Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Going from pup to hybrid...cant wait...

I am so excited we are trading in our 2010 1206 pup for a 2011 23j....we have been looking for a long time and finally got a new tv so I found us an awsome deal on the 23j.....were picking it up in a couple weeks! any thoughts on mods or problems anyone has had that we should watch out for???

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab
2011 Jayco 23j:hihi:
elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

You will love it! Here are couple of issues we have had

Watch out for the sink drain. Ours leaked before delivery. Turned out to be a cracked fitting on the sink drain.

Another item to check out is the screws that hold the table's mounts to the floor. They backed out after two or three trips and several had been stripped.

Jayco put ours in using flat pan head self tapping screws that were woefully inadequate. Not only that, the mounts are counter sunk for cabinet screws. To fix this, I replaced them with cabinet screws that have a counter sunk heads and fit perfectly into mounts. They hold 1000 times better than the factory screws and look better too.

Replace this:

With this:
Attached Images

davenginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

elstonian--- Check out the ' MODS" posts for Ideas. Thats what I did and I made our tt a lot more user friendly.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

We just got ours as well at the beginning of June. We too got a deal we couldn't pass up. The problem I found was I went up on the roof to just inspect things and found the front roof seam right in the middle of the aluminum cap had a pulled a screw up and created a void between the rubber roofing and the aluminum cap. And the dacor sealant was not adhering to the
front plastic cap as well. We didn't have any leakage so that was good. Might be worth a look around on the roof. This could happen on any roof so it may be well worth your time to go up and take a look around.

davenginny & elstonian I have a question for both of you since we all have the same model. As I said we got a good deal, so we put the cart before the horse. We have the 23J but no TV to pull it. We are going to get a Chevy 2500 HD extended cab but the question is gas or diesel? I don't need it for work. We do keep our vehicles till the wheels fall off. We will be traveling more in the future.
So how does your TV do pulling the 23J? Do you have gas rigs? What type of mileage are you getting?
If you had your choice for pulling the 23J which way would you go?
2500 HD (coming soon)
Zoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

davenginny, I also had a cracked fitting on my kitchen sink drain. The hose that runs from the left side of the slideout to a fitting behind the left part of the slideout, the fitting cracked. There was a metal bracket and a few hose clamps that were supposed to keep stress off the plastic fitting when the slideout moved in and out. The clamps actually neeed to be tightened to do their job. I replaced the cracked fitting with a steel nipple and elbow.
I'll have to check the dinette screws.
Check out the drawer I made for underneath the oven, It's in the Mod section.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

tcalrson: I loved the drawer and will be doing that with ours soon. Our dealer replaced the cracked fitting and all is good now.

zoltar: I already had a Ram 2500 diesel before we purchased the 23J. Therefore...I have to say go for the diesel, although I do not know much about the GM diesel except that I hear they have great transmissions. I use my truck daily and enjoy getting 20mpg traveling to and from work. Much less with the 23J (14 mpg) I also feel that over all the diesel makes a more stable TV. As for towing, I notice the weight, but do not notice any side to side movement.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #7

Zoltar, our sierra 2500 is gas, we only drive it on weekends and on camping trips, we havent picked up our 23j yet but with the 1206 pup we were getting 12mpg, so I'll have to let ya know after we pick it up cuz it's a 8 hr. round trip to where we bought it from.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

davenginny, thanks for the info I'll def. check it out when we do our walkthrough.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #9

I added shelves to the back closet. I am planning on adding a heat duct for the back bunk, a guy did it on another forum and it seems easy. Just got to get the nerve to start taking apart the bottom shelve of the rear closet to get at the heat duct, I am mechanically challenged. We also had a sticky window above the dinette.
yorkgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #10

Thanks elstonian, I'll be looking for your post. I'm also interested in your thoughts on how
Your gas tv performs pulling the 23J. I'm not looking to set land speed records, but I like to have reserve power and braking just in case..... And it's a beautiful day here on lake Michigan at Grand Haven State Park dreaming about camping in our 23J soon.
2500 HD (coming soon)
Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #11

Well we finally picked up the new 23j, on our way up to get it we were pulling our trade in a 2010 Jayco 1206, our truck got 13mpg, on the way home.......wait for it......8.2mpg!! wow what a difference! so far we havent been back up to 10 so it looks like pulling the new rig will not help us on gas!!!

2011 Jayco X23J
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab(gas)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #12

elstonian -- Drag is drag, our 19h has the same drag as most tt's & with a total weight of just over 11k I get just under 10 mpg at 60 mph & just under 9 at 65-70 mph.Notice the optimism, "just under 10 instead of over 9". Larry
Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #13

elstonian, Well glad to hear you made it alright.
Yes, that is disappointing about the gas mileage. But look at what you gained in room, comfort and luxury!
I guess if it’s just about fuel we should all get economy cars and tents ! LOL!!! Not gona happen….

So how did it pull for you otherwise, have enough power to feel confident on the road?
What is and how did your hitch set up work for you.
2500 HD (coming soon)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #14

This spring my fiance and I had picked up our X23J from a local dealer. Got an awesome deal on it at the RV and Camping show in Green Bay, WI. Anyway, the only things that we noticed so far, is to double check all your connectors and screws for everything (something that the dealer should do), but double check it.

The first time we hooked up the to higher pressure of "city water", we had a pool of water form under the sink and on the floor. Hand tightened the connector for the faucet and all was great (after cleanup!!!! LOL). Same with using the toilet (it is the clean water fill that was loose, not the "bad water")....

Also, plumbers caulk around sink was starting to pull out....that was a warranty fix.... nothing major....

As far as towing, I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 4x4 without the towing package. I have to tow with the overdrive off and on the interstate average 8-9mpg with the A/C on..... (took a 560 mile trip across WI this summer).... I have a soft tonneau cover on the truck, so the front face of the camper is a huge wall on the highway...LOL

Good luck and have fun with the camper....we absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

Chris and Sheri
shadowhawk7676 is offline   Reply With Quote