Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Hybrid Electrical Issues

So, we have a Jayco Hybrid camper that has been working fine with electrical up until last summer when we camped somewhere that had shore power. Since plugging in there, we haven't been able to do that anymore. AND, that is after having the converter replaced b/c that was assumed to be the issue.

When I plug into a 30 amp box that we have installed at the house, it does not charge/power anything. Well, the microwave light DOES come on when we open it, as well as the fan, but it is not working correctly by all means.

The battery will charge with a charger that we hook up, and things do work fine with that. However, the shore power does nothing really for it. We have checked all fuses and the breaker.

Like I said, it was taken in to a shop last summer and the guys just replaced the converter on warranty. Apparently this was done once before with the previous owner as well!

Any ideas? Thanks very much!
slindy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF.

I don't believe I can help in any way, but I do have 2 questions: The converter was replaced under Jayco's warranty and you are still have a problem? Can you go back to the dealer and have them troubleshoot and actually fix the problem?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #3

Can you be more specific as to "but it is not working correctly by all means"? If the Micro Wave works, what is it that does not work? Have you checked your 120Vac outlets to see what you have for voltage?
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

Similar thread a while ago.... After exhausting all avenues it turned out to be a bad shore cord plug.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Here is my thread on similar issue.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-32694.html
Sw7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Thanks all for the replies! We will look over more intensely the previous thread.

I will talk to the dealer who replaced the converter, but i'm a bit concerned as that is the second time since it was purchased in 2010 that it had to be replaced! Obviously there is a mix up between shore power to 12V power.

As far as the microwave, when just plugged into shore power the light comes on when we open the door, and the tray turns a little, but that is it. No power lights or anything.

Thank you!
slindy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

If you have a basic volt/ohm meter, start with a simple test to see if you have 110v on the input side, where the shore cable terminates on the converter.

Almost sounds like you have bad connection as previously suguested.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #8

This is neat 30A Trailer wiring configuration to get you orientated as to what controls what... Note everthing hinges around the 120VAC/12VDC Power Distribution panel...

120VAC controls some things and alot of things are controlled by the 12VDC either coming from the Converter/Charger or the Batteries when when 120VAC shore power is not present.. They actually feed the same 12VDC point on the 12VDC side of the distribution panel... It is designed this way so you can use the basics when camping off the power grid...

Kinda sounds like the 12VDC is missing from both the battery and converter/charger unit circuits.

One quick test for us is to remove shore power and my trailer ceiling lights should still work from the batteries. The y operate on 12VDC. This tells me the 12VDC side is getting 12VDC from the battery bank ok...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, electrical, hybrid, jayco