Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greobr33 View Post
Well everyone will have an opinion. Regardless, I think it is imperative to touch the hubs at each gas stop. Most mechanical systems will give warning signs if there is a problem. Do some service of your choice and check the temp often.

Happy trails,

Greg
Excellent advice !

Btw be prepare to run with warmer hub in you use the dexter E-Z lub. packing the hub with grease is a sure way too increase the hub temperature. you wont do any harm however too much of something is like not enough sometimes

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Excellent advice !

Btw be prepare to run with warmer hub in you use the dexter E-Z lub. packing the hub with grease is a sure way too increase the hub temperature. you wont do any harm however too much of something is like not enough sometimes
Curiosity....

I've been testing hubs and tires at each stop by giving the top of the tire a good shove inward to check for runout. Any noteworthy wear will be heard and felt as short, soft 'click' either when pressure is applied or released.

Please elucidate on how hub temperatures are indications of potential problems.

I understand how one tire being hotter than the others usually indicates under inflation, but what hub temps would be normal? What should one look for at a fuel/food/potty stop?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Curiosity....

I've been testing hubs and tires at each stop by giving the top of the tire a good shove inward to check for runout. Any noteworthy wear will be heard and felt as short, soft 'click' either when pressure is applied or released.

Please elucidate on how hub temperatures are indications of potential problems.

I understand how one tire being hotter than the others usually indicates under inflation, but what hub temps would be normal? What should one look for at a fuel/food/potty stop?
Rule of thumb and from my experience , if its too hot to be touched its too hot !
Grease purging from the front cap or seal is another clue you are running too hot.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #24

doing some research too support my dislike of easy lub and overfilling hub with grease :The issue of overheating is related to fluid friction, which is a result of fluid churning. This is a secondary effect of overfilling the cavity at the time of relubrication

Old 10-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
...snip I understand how one tire being hotter than the others usually indicates under inflation, but what hub temps would be normal? What should one look for at a fuel/food/potty stop?
Just like you check for different tire temps and hope you don't find a hot one, I also feel the hubs (and the tires) to see if one is hotter than the others and hope all 4 are similar.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Rule of thumb and from my experience , if its too hot to be touched its too hot !
Grease purging from the front cap or seal is another clue you are running too hot.
But what is normal? I've read other posters use an IR gun to read hub and tire temps.

I'm too used to handling hot things with gloves and plyers to go grabbing something I know has been spinning for 200 miles with my bare hands!

Tires radiate heat a fair distance. So, one can get an open hand between the wheel well and be 3"-4" away and get a sense of how hot the tire is, then approach slowly. Contact the tread if it is cooler than a fresh dinner plate that the waiter handled with a towel. Doesn't hurt? Move to next. Check all 8. No surprises, check the hitch.

How does one safely approach a lump of steel with a tin and rubber cap? We're way below any visible signs of heating (glowing red or yellow).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #27

Quote:
But what is normal? I've read other posters use an IR gun to read hub and tire temps.

I'm too used to handling hot things with gloves and plyers to go grabbing something I know has been spinning for 200 miles with my bare hands!

Tires radiate heat a fair distance. So, one can get an open hand between the wheel well and be 3"-4" away and get a sense of how hot the tire is, then approach slowly. Contact the tread if it is cooler than a fresh dinner plate that the waiter handled with a towel. Doesn't hurt? Move to next. Check all 8. No surprises, check the hitch.

How does one safely approach a lump of steel with a tin and rubber cap? We're way below any visible signs of heating (glowing red or yellow).
Cant tell for IR gun sorry, all I can say is that is not everybody in the mechanical field that are carrying a IR Gun ,but every mechanics have 2 hands ...

I tried to find some sort of chart for this application ( wheel brg ) and there is so many variable that I dont think one exist ,

That being said , charts exist for stationnery brg, like pillow block , but once again IIRC the temps must be taken under load when spinning...hard to do on I 95 LOL

like said before a quick touch to the hub with precaution if you like is a pretty good way to stay out of trouble,

Also lithium grease , I mean the very common wheel bearing grease melt at around 350 F IIRC ..... so if you are running that hot, you wont need to touch the hub to know that its hot the heat will radiate enough to warn you.

Once again , if your bearing preload is good, if you are using the proper grease in the proper amount I would say 120f in hot weather or even less is what you should see with your IRGun. 20/30 degrees over ambiant temp is a good start

At more than 150F I would start to be worry , over 200 F .....I would stop and investigate .

Try not running the trailer brake too hard if you want to take a reading

Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
Site Team

I use a IR gun to check tire and hub temps. I just check to make sure all 4 are pretty close to the same temps. If one would be 20 or more degrees hotter than the other 3 then I would spend some time trying to figure out why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #29

curb side brg and tires can run a bit warmer than street side, also tires beaten by the sun in the middle of the day can also run warmer.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
I use a IR gun to check tire and hub temps. I just check to make sure all 4 are pretty close to the same temps. If one would be 20 or more degrees hotter than the other 3 then I would spend some time trying to figure out why.

Exactly. I do the same on longer trips. You want to compare the temps, not look for exact temps. One tire hotter than the others, probably underinflated. One hub hotter than the others, probably damaged or under lubricated.

Either way, probably a good idea to inspect them a little further.

I don't check my bearings every year, but I plan to check them every other year. Takes about 2 hours or so to do, probably faster if you aren't as dumb as me. Nice fall afternoon out of the house, getting my hands dirty... its not too bad!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #31

I just got back from a 2 hour trip and found one wheel a lot hotter than the other three. Looking at adding Timken bearings. How do you know which bearings and seals to get? Do you have to pull them out first and cross reference?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I think you can also get the number off your axle and they can tell you the bearing.

I think I was able to do this and get bearings from eTrailer.com

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post
I just got back from a 2 hour trip and found one wheel a lot hotter than the other three. Looking at adding Timken bearings. How do you know which bearings and seals to get? Do you have to pull them out first and cross reference?

As Doug said get the model number and weight off the axle tag. Then go to Dexters web site and look up your axle, if I remember right they start by weight then model number to look up bearings. Once you have the numbers then you can cross ref to Timken. I don't recall etrailer having anything but China bearings. I looked around and Amazon had the best prices, they sell them by sets which is cheaper than buying the bearing and cup separate. The sets I got were Made in USA which was great.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #34

Pull the bearings and seals and take them to your neighborhood trailer shop or even auto parts store to match. They will carry Timken and you'll be buying local to boot.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post

Any possibility the extra heat is from the brakes on that wheel being adjusted a bit tighter?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #36

I raised them and it spun fairly easy. I also have a Lippert axle and Dexter hubs. So, I'm assuming I can't look up the axle. Maybe the hub. Gotta find a part number for it.