Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

how much do you load in your X17Z?

i have a 2015 x17z and from the dealer it was 3021lbs giving me around 479lbs cargo. how much do you put in your trailer, how do you transport your other camping gear? i have my wife, daughter and baby boy on the way so my 4runner doesnt give me too much room for cargo. right not i put a bathroom medicine cabinet, add a small 19 inch tv, put all my pots and pans in the cabinets, small folding table, and bedding. i guess i can weight all that stuff to see where im at in cargo weight, but i guess my question for you experienced trailer campers is should i bite the bullet and trade in for the x18d with dual axel 1190lbs capacity? my 4runner has a max tow of 5000lbs so id still be under the max with a loaded trailer. im thinking of the future with the kids wanting to bring bikes and other equipment for outdoor activies
Leedawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

400lbs is a whole lot of cargo.

I've got just over 150 in my 19RD. And that includes too much food, pots, pans, paper goods drinking water, clothes, outdoor chairs and table, tire change jack and tools....

Put all of your "camping gear" in 1 pile and consider it's total weight. Also consider how much of it is necessary since you have gone over to a hybrid.

Will you be boondocking or staying at campgrounds? That'll change the mix of things you'll be carrying.

It is more than likely that your camping rig will grow with your family. Pulling the 17 with the 4Runner seems like a decent match. Move up to the 18 and you'll be wanting to move up to the Highlander. We tow with a Tacoma and the 19RD is just a bit much.

Or you could live with the x17z for 25 years like the family that was the first owner my old trailer.
Happy camping!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
400lbs is a whole lot of cargo.

I've got just over 150 in my 19RD. And that includes too much food, pots, pans, paper goods drinking water, clothes, outdoor chairs and table, tire change jack and tools....

Put all of your "camping gear" in 1 pile and consider it's total weight. Also consider how much of it is necessary since you have gone over to a hybrid.

Will you be boondocking or staying at campgrounds? That'll change the mix of things you'll be carrying.

It is more than likely that your camping rig will grow with your family. Pulling the 17 with the 4Runner seems like a decent match. Move up to the 18 and you'll be wanting to move up to the Highlander. We tow with a Tacoma and the 19RD is just a bit much.

Or you could live with the x17z for 25 years like the family that was the first owner my old trailer.
Happy camping!
Thanks
Old 06-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #4

I suggest you hit the scales and see what your weights are. Fill the gas tank and load up your gear. Look over your gear to see what you could leave behind if you need to lighten. Also consider how far and over what terrain you will travel. If you are a little heavy but travel on the flats, you might be ok. Before upgrading to a bigger TT make sure you have the TV to pull it.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

A 19 inch flat panel weighs 5 pounds; probably about the same for a medicine cabinet. As long as your not carrying a lot of heavy items like a generator, firewood, or a 100lb toolbox, I don't see the reason to trade it in. Carrying a limited amount in the fresh water tank can also help.
You asked for actual experience...As a 17Z owner for 5 seasons, I can say that we (family of 4) really just load it and go. It's mainly clothes, food, some fishing gear, basic camping supplies, couple of bikes, and a cooler. Never had a problem and got 5 years with the original tires before swapping them out.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:15 AM   #6

Getting the gear to the camp site is the problem at hand it appears. Once there, I see people setting up a small tent to store the "stuff" they don't want cluttering up the camper during their stay. Short of buying a larger TV, I don't see an easy solution, other then eliminating some "stuff" that you bring with you. The wife and I will visually "tag" items we bring along on any trip; if it sat in a suitcase and never came out during the trip, it never made it on the next trip. We cruise a lot, and we are down to one large suitcase and a carry on; used to be two suitcases with the carry on. You'd be suprised in how much you think you need, but never use.

As George Carlin stated, "we go bigger to store our stuff".

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

So I weighed every thing that I bring in the trailer and I'm around 140 lbs lol I guess things just look and feel heavier than they actually are. That was tv, medicine cabinet, small tool box, pots and pans, 3 chairs, pop up tent, outside rug, and bedding. I guess I really don't need to upgrad still got plenty of spare cargo weight lol. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Did the dealer weigh it for you, at 3,021#? Or did they simply read a sticker? I'd also recommend hitting up a CAT scale. (I need to weigh mine someday too!)

Don't forget about WATER weight too. If you travel with full water tanks, that'll be an add'l ~230# on top of the 3,021#. I've learned to do everything possible to NOT travel with full tanks anymore.
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Going off the sticker is 3021 with full propane tanks. I travel empty as far as water goes and fill up at campsite id love to get to a cat scale but the closes would be an hour away. But if ever camp in that direction in going to try and stop at it.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Our '14 17z had a sticker of 3046 lbs from the factory with full propane tanks. I then removed the dinette table, manual Jack, and bathroom fan and weighed them. I then weighed and added a new bathroom fan, power Jack, battery, aluminum chairs, folding table to replace dinette table, and various other items I weighed on a bathroom scale while holding them. I ball-parked what we put in the fridge, and other small items (accounted for on the high side) also accounted for a few gallons of water stored here and there in the water heater, black tank, etc. The bottom line came to 3350 lbs, give or take, but I'd say less since I went on the high side on some things. Other things like clothes, toiletries, books, iPads, tools, etc. travel in the SUV.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #11

I've got the 17Z as well as you, and after adding all my camping gear, i'm only at around 200 lbs of gear. I've got a Honda Pilot with 5k towing capacity, same as your 4 runner it sounds like. No problems towing the 17Z with my vehicle over the last 6 months and 6 camping trips. Have fun!
norcalRVer is offline   Reply With Quote