Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Heat Dissipation

Hi All, Maybe this has been posted before, but a search didn't locate it immediately. I am wondering if anyone worries about excessive heat building up in the camper during the summer being all closed up. Do you leave a window cracked or do anything else to prevent heat damage or warping due to high temperatures?
Thanks in advance!
Ben
coloradocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

I had the dealer throw in MaxAire vent covers on the roof. I keep the roof vents open all year long - even cracked a bit in the winter. It keeps the trailer aired out and prevents condensation buildup in the winter. They aren't expensive and easy to install. I have the smoke-colored ones, which cuts down on the sunlight coming through in the early morning.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocamping View Post
Hi All, Maybe this has been posted before, but a search didn't locate it immediately. I am wondering if anyone worries about excessive heat building up in the camper during the summer being all closed up. Do you leave a window cracked or do anything else to prevent heat damage or warping due to high temperatures?
Thanks in advance!
Ben
Like Scoutr2, I plan to keep roof vents (with covers) open all year.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #4

That is the beauty of the max air vent covers. Leave them open all summer long

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #5

I keep one roof vent and one jalousie window cracked open about an inch. I have the luxury of being able to store our trailer at our house, so I'm less worried about the window than I would be if I stored it somewhere else.

I've been doing that ever since we got our first TT and it's never been more than 10 degrees above ambient in there. Our trailer us on the NE side of our house, so it really only gets a little bit of full sun in the morning, which also helps.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Ben
we have moss and tree pitch problems where I live (pacific northwest).

but yes, I do leave the roof vents open under my max air covers.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGeek View Post
I keep one roof vent and one jalousie window cracked open about an inch. I have the luxury of being able to store our trailer at our house, so I'm less worried about the window than I would be if I stored it somewhere else.
Same. I never really worried about the heat so much. On our old camper I noticed that it would start to smell like mildew after sitting closed up for a while. I opened opposing windows to air it out one day and forgot to close them. Came back a couple days later and had no smell. Decided to always leave something cracked at both ends of the trailer to ensure air movement.

No smells and no excessive heat gain now.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #8

I also installed a vent cover and leave it open all the time. We've had some pretty serious rainy weather around here lately, and I check the trailer in storage after every rainstorm. I've never found a drop inside my trailer. Worst I've had is a few dead bugs in the shower pan.

Even with the vent open, it still gets pretty hot in there in the summer, but not enough to do any damage that I know of.

Downside with mine is I only have that one vent over the bathroom. It would be nice to have two and maybe get a little cross-ventilation. I won't leave windows open while it's in storage. But if I open a window and turn on the vent fan, I can get a nice breeze going that removes hot stale air pretty quick.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
That is the beauty of the max air vent covers. Leave them open all summer long

ditto!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I also installed a vent cover and leave it open all the time. We've had some pretty serious rainy weather around here lately, and I check the trailer in storage after every rainstorm. I've never found a drop inside my trailer. Worst I've had is a few dead bugs in the shower pan.

Even with the vent open, it still gets pretty hot in there in the summer, but not enough to do any damage that I know of.

Downside with mine is I only have that one vent over the bathroom. It would be nice to have two and maybe get a little cross-ventilation. I won't leave windows open while it's in storage. But if I open a window and turn on the vent fan, I can get a nice breeze going that removes hot stale air pretty quick.

Same on my trailer. I don't understand why Jayco only installs one vent. There really should be one for every 8' of trailer, in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Same on my trailer. I don't understand why Jayco only installs one vent. There really should be one for every 8' of trailer, in my opinion.
That's a good idea. I've thought about cutting one in the front bedroom, but haven't felt the need yet (at least not enough to overcome the fear of cutting a hole in the roof! LOL!). I have 2nd AC prep, so it should be all framed out already and has power to the spot, so I could put a Fantastic or something in there pretty easy I guess...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #12

I seem to have an overabundance of vents - my TH has four:

1) Bedroom
2) Over the Galley
3) Bathroom - the only powered vent
4) Garage

To clarify an earlier point about my venting strategy, I crack open one roof vent and one window so the warm air will rise and be drawn up and out of the vent. However, the primary reason for that is because I want to keep the humidity stable and the trailer being cooler is just a nice bonus. The same vent/window are left cracked open when we're doing cold weather camping with good results (no condensation on the windows).
Old 06-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Depending on your model and upgrade level they do include additional roof vents. My 2015 27RLS has one in bathroom and one in living room. I believe it was part of the Elite package.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Depending on your model and upgrade level they do include additional roof vents. My 2015 27RLS has one in bathroom and one in living room. I believe it was part of the Elite package.

I have the Elite Package and extra vents were not an option. I can definitely see me adding a couple after my warranty period is up.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #15

What vent are yall talking about opening? The one over the toilet??? I'm not sure my 03 23B has a roof vent like you all are talking about.
bluebonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #16

Both roof vents have MaxAir covers and stay open all the time. Have had no rain or snow entry issues. I also have found that if I leave one of the crank open windows open about 1/2" it helps draw cooler air in. I store at home now, when it was in storage, I closed all windows.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #17

My Whitehawk only has one vent as well. (over toilet)
I put a Fantastic Fan and cover over it but I sure wish there were more vents!

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Do you leave a window cracked or do anything else to prevent heat damage or warping due to high temperatures?
Thanks in advance!
Ben
Thats something I thought about when I was deciding between a cover or an enclosure. An enclosure lets you open roof vents and keeps the direct sun off as well.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #19
Site Team

We have the MaxAire vent covers on the front and rear ceiling vents. I keep the front ceiling vent (no fan) closed. The rear vent fan has a thermostat and it runs during the day and turns off around 7PM. I have one of the side windows cracked open about 2 inches. I close the front vent because for about 3 hours a day the FLORIDA sun is beating down on the TT's roof, which directs the heated roof air into the TT. By leaving the side window open the 2 inches, lets a little cooler air into the TT. Never gets the musty odor. The average daily temp inside the TT is around 88 degrees (have a weather station temp monitor in the TT).

The nice part is that I do not need to plug in the TT while at home because the SOLAR cares for all the TT's electrical needs between camping trips.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, summer, window