Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Help! new 19xud owner in Alaska

My wife and I recently purchased a Jay feather 19xud. From the first time I have been getting a fault message telling me that the trailer brakes are not grounded from my brake controller. I had it back to the dealership to get a couple small things worked on but after I picked it up I'm still getting the same fault codes. The trailer brakes have never worked. Is there anything simple that I can check myself to try and fix this, or do I need to haul it down to the dealership again. Also, on a different note, I found what looks like a single black metal jack foot under my sink. What is this , and what is its purpose. I don't see it in the manual at all.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Alaskachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

That is for mounting a tv on outside, there should be a little black oval shaped thing that bracket would attach to.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

If you haven't already done this, I might suggest confirming if the issue is the TT or the TV. Have you tried "borrowing" a quick plug in from another trailer with 7-pin to see if the same fault comes up?

The wiring for the brakes is usually pretty obvious/exposed as well, you can visually inspect the see if there are any broken/unconnected wires coming from the backing plates of the brakes. They often use crimp on connectors back there, one might be off.
After that, it is either pulling out a multi-meter for self-diagnosis, or taking it back to the stealership.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #4

Thank you for your response. I have looked at the wiring to the brakes and don't see any thing that stands out, although I admit I am a novice. I'm going to try to trigger the emergency brake today to see if they are functioning at all. I might have to get it into the dealership if I can't figure it out. It's a giant hassle because it takes forever to get warranty work done there.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

I had a similar problem with my connection when I picked up my TT at the dealer. They wired my controller for me, and as it turns out they did it incorrectly. When I informed them of the error, the TT dealer (Camping World) told me my 7pin connector on the TV must be faulty, so I took my Sequoia to my Toyota dealer to check. They told me it worked fine. Because I live 3 hours from Camping World, taking it back to them was not an option.

I took the electrical tape off of the wiring under the dash and compared it to the documentation that came with the controller. It was quickly apparent that Camping World had wired the ground to the headlamps. The pigtail they were using (that came with my TV) was not suitable for the Prodigy controller (the number of wires didn't match up). I went on Amazon and bought a new one specifically for my TV and the Prodigy controller. Installation was so easy, it was simple plug and play once I received the delivery from Amazon.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

I have the pigtail adapter that is specific to my tv. All the lights and signals work on the trailer just the brake controller is telling me that there is a ground problem. I've inspected all the brake wires that I can see, and the ground on the tongue of the trailer looks fine. It's a drawtite activator 4 controller. I really don't know what to do.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #7

When mine was wrongly installed, it was with the pigtail that came with my TV. The problem was that the Toyota sequoia pigtail wasn't compatible with the brake controller. Does yours have a plug that slips right into the back of the controller or is the pigtail manually suited to the controller?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #8

The brake controller plugs into the adapter harness. The harness is specific to my vehicle . As soon as I plug the 7 pin from the tt to the tv I get a flashing o9 code on the adapter. Which when I looked in the manual told me it was a code for a brake ground problem while connected to the tt. I beginning to think this could be problem on the tv side, but I've already checked that the harness is correct and plugged into the proper place. I don't know how to check the 7 pin port on the hitch to see if it could be the problem. I've attached pictures of the controller plug and harness plug they appear to match up to me???
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Here's the second pic. The adapter harness side.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #10

I am curious about the side of the harness that plugs into your TV. With the harness I bought for my Prodigy (P2) controller to fit my Sequoia, it had a plug that fits right into the port under my dash, and a separate white wire that is attached to the frame of the vehicle via a ground screw. Follow the white wire... where does it end?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:06 PM   #11

Problem fixed

Turns out that the adapter harness from the OEM port to the brake controller was the wrong one. The one that they sell for the Ford flex is a 3034p. But it turns out that the one I needed is the one for the Ford F150. With the adapter that I had on there the brake controller signal was constant and the ground was hot. I switched out the adapters and now everything is working great!! Thanks for all of your advice
Old 07-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Glad you got it fixed!
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, grounded