Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

If you have an X17z, what do you carry as cargo inside to stay within weight limit?

Since it has a limited cargo capacity, what do you carry as cargo in the trailer, and what in the TV to stay within cargo weight limit in your trailer?

The heaviest things I have inside would be my cookware (stainless steel) about 10 cans of canned goods, a half gallon of bourbon and a bottle of Baileys. The rest is bedding, towels, cooking utensils, and a few miscellaneous items which probably combined don't weigh 100 lbs. Food for the refrigerator, canned drinks, water etc, I carry in my TV. Dishes are all paper and plastic.

So, basically I am trying to guesstimate how much weight I have in the trailer as cargo. Does it sound like I am in weight range? 500 lbs is max for cargo in the trailer.
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

We have the X17Z, the heavest thing we keep in there is a large crockpots and a few (3) pots. Before we loaded it for the first time I threw everything in a box and put it on the bathroom scale. All bedding, typical clothing, kitchen items, etc all came in at under 150 lbs. Other than those items, I'd say our heavest item is the case of Yuengling in the fridge.

Have you thought about taking the stuff out and weighing it on the bathroom scale?
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #3

Don't forget the modifications as they are usually not weight-free.

I have as many cans as I might need and the cupboard over the sofa is usually chock full with cans, bread, jam, peanut butter etc. It is our pantry. I also carry all my crockery (plastic and steel), cutlery, rv chemicals, broom vacuum cleaner, big zapper, Surge Guard, sewer gear, fresh water gear, and on and on. Fridge is usually full too as we eat no differently when camping as when we are at home. We even sometimes bring leftovers to clear off while camping. You get the picture. Oh and I have many mods done to the RV, including 19 inch flat screen tv, DirecTV box, DVD player, wire shelves, full length mirror, etc.

My trailer is about 300# overweight. However the axle is at 3200# weighed and the tongue is about 600#. I go all over the place like that including a road trip to Canada in July (400 miles round trip).

My recommendation would be to get tires that can take the full axle load and then some, and stay within that limit - under if you can to account for imbalance side to side, bias the loading towards the tongue so that you get min.12% for sway and get the RV weighed. Then load it exactly the same way until you get rid of it.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

Very informative Wayne, and most helpful! I suspect we will probably weigh in somewhere between yours and mtn-bikers. I did find a weigh station fairly close to home, so we will hook it up next week and take it over there for a weigh in. If I have to I can carry the canned goods, heavier cookware and booze in the van.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

We carry clothing, drinks, camp chairs, the Dutch Oven and related supplies, grill, tools, lynx levels, patio rug in the tow vehicle. If it is a week long trip, such as going to the beach, we buy the majority of our groceries at the destination. While we have never actually weighed stuff, we are dillegient in minimizing weight in the trailer.

We travel with a little water as most of our camping to date has had at least water and electric hookups.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylec View Post
Very informative Wayne, and most helpful! I suspect we will probably weigh in somewhere between yours and mtn-bikers. I did find a weigh station fairly close to home, so we will hook it up next week and take it over there for a weigh in. If I have to I can carry the canned goods, heavier cookware and booze in the van.
Good plan. We carry our clothes, the garden hose, barbecue stuff, outdoor rug, kayak, portable tank (of camping without sewer hookup), etc in the truck.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Another question, the Jayco site lists cargo capacity at 500 lbs, however, on the yellow sticker on my unit is says to not carry more than 339 lbs in cargo. Why the discrepancy? Now I am really confused :0
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #8

The 500#is likely gross while the 339# is after dealer mods are installed. To me that is ridiculous.

Just get the trailer weighed and be done with it. The important thing is to not overload the axle or tires. The tongue weight should not overload the truck. You should weigh the trailer at least once anyway to get a weight baseline.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #9

Thanks Wayne, I really appreciate your input!

It seemed really ridiculous to me too, and very confusing. I suspect I actually only have a 300 lb allowance. In which case I am probably REAL close to limit. Going for a weigh in next week for sure, as trying to figure this out, and stay safe is beginning to make me bonkers.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #10

I store the bedding, towels, 2 pots and 2 frying pans, paper and plastic tableware, sewer hose, freshwater hose, my copper pipe and old garden hose, a bag of clothes and food. Not much in the can good department. Outside stuff is stored in the TV.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #11

Hmm, let me rundown.

I have a black landscape hose tied to the bumper for the stinky slinky.

Back cabinet is some lights for awning and maybe a paper towel roll. Kitchen cabinets are utensils, cookware, cookie sheet, plates, bowls, mugs, coffee pot.

Over the sofa are some groceries like peanut butter, canned soups, cereal, snacks.

Over table is clothing.

Under benches are a case of water in one, games and fan in the other. Also a 19" TV on the benches complete with the bedding and pillows.

Over bunk ends are some extra paper products and perhaps a game or two.

Bathroom has a shoe rack organizer over the door fully stocked with toiletries.

Outside storage has two tool boxes with basic tools and adapters, awning/jack tools, water hoses, collapsable cans, bungee cords, first aid, and maybe a few stragglers.

We bungee a green mat on top of spare tire.

Poopie trailer goes in the TT if needed along with one of those handy beach carts if camping at the beach.

Sometimes the fridge gets stocked.

I really have no idea what it weighs but we may be upgrading next spring anyway.

The only time we travel with water is when leaving the park and hitting the dump station. So we are never going more then 10 MPH for for then a few hundred feet.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #12

One of the first things we did was remove the table that came with the trailer and replace it with 2 small tray tables for eating inside. However, note, it will almost always be just me and the hubby and a couple of dogs using it. So with the 2 beds on the ends we don't need the table bed. That table is pretty hefty and I figured we halved the weight at the very least with the 2 tray tables. Plus, the tray tables can be easily moved, used outside, etc. Downside, you lose a bed if you need it.
TributeSalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #13

Thinking about purchasing this trailer. Is it me, but 350-500 lbs is more than enough to store in the trailer? Clothes, towels, bedding, goods in pantry and fridge is less than 350-500 lbs, right?
Im so confused!!

Great Site, BTW!!
clossan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clossan1 View Post
Thinking about purchasing this trailer. Is it me, but 350-500 lbs is more than enough to store in the trailer? Clothes, towels, bedding, goods in pantry and fridge is less than 350-500 lbs, right?
Im so confused!!

Great Site, BTW!!
It's tough.

Your best bet is to weigh all of the items you plan to put in the trailer and then add it up. It will give you a good idea as to how much weight you are putting inside.

The limited cargo weight is part of the reason we are looking to upgrade.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #15

My wife and I agree that the 17Z is perfect for the two of us. While it is limited to 350 pounds in the trailer, it was perfect for the two of us to go from New Jersey to Colorado & Utah this summer with a fully stocked fridge, our clothing, pots, pans, chairs, etc in the trailer. Also, we had the addition of 4 mountain bikes & our mountain biking gear on & in our Honda Pilot.
In my opinion, one of the plus features of this light weight trailer is that fact that we can pull this with a realtively fuel efficient vehicle (22mpg while not towing, 10-12 while towing). The Pilot, which has a tow rating of 4500 pounds, pulled the trailer very well over all the high mountain passes we encountered in Colorado.

The 17Z is very comfortable for sleeping and those occasional rainy days, but too comfortable so that we want to spend all our time inside the trailer during our camping trips. While we were cognizant of the weight of certain items, everything we needed for our cross country trip was easily packed and carried by our 17Z. In fact, if we didn't have our 4 mountain bikes & mountain biking gear, we could have fit everything in the trailer without issue.

Now, if we needed to carry more items or people and our TV had more tow capacity, we probably would have opted for the 19 just to have the extra weight & size margin.
Allamuchy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for your response!!
clossan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylec View Post
Another question, the Jayco site lists cargo capacity at 500 lbs, however, on the yellow sticker on my unit is says to not carry more than 339 lbs in cargo. Why the discrepancy? Now I am really confused :0
The weights on the yellow sticker (new RV industry regulation effective 2008) represents the actual "ship weights" from the manufacture, which also takes into consideration (included) the weight of the "full" LP bottle(s). The published 500lb CCC is prior to the actual "ship weight" calculation because in many cases a given model can be configured differently prior to shipment from the manufacture.

If the RV Dealership adds items to the PUP/TT/HTT/FW that the sum total exceeds 100lbs, they have to apply a "revised sticker" reflecting the "decreased" CCC weight limit. Keep in mind that the RV Dealership adds the battery that in many cases is under 100lbs, so subtract the battery weight from the yellow sticker specified CCC if this is the only item added by the RV Dealership.

The weight of fluids in the tanks (fresh/grey/black) is considered cargo, so it must be subtracted from the yellow sticker CCC weight limit if one tows with these tanks filled.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TributeSalukis View Post
One of the first things we did was remove the table that came with the trailer and replace it with 2 small tray tables for eating inside. However, note, it will almost always be just me and the hubby and a couple of dogs using it. So with the 2 beds on the ends we don't need the table bed. That table is pretty hefty and I figured we halved the weight at the very least with the 2 tray tables. Plus, the tray tables can be easily moved, used outside, etc. Downside, you lose a bed if you need it.
I noticed in your sig that you use the name TributeSalukis. do you perhaps show dogs? We show Golden Retrievers, which was one of the main reasons we bought the trailer, so that we could camp near shows when we are showing our dogs!