Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

How does my weight hitch setup look?

I installed my hitch today and after a few tweaks I think I got it.

This is a Pro Series 10k/750 hitch. Before setup my front wheels were 33.5" from ground to center wheel well and backs were roughly 34.3125.

After the hitch install my rear dropped about an inch while the fronts stayed the same at 33.5".

The bars seem to be parallel to the frame and the vehicle doesn't seem to be sagging.

Anything look odd that you pros can see?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150616_22217.jpg   IMG_20150616_54963.jpg   IMG_20150616_12874.jpg  
Ryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Just looking at your tire clearance and angle between the hitch and A frame it looks perfect. What I don't see is sway control. A far off shot would help make a better determination including the trailer and TV.

Is it loaded? Once loaded you will need to take another look as your tongue weight will change as a result.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Just looking at your tire clearance and angle between the hitch and A frame it looks perfect. What I don't see is sway control. A far off shot would help make a better determination including the trailer and TV.

Is it loaded? Once loaded you will need to take another look as your tongue weight will change as a result.
Sway hitch is on opposite side. No it was unloaded, but even when loaded we don't have much cargo, we do mostly weekend trips so very limited cargo is with us. The heaviest thing I bring is beer
Old 06-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Based on the information provided, it looks pretty good from my vantage point.

I assume that you simulated a "loaded" TV/TT condition as best one could, and that the trailer tows level, or slightly nose down.

If you get an opportunity, take your loaded TV/TT to a CAT scale for a weigh-in...., this will confirm that all your loaded weights are within their respective limits, and you will be able to confirm that your tongue weight is within 10% to 15% of the trailer's gross scaled weight.

CAT Scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

ps: I've never claimed to be a pro at this hitching stuff, because there is always something new to learn

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

It may be the camera angle but in the last pic the TT looks slightly nose up. A load (beer) might level it out.
Rustic has good advice, visit the scales.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

After reading this I want to check mine, but I have a question.

I see you measured from the center of the wheel to the ground. I though I would measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Doesn't measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel only measure how much the tires moved instead of the frame pushing down on or pulling up on the suspension?

One other question. If I do have some sag in the back or lift in the front, should I take up one more link in the chain on my bars to correct for that?

Thanks

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

Nice thing about the chain system, you can increase or decrease the bar tension be using a different link.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
After reading this I want to check mine, but I have a question.

I see you measured from the center of the wheel to the ground. I though I would measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Doesn't measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel only measure how much the tires moved instead of the frame pushing down on or pulling up on the suspension?

One other question. If I do have some sag in the back or lift in the front, should I take up one more link in the chain on my bars to correct for that?

Thanks
I meant to say ground to center of wheel well, I was typing too fast with my trigger finger. Yes, that's my understanding, you can always go up another link, but I believe there is a cut off, on mine it has to be a minimum of 5 links. I'm at 6 currently.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan79 View Post
Yes, that's my understanding, you can always go up another link, but I believe there is a cut off, on mine it has to be a minimum of 5 links. I'm at 6 currently.
I have what may be deemed a dumb question, but when you talk about min number of links do you mean the ones under pressure or the ones that are loose after the hook?

I think you mean the ones under pressure.

Thanks

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
I have what may be deemed a dumb question, but when you talk about min number of links do you mean the ones under pressure or the ones that are loose after the hook?

I think you mean the ones under pressure.

Thanks

Yes, minimum of 5 under pressure.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #11

Reporting back from my weekend haul with the weight distribution hitch. Much, much better and safer ride than without it. 60-65mph felt great most of the way and with the sway bar barely could feel any movement.

This afternoon I was messing around and adjusting the hitch a little more and raised the vehicle up more and instead of 6 links under pressure I moved down to 5 under pressure and my rear vehicle squat only went down a .5" inch from stock height. Do the tension bars look to much shifting upwards?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150622_0769.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Looks fine to me!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Looks good to me.

On mine I had 6 chains under pressure, I went to five. The bars are under more pressure, but the back of the truck is more level, and the trailer and truck seem to ride more like one vehicle. It will stay this way going forward. Thanks for answering my questions.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan79 View Post
snip..... This afternoon I was messing around and adjusting the hitch a little more and raised the vehicle up more and instead of 6 links under pressure I moved down to 5 under pressure and my rear vehicle squat only went down a .5" inch from stock height.....snip
You mention the rear of the TV, what about the front suspension? If 5-links under tension dropped the front below your original 33.5" height you may experience a rough TV ride due to a compressed front suspension.

Drive the TV/TT around the block with the 5-link setting (loaded), then check the front suspension measurement.

Keep in mind the front suspension is what the WDH is adjusted for, the rear suspension height is a by-product of the front adjustment.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

Be careful overtightening the links. At 5 links, your bars don't look level to the frame and have a lot of tension in them.

1. too few links and you can't turn corners well without binding, therefore don't go below mfg min number.

2. that much tension is the bars can bend the snap up bracket. From experience, I attempted to put more tension on the bars to get that last 1/2 in of TV ride height back. What it got me was a rough ride, destroyed snap up bracket, and bent strait-line cam.

Try re-adjusting your hitch head angle if you want that much tension, while keeping 6 links.

One note in my (REESE) set up guide. Once the hitch head height and hitch head angle are set, lower the trailer onto the truck and lock the ball. Then use the trailer jack to truck and trailer ‘till the trailer is back level and none of the trailer weight is on the truck.

Lower snap up bracket yoke 90deg. Pull the WD bar chain by hand and hook closest link. Then snap up the bracket with the cheater bar. Repeat for the other side. Lower the tongue jack. Now you have just transferred all of the tongue weight and only the tongue weight to the WD bars.

The REESE instruction only talk about returning the front wheel well height to pre-load conditions, nothing about returning rear wheel well height.

On my hitch, a hitch head angle adjustment of one “saw-tooth” adjustment is equal to a half of a chain link adjustment. WDH set up is very iterative.

Tim Polsin
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 CCLB
2007 Jayco 26BHS
Reese strait-line hitch w/1000# bars.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote