Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Grease the WDH to eliminate noise?

We get a lot of creaking and groaning when making turns, and my suspicion is that it's either the WDH or (less likely) the ball hitch. Is it a good idea to grease the bars or where the bars sit on the WDH, or is this just normal noise that we should ignore? This is our first camper and the dealer didn't mention anything about it.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

It's normal noise. Annoying, yes... But totally normal.

I would say "no", does not need to use grease.

I have used a light amount of lubricant in the past on the spring bars which does eliminate the noise, but probably eliminates some of the sway control..?

I used it because my family was embarrassed to pull in the our neighborhood after camping because of the groaning on slow tight turns. However, in the camp ground, most trailers on the move have a similar noise when passing.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
It's normal noise. Annoying, yes... But totally normal.

I have used a light amount of lubricant in the past on the spring bars which does eliminate the noise, but probably eliminates some of the sway control..?
Thanks. That's good to hear at least. It sounds like a dying dog back there sometimes! I did wonder about the sway control aspect, as (in my limited knowledge) it seems like the sway is kept under control by friction between the bars and the ledge where they sit (whatever that's called).
Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
We get a lot of creaking and groaning when making turns, and my suspicion is that it's either the WDH or (less likely) the ball hitch. Is it a good idea to grease the bars or where the bars sit on the WDH, or is this just normal noise that we should ignore? This is our first camper and the dealer didn't mention anything about it.
It's normal for the Equal-i-zer® Hitch brand. The rear of the load bars are metal-to-metal contact. I paint the bars and brackets from time to time. It quiets it down for a while and there is no grease to get on stuff you don't want it on.

The sockets in the Equal-i-zer® Hitch head, however, should be lubed.

The hitch ball and hitch latch mechanism should be lubed occasionally.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Equalizer makes a sway bracket jacket to reduce noise. I haven't tried them so can't say how they work.
Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
Old 12-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

And interesting that on the page linked above it says:

Quote:
NOTE: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, may lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree.

The anti-sway relies on the friction between the two components to manage the sway. Putting lube on here is kind of like getting grease on your brake pads. They still work, but not very well.

I have friction anti-sway, and find that taking the bar out and cleaning it will often reduce the noise. Husky recommends occasionally cleaning the friction surface.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

alot depends on the WDH that you have. please post which model you have.

Absolutely grease the ball. I use bearing grease, and re-grease every 1500 miles. if you have an equalizer brand, grease the pivot points on the head. I use differential grease,which acts like really thick motor oil.

this combo removes all hitch noise for me.

you can find the recommended grease points online for your particular wdh.

good luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #8

On our second trip of our rookie season ours made so much noise that I thought we lost a wheel bearing. Our Husky hitch has grease fittings for the bars, but I just put some lithium grease on them when we hookup. If it starts creaking again I know I need to lube more.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

The equalizer manual explains where you should apply grease. On the hitch head itself, where the sway bars pivot is one of those locations, prevents rust, wear and tear, and some of the noise.

The application of greese on the other end of the bars, where they are locked into their L_brackets is an optional location to apply a little grease as well. Per equalizer, putting grease in these optional locations does reduce (but who knows how much) some of your anti-sway capability.

I use grease in both locations, and have no issues with sway, so it's really a personal preference. If you have zero sway issues and the noise is driving you crazy, no harm using a small amount of grease at all of those contact points. If you don't like the results, wipe it off, no harm, no foul.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I have a Reese wdh with 600lb friction bars. Those bars get locked into brake pad type surface for friction. I wouldn't want to grease those. Just the hitch ball, which I regret every time I walk into it
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post

I use grease in both locations, and have no issues with sway, so it's really a personal preference. If you have zero sway issues and the noise is driving you crazy, no harm using a small amount of grease at all of those contact points. If you don't like the results, wipe it off, no harm, no foul.
X2
Old 12-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

Thanks for all of the responses! I do put some spray-on white lithium lubricant on the ball just about every time we go out, and I thought greasing the bars might be a bad idea. Sounds like I was right, and we'll just get used to the moaning and creaking!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

The dealer loaded my coupler with black grease. I got in there and wiped all that out. The little residue left is enough for my liking. Like I said earlier I constantly walk into the hitch all the time. I know it's there, but I still do it anyway. Tired of bloody shins and greasy pants. At least I got the pants thing figured out, the gashes in my shins.......that's a different story
Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
The dealer loaded my coupler with black grease. I got in there and wiped all that out. The little residue left is enough for my liking. Like I said earlier I constantly walk into the hitch all the time. I know it's there, but I still do it anyway. Tired of bloody shins and greasy pants. At least I got the pants thing figured out, the gashes in my shins.......that's a different story
I use this soft ball cover (link below). Works great to contain grease and prevents scrapes. I have 2 small kids and have never had a problem with anyone contacting the hitch ball.
REESE TOWING SOFT HITCH BALL GUARD COVER, 4-FLAT STORE AREA Fits All Hitch Balls | eBay
Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Thanks gowild but I think the only thing that would help me is a big old orange safety cone and some hockey shin guards. My truck is also my work vehicle so I'm in and out of it all day.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
I use this soft ball cover (link below). Works great to contain grease and prevents scrapes. I have 2 small kids and have never had a problem with anyone contacting the hitch ball.
REESE TOWING SOFT HITCH BALL GUARD COVER, 4-FLAT STORE AREA Fits All Hitch Balls | eBay
Pretty cool. My wife used to walk into the hitch all the time, now she makes me take it off the truck when we arrive. It's in the bed with the bars and other hitch related stuff, but I may have to pick that 'ball guard' up so I have one less heavy item to deal with during setup.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #17

I've only walked into a hitch ball once. Exactly once. That was enough for me. I have trained myself to give the rear end of a truck a "wide berth". Much like being around horses; don't walk around the rear of a horse too close, or you might regret it. Even when I'm walking in a parking lot, I take a wide swing around pickups whether there's a hitch there or not; it's just a habit now ingrained over many years.

As for OP: Lots of good advice here already on lubricating the friction points that are essential to your sway control. When I first purchased my trailer, I put a little bit of petroleum jelly on them to quiet down the noise. My logic was that petroleum jelly is a really bad lubricant, so I was unlikely to lose a lot of the friction for the sway control.

Incidentally, it worked pretty well, and the hitch was quiet. It only took a tiny dab of the "goo" to make it work. I wiped it off later though because it was messy. I had a greasy mess on BOTH ends of the spring bars. Just a little "food for thought". As was mentioned before, if it doesn't work out, you can wipe it off easily. And if you have an Equal-i-zer, and you're annoyed enough, I would look at the jackets that are available from Progress Mfg. that are purpose made.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
As for OP: Lots of good advice here already on lubricating the friction points that are essential to your sway control. When I first purchased my trailer, I put a little bit of petroleum jelly on them to quiet down the noise. My logic was that petroleum jelly is a really bad lubricant, so I was unlikely to lose a lot of the friction for the sway control.

Incidentally, it worked pretty well, and the hitch was quiet. It only took a tiny dab of the "goo" to make it work. I wiped it off later though because it was messy. I had a greasy mess on BOTH ends of the spring bars. Just a little "food for thought". As was mentioned before, if it doesn't work out, you can wipe it off easily. And if you have an Equal-i-zer, and you're annoyed enough, I would look at the jackets that are available from Progress Mfg. that are purpose made.
Thanks for the info. It just seems like what we're hearing is totally normal. We'll deal with it.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
I have a Reese wdh with 600lb friction bars. Those bars get locked into brake pad type surface for friction. I wouldn't want to grease those. Just the hitch ball, which I regret every time I walk into it
The purpose of the bars is weight distribution, not sway prevention. The friction bar with the tightening lever on it is what prevents/stops sway.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Yes I understand that, that's why there are different weight class bars offered. My 600lb bars are fit to my TT&TV.
FWIW, I never mentioned sway. Unless your referring to me walking into my hitch, then yes occasionally after a few cold ones I've swayed and caused myself to shout out expletives as I clean up the blood running down my shins.