Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Help with purchase

Hi,

Newbie here. The wife and I have been looking at trailers for over a year and it is about time to pull the trigger. We have had our hearts set on the 23B for a while now. Love the openness and storage. However we recently stumbled across a used 26L and absolutely LOVE the floorplan. We have four small kids (ages 2-5) and the 4 bunks are beyond perfect. While we were not only looking at NEW trailers, we did want a NEWER one and since the 26L was discontinued the ones we are looking at are a 2006 and a 2007 (there are 2 for sale in our area).

Question's are: Thoughts on this model? Things to look for during inspection? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Damon
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

Get up on the roof on your hands and knees and inspect every inch of caulk, and around everything that came through the roof( water is the killer of these things. Look at the back side of the water heater where all the water connections are and look for water stains on the wood and drip stains. Look around the water pump. Check the date on the tires and look for cracks and tread ware. Rusty screws both inside and outside. Make sure everything works correctly. Every panel that unscrews just take it off and look inside and all around. Don't be shy,he's taking your money . Make sure both Grey and Black drain valves work properly and don't leak.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Check out the 23J as well. Similar to the 23B but different table set-up.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

Look underneath the kitchen sink for water damage to the counter top and you need to look at the back of it so this is when your smart phone will come in real handy. Remember DON'T BE SHY.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #5

We bought a used '05 23B and absolutely fell in love with it. After purchasing it I started reading about all kinds of issues with the TPO roof and sure enough, within two months we had a leak and delamination on the driver side.

The dealer is splitting the cost of the repair with us and is installing an EPDM roof instead. I hope this works.

My advice is to buy new if you can. I have a friend who also bought a used TT and he had a roof leak as well. You have to worry not only about the leak but also about if you are going to have delamination, black mold in the wall, etc.

I would research the roof very, very well on whatever it is you are considering on purchasing - there are some very good videos on YouTube that point out what you should be looking for (as far as detecting a leak or previous leak damage) when inspecting a camper.
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the advise........headed to dealer on Wednesday to haggle. Wish me luck
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote