Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

How big of a Generator??

We are going to purchase a generator to power our X23B, and want to be able to run as if plugged into a normal 30 amp service.
We are in FL So the AC is critical.
To as I am mechanically challenged is an understatement, so how much power do I need to keep the wife and dogs comfy when we don't have shore power?
SECOND, any suggestions on brands or makes would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Yamaha EF2400iSHC and it will run my 13.5K A/C.

Just a little info om my generator choice: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ghlight=yamaha

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

You will get a ton of responses on this topic.

I use a Honda EU3000is and while it is not true 30 Amps it powers my 13.5 btu A/C unit and everything else I need while off the grid. It also does it pretty quietly as compared to some of the non-invertor models.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #4

To answer your question exactly 30 amps is 3600 watts.

I would recommend at least 3000 watts to be sure you can cover the A/C starting load.

Get a Honda or a Yamaha inverter generator. They are more expensive but they will make for better relations with your neighbors. They are pretty quiet. Do not get any of the construction grade generators. They are noisy and the power in not as clean as the inverter type. Electronics don't like dirty power.

Stay away from the Chinese inverter generator knock-offs. There are many complaints found on the internet about their poor quality, high failure rate and lack of support to get them repaired.

Bite the bullet. Buy quality. You will be much happier.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

I had to go with what works for me and my style of camping.

Of course when you first get your big ole trailer the first thing that comes up is we are going to need a generator to run our whole trailer including air conditioning for those times when we are not around shore power.

I said the same thing.... Then reality sets in... As it turned out there was very few places that we went to that allowed the use of generators. Those that did allow generators had generator use time restrictions. hard to find any place that will let you run one after dark. There are exceptions of course but those places for us was hard to find. I understand out west it is more less restricted but still exists for the norm.

Since we really favor camping off the power grid in the Natl Forest locations and up on ridge somewhere with no facilities what-so-ever I decided the best approach for us would be to beef-up the trailer battery system to be able to run all the 120VAC and 12VDC appliance we really want to use the most from the battery system.

This of course means having smart mode converter/charger capability, bigger batteries, beefed-up cables, led lights, use of inverter for 120VAC items, and alot of planning on what you can do and what you can't do with the game plan designed to do all of this in a one day/night camping experience. The design means you have the capability to do all of these things and not deplete your battery system below the 50% charge state. Then the next morning usually during breakfast you are allowed to run your generator for a few hours and this is the time to re-charge you batteries. Even here alot of places only allow two hours of generator run times at 8AM-10AM in the morning. Not alot of generator run time for you to use.

You take what you can get and start your Battery Bank re-charge process by connecting the trailer shore power cable directly to the generator and allowing the on-board converter/charger system re-charge your batteries. As it turns out the two hours generator run time will not re-charge your battery bank back up to its 90% charge state so you will have to re-charge again in the early evening when allowed to run the generator again. It works out just fine for us and by Supper time we have our battery bank back up to over 90% charge state and can make it through the next day/night run off the batteries. Of course none of this will allow you to use your air conditioner or other high current appliances.

My only need for my style of camping off the power grid is a 2KW Honda quiet type Generator. We can stay out off the power grid probably up to two weeks of daily cycles of 50% to 90% charge state of the batteries. After that we really need to get the battery bank up to 100% charge state before doing damage to the batteries. If I could re-charge during the daytime using solar panels I could even cut back big on using the generator at all (Next upgarde for me).

Our style of camping only requires enough generator power to run our on-board converter/charger unit which was the big decision on which generator to get. My generator is small enough to sit in the tail gate corner of my truck bed and is secured from thief and is normally out-of-sight using my lockable hard plastic folding bed cover until we pull it out on the tail gate to re-charge the batteries usually twice a day depending on where we are located.

I know I could have gotten a larger generator to use with the trailer to run everything but that would not work very well for us if most of the places we go to doesn't allow us the run the generator anytime we wanted to.

About the only thing that suffers in our generator setup decision process is the use of the air conditioner.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #6

WOW, Roy after reading your post, I never realized all of the restrictions there are to using a generator!

Plus it sounds like a lot of work, not to mention expense, to do.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

glsimms - Well it could just be where I go. I do see alot of interest in getting the bigger generators to run the whole trailers. Everyone is talking about having one to run their air conditioners... My brother-in-law from Illinois had two Honda 2KW generators in the back of his truck when he first got his big Montana 5th wheel. The past few times we have got together in TN I have only noticed him carrying just one generator.

Don't judge by what I went thru as I really just wanted to do most of my camping off the power grid in the first place. I use my generator everyday when camping off the power grid but it is just to re-charge the battery banks not run the air conditioner which it wont do anyway.

Seems like most of the west Coast guys all have generators to run their trailer air conditioners but I think it is a different camping experiences out that way due to the wide open places as compared to the congested areas we all have here on the East side.

Even here on the east side the big motorhomes come into the camp sites and they seem to run their generators anytime they want to. I guess one cant tell if it is the generator or the motor running. Double standard thing maybe haha... Ever time I would do it I usually get a knock on the trailer door reminding me I cant do that and i was sitting next door to a motorhome with his running when they guy knocked on my door hehe....

Just check first where you are heading too I guess. Most of the forest services areas now on the East side of the US are doing the 8AM to 8PM generator schedule now. Of course at the private sites and the NASCAR places you get to run them anytime you want to... No one sleeps at the NASCAR places party time 24/7 they tell me...

Might just be me always being at the wrong places ???

The main point on beefing up the battery system is that I found out real quick you cant just do one thing to be successful about running off the batteries. Got to look at it from a system wide prospective or it will get dark on you around 10PM everynight.

All works great for us now - watch full screen HDTV every night off the OTA crank-up BATWING antenna.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

LouRobin,

I think you will find that Honda, Yamaha, and Champion generators are very popular. The Honda and Yamaha brands will show up often in discussions for being reliable/quiet/pricey...., where the Champion genny's are less expensive, a little noisy, but get the job done.

Another thing to watch for is "weight", as the wattage output increases so does the generator weight, keep this in mind if you plan to be moving it around often by yourself.

Just type "generator" in the search window above and you will find numerous threads on generators.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

I think the Champions I've seen are a little more than noisy, but I have to admit to not having heard their inverter models. Oddly, the bigger the Honda it seems the quieter they get.

My folks bought a Yipor inverter. Not a Honda, but not bad.

I'm just glad I got a GREAT deal on a 2k Honda. I thought running the AC was critical. On my old camper the honda would run run it. Only time it ever did was testing and first trip to a hot place. It won't run my Starcrafts AC - but I generally just don't care.

When i camp - even in hot places - I am outdoors during the day. For me I can see occasional use cases for the AC so if a great deal like the $500 I paid for my Honda came along I might buy it a companion. That said, didn't want/need it over my 5 years of mostly boondock RV camping...

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #10

This should work nicely!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caterpillar_power_generator_1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	5744
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
This should work nicely!

Attachment 5744
That definitely needs more cowbell.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
This should work nicely!

Attachment 5744
That's one of those new diesel inverters, I heard they are quieter than Hondas and Yamahas
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #13

Honda EU3000is x2, thought the CAT one would look nice in the back of my tow vehicle it may put me just a tad over my weight limit!
Turn2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #14

My favorite day of the month at work is backup generator test day. Ours is just a small 50kw unit with a Komatsu 6 cylinder turbo diesel. It's always fun to watch the smoke screen when it first starts up. At the main complex they have a CAT 16 cylinder one mounted in a semi trailer...so awesome!!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #15

Heck ya, I'll take 2 of em mcfarmall!

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #16

I picked up a Honda EU3000i- Handi. It will run my 13,500 Btu Ac and other items. Although 200 watts less than the EU3000is, what it does do is it is only slightly louder but is half the weight at 70 lbs vs 135 and has built in wheel kit. No electric start. I also had a transfer switch put in at the house and it is set up to run a half a dozen critical circuits if the power goes out. These Honda inverter series produce very clean(electrical noise) power which is perfect for computers and flat screen tvs. Last summer power was out at the house, fridge was on, tv was on and lights were on, it used 1 1/2 gal of gas in 10 hours You couldn't hear it running.
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote