Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #1

How much realistic towing difference between 17Z and 19H?

Hello,

Considering a 17Z or a 19 H hybrid. I understand the weights between the 2 but is there really any major differences in towability. With the 19H you have a tandem axle which tows /rides better than the single axle on the 17Z (IMHO). As well, I don't need all the cargo weight in the 19H but it willl provide options for the future. Might be changing tow TV in near future as well

Thoughts?

Jimbo

2011 Jayco TT 1007
2004 Xterra V6
jimbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo27 View Post
Hello,

Considering a 17Z or a 19 H hybrid. I understand the weights between the 2 but is there really any major differences in towability. With the 19H you have a tandem axle which tows /rides better than the single axle on the 17Z (IMHO). As well, I don't need all the cargo weight in the 19H but it willl provide options for the future. Might be changing tow TV in near future as well

Thoughts?
We have towed a 17Z and recently towed a new 19H (traded in the 17Z). We towed both with a Chevy Silverado V8 double cab. We towed the 17Z without sway bars originally for a year and later added bars and weight distribution hitch. My husband says he felt much more in control with bars. He says he would never even tow a 17Z with a V6 small suv. When we got the 19H, he noticed that it was even better, did not notice the weight behind as much as the 17Z because of the tandem axle. We loved the 17Z but was not good loaded and towing, we had to think where to put things in TV or TT and we went over weight with a family of 4 and our stuff. The 19H is just load up, forget it, and go!

I know you didn't ask about interior differences, but we don't need to have suitcases lying around and in the way now. Closet is big enough for all of our clothes for a week, plus frig is bigger and you get a double the size freezer in the 19H, 4 drawers, no drawer space in 17Z. You gain 2 feet in length which adds a lot more than you think not to mention loading weight and drive. If it's just 2 of you with maybe 1 kid, the 17Z is passable in my opinion.

I wish I had done more research, when we originally wanted to buy a hybrid but the 17Z popped up on craigslist and felt it was something we going to keep for a long time. Glad we kept with Jayco brand though. The 2010 17Z also kept an excellent resale value, only paid $4700 more for the 19H after trade. Also, at least right now, there are a lot more 17Z's for sale new and used as compared to 19H. Good luck and I'd be happy to answer any more questions, I feel like a hybrid queen shopper.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. As for pulling this trailer, the Jayco dealer assures me it is not a problem(?). Our weight limit is 5000 lbs with the SUV. Certainly from what I have read here in the forum, it may be not enough horsepower(Ontario can be very hilly especially up north where we usually go). You have confirmed my other suspicions about the 17Z. It will be too small for us(usually 2 of us but have 2 more occasionally). I like the idea of the bigger fridge and storage space plus I think it comes with electric awning which is great for one person use.

Jimbo

2011 Jayco TT 1007
2004 Xterra V6
jimbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

We are new to RVing, too, and our TT is a JayFeather 19H hybrid. We absolutely love it!! Our TV is a 2013 Ford Explorer w/ a V-6, AWD and factory installed tow package. The rig is complete w/ a sway bar and WDH, and it tows with no problem at all. I was skeptical at first because of the weight and the hilly, rolling terrains I had envisioned camping in. We thought about TT's that were a little bigger (heavier) and a little smaller (lighter, but single axle) before we decided on our 19H, and my wife and I had differing opinions on what's important to us. For me, I was concerned about weight and safety, and she wanted a nice interior--well we both did!! What we got has everything we need and it tows easily and safely; the best of both worlds. Our TT is 3660 pounds dry, and with the battery, 2 full propanes, 2 kayaks, 4 bikes and a weeks worth of luggage for 4 people, we're still under the 5,000 pound capacity. I would feel confident telling you that a 19H is a better choice for a family of 4--JMHO. Happy camping and good luck.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

We have a 17Z and it works exceptionally well with to adults and two teenagers. Yes you need to plan a little and keep most of your clothing in the tow vehicle. We actually downsized from a Class A motorhome to the 17Z.

As for towing between the 17Z and 19H, your fuel mileage will be essentially the same. The weight difference would only impact mileage in stop and go situations. Once you get it rolling, the overall MPG will be about the same since drag becomes the main factor.

I might catch some flack for this but I tow without sway bars and don't feel I need them. Of course I am towing with a one ton van.

I forgot to add that the double axle on the 19H makes for easier backing in my opinion. The single axle of the 17Z is very sensitive to steering input while backing.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote