Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Question Hard to close Gray Water valve.

Has anyone figured a way to close the gray water valve easily? I'm amazed that Jayco didn't use a valve positioned like the black water valve which is easy to get to and easy to close.
Camp-Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

must be just your model....Mine is perfect
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

You might want to explain more. My gray valve is the same as my black valve. Easy to open and close.

Also it is easier if you include your TT and TV type in your signature.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

I have the 2010 Jay Feather 17C. My black water valve is facing out and is easy to operate.
My gray water valve is way underneath the trailer somewhat behind the tire. It is very hard to reach and very very hard to push up to close it.
It makes dumping extremely hard.
I'm 66 and not as spry as I used to be.
I'll need to see a chiropractor each time I go out unless someone can tell me how to make opening and closing that valve easier.
Bob @ Camp-Zilla
Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-Zilla View Post
Has anyone figured a way to close the gray water valve easily? I'm amazed that Jayco didn't use a valve positioned like the black water valve which is easy to get to and easy to close.
Unit model # would help.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Ugh, that sounds lousy. Sorry I can't help, mine is very easy just like the black tank. Is there some kind of extender?
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #7

Same here. 17C, the grey water valve is ridiculous and I actually need to get on one knee at the dumping station in order to get under to open/close it.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Anything is fixable I guess depending on how much it bothers you. You could always cut the pipes and get new valves and rebuild it to better suit you . It isn't a hard job and wouldn't cost too much.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Thanks for the idea nbhybrid. I'll contact my dealer and see what it would cost. Camp-Zilla
Old 08-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

I wonder if something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...words=rv+valve

I don't know much about them, but couldn't you connect this to your sewer outlet, and then leave the original grey valve open all the time, just using this removable valve?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I wonder if something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...words=rv+valve

I don't know much about them, but couldn't you connect this to your sewer outlet, and then leave the original grey valve open all the time, just using this removable valve?
except standard practice is to dump your black tank first then your gray tank so your inner gray valve would have to be closed.

I don't rinse with my grey because I fill the black tank up a couple of times anyway with fresh water to rinse
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

As I understand it, the black water could black flow into the gray water tank and this could result in odor problems.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
except standard practice is to dump your black tank first then your gray tank so your inner gray valve would have to be closed.

I don't rinse with my grey because I fill the black tank up a couple of times anyway with fresh water to rinse
This makes sense. In this scenario, you'd almost certainly have to have some kind of rinse to make it work because you would have to dump your tanks out of order. However you do it, you'd want some way to run something down that hose to rinse the black dump out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-Zilla View Post
As I understand it, the black water could black flow into the gray water tank and this could result in odor problems.
This doesn't make sense because your black valve would remain closed except when you're dumping. Unless the black went back up the grey when you were dumping? I don't see it happening, and I've left my grey valve open while dumping my black several times and never experienced ill effects. If you had to open the black valve and then for some reason had to close it really quick, and the Valterra add on valve was still closed, I suppose you could get some black up into the grey piping, but I see that as being quite a remote possibility. Or if you weren't paying attention and pulled the black valve without opening the Valterra add on valve, it could back flow into the grey tank. Again, some small amount of diligence will prevent this.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #14

As an alternative, on my valves, the black valve is tucked WAY up under the trailer and has a REALLY long handle. I wonder if you could just put a longer handle on the existing valve?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #15

I also have a 17c with the same problem. A longer handle will not work as the handle points downward at an odd angle. Re-piping the valve would be difficult; there is not much room.

I've had some success with a small garden rake I bring along to tend campfires. If I get it just right on the valve handle, I can shove it up or pull it down without crawling around at the poop dump. I'm thinking of making something that will grab the handle better than the rake.

What was Jayco thinking when they designed this???
Old 09-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I also have a 17c with the same problem. A longer handle will not work as the handle points downward at an odd angle. Re-piping the valve would be difficult; there is not much room.
Does anyone have some good pics of what is going on?

Anything is re-buildable. Hacksaw off whats there and get some pipe from Home depot and some valves from camco. Wouldn't cost 75 dollars
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
...Anything is re-buildable. Hacksaw off whats there and get some pipe from Home depot and some valves from camco. Wouldn't cost 75 dollars
Your first sentence is true, but the sentence following it can leave a lot to be desired once you realize the amount of work involved to accomplish the task. While it looks simple on paper, these kind of modifications can prove to be quite challenging to the backyard RV mechanic.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Your first sentence is true, but the sentence following it can leave a lot to be desired once you realize the amount of work involved to accomplish the task. While it looks simple on paper, these kind of modifications can prove to be quite challenging to the backyard RV mechanic.
perhaps..so then I would suggest to take it to a plumber, even a first year guy could rebuild it. Might cost you an extra 50 bucks
Old 08-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #19

My Jayco 17C has the same problem. I keep a small garden rake in my pickup for tending fires and reaching things that are up inside the pickup bed. I've found that it can be used to hook the handle of the offending valve.

Changing the plumbing around looks like a nightmare; there is no room to move anything. I have thought of a remote pull handle but it would have to be mounted at 90 degrees to the current valve or it would drag on the ground. I guess I'll look more into it when the rake breaks the existing handle!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #20

Oops--I replied to the same question twice; sorry.