Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #21

I sadly weigh a little more; and, the roof supported my weight. I used a 2' square piece of plywood to help distribute the weight. When accessing the roof with an extension ladder, place a protective layer of towels where the ladder will rest against the edge of the roof. This will prevent the ladder from cutting into the roofing material.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:10 AM   #22

I'll be on the roof this weekend. I'm thinking about preventative maintenance. The Eternabond looked fine a couple weeks ago when I was sweeping the slides off but just may replace it...just because. Is there an easy way to get the old stuff to release? Also a question about Dicor. When and when not to use self-leveling? I imagine self-leveling spreads and flattens out more. Am I right?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I'll be on the roof this weekend. I'm thinking about preventative maintenance. The Eternabond looked fine a couple weeks ago when I was sweeping the slides off but just may replace it...just because. Is there an easy way to get the old stuff to release? Also a question about Dicor. When and when not to use self-leveling? I imagine self-leveling spreads and flattens out more. Am I right?
You have the Dicor info correct. I would not recommend trying to remove the Eternabond. It will likely do damage to the roof material that will result in a larger repair.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You have the Dicor info correct. I would not recommend trying to remove the Eternabond. It will likely do damage to the roof material that will result in a larger repair.
Oh really? Didn't know that. So, just put new over the old?
Old 06-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Oh really? Didn't know that. So, just put new over the old?
Why do you need new Eternabond? If it was improperly installed, it should be falling off and easy to remove. If it was properly installed, if should last longer than your roof...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Why do you need new Eternabond? If it was improperly installed, it should be falling off and easy to remove. If it was properly installed, if should last longer than your roof...
I guess I probably don't. Water leaks wig me out a little and I was just gonna do preventative maintenance. It looks ok and is bonding good. Maybe I should just move on to something else and leave it be.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Does Jayco use Eternabond at the factory?

I was thinking it was some other seam sealing tape.

The seam on the roof of my slide is looking a little lose in spots. Mainly over the screwheads. I was planning to pull it off and replace with Eternabond.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Does Jayco use Eternabond at the factory?

I was thinking it was some other seam sealing tape.

The seam on the roof of my slide is looking a little lose in spots. Mainly over the screwheads. I was planning to pull it off and replace with Eternabond.
First, I do not believe the factory is using Eternabond. It's a generic tape.

We had the same problem on our slide. The problem is the tape they are using is only 3"-4" wide. When you extend the slide out, the rubber wiper seal curls up and binds against the tape grabbing the edge of it on the way out. To solve it I put 6" wide Eternabond over the old stuff. Now when the slide is fully retracted, the edge of the tape is about 2" inside past the wiper seal. By the time the edge hits the seal, it's already rolled outward.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
So for those who bought their trailers new, how long was it before the original caulking/lap sealant needed attention?
Mine is almost 2 years old and I had a leak on the TV antenna this spring after uncovering it. Turned out to be a small crack in the caulk - Dicor fixed it right up...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
... I put 6" wide Eternabond over the old stuff. Now when the slide is fully retracted, the edge of the tape is about 2" inside past the wiper seal. By the time the edge hits the seal, it's already rolled outward.
And another thing that can help keep the seal from sticking to the edge of the Eternabond is to put a small, ramped bead of caulk along the edge of the Eternabond. This seals the edge of the Eternabond adhesive, and the ramp makes it easier for the seal to slip up on top of the Eternabond.

By the way, X2 on the idea of the OP leaving the original Eternabond as is, since it is in good condition. Removing Eternabond from EPDM is not impossible, but it is decidedly not an easy, fun job.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote