Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Input from 23B owners needed

We’re considering a 2013 Jayco 23B and I have a few questions/concerns that I hope some current owners can provide some insight.

The A/C is not ducted - Does it keep the back bunk cool and how loud is the unit?

The shower/sink placement – We’ve seen a few units where the top of the sink was damaged or there were mods added. Is it because the water gets between the shower curtain and the wall or is there another problem?

Flat Roof/leaks around AC – Is the issue of leaks from water accumulating around the a/c unit corrected in the 2013 model? From the rear it looks like there is a slight crown in the roof, but it looks flat from the front.

Other than the typical hybrid concerns, is there anything else I should pay attention to?
CampinDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

We owned a '12 23b for about 2 years and loved it.
Yes, the A/C is noisy but we found it kept the TT pretty cool. If it's hot and sunny don't turn it down if you leave for a couple of hours. We preferred the back bunk and were comfortable at night (quieter). During the day keep the privacy curtains pulled to reduce the volume being cooled.
We had no problems with the bathroom tho it is smallish. I think starting with the '13 model the shower pan was changed to a shallower model. We put clips on the walls to keep the curtain in place and that helped with the water getting past it.
We had no issues with leaks but we only owned it 2-ish years. No A/C leaks but chech the 4 hold-down bolts annually. Sold it when the 2-foot-itis became unbearable.
We pulled with an '03 Expedition which did an ok job tho we were close on the rear axle weight.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinDan View Post
snip...... Other than the typical hybrid concerns, is there anything else I should pay attention to?
Welcome to JOF

There's an active JOF thread (link below) in respect to sizing a WDH for a 23B..., thread references a 2004 model 23B, but the thought process and weight considerations are fairly consistent with 23B's over the years.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...rol-33163.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
We’re considering a 2013 Jayco 23B and I have a few questions/concerns that I hope some current owners can provide some insight.

The A/C is not ducted - Does it keep the back bunk cool and how loud is the unit?

The shower/sink placement – We’ve seen a few units where the top of the sink was damaged or there were mods added. Is it because the water gets between the shower curtain and the wall or is there another problem?

Flat Roof/leaks around AC – Is the issue of leaks from water accumulating around the a/c unit corrected in the 2013 model? From the rear it looks like there is a slight crown in the roof, but it looks flat from the front.

Other than the typical hybrid concerns, is there anything else I should pay attention to?
Welcome!

We have an X20E, the baby brother to the 23B. The AC is noisy, Where we live we don't get too many really hot nights where we have to use it, but even when we do it's not a real big deal for us.

I'm not clear what issue there is with leaks around the AC? One known issue, not specific to the 23B or any hybrid, is that the bolts can loosen and the seal can break allowing water in. It's recommended for any trailer to check those bolts at least annually. I have always covered the AC (had a previous Jayco hybrid for 10 years) and have never had leaks around the AC.

Yes, the roof is crowned slightly and flat across the front. My last hybrid had a flat roof and water could pool on it. I used to park it with the front slightly down.

Just curious, what other "hybrid concerns" are you referring to? Having owned 2 hybrids over 13 seasons I might be able to help address those concerns.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

We've had our 23B since October 2014. It's our first camper...

Quote:

It's loud. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, given the noise in some campgrounds. Think we turned it down to low during the night. We didn't have any complaints. However, we also have reflective survival blankets we throw over the ends. I highly recommend doing that or going all out and getting a set of "pop-up gizmo's" PopupGizmos

Quote:
We've never actually used the in-camper shower...too small for my tastes and so far every campground has had reasonably clean showers.

Quote:
We keep our trailer slightly nose up, when camping or storing it, so that water runs off the back. Just a tip I picked up on here.

Quote:
Carry a small step ladder you can use to open/close the ends to clean them and the slides off. This is what I have Cosco Steel Step Stool, 3 Step - Walmart.com it fits behind the sofa when not in use.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

We love our 23B!

The AC is a bit noisy, but not to bad. We often have it at night or on low. The bunk end a texting a bit warmer than the rest of the unit, but only enough during the bright day to notice it, but it's not uncomfortable. AC water leaks are rare, the roof is curved. Do check the 4 AC bolts, they are known to be loose on delivery. Just a bit more than fine tight is all you need.

We have never used the shower. I'm 6 foot plus, I could not image trying shower. Many people add velcro to the shower curtain and walls to keep the water in.

It's a great htt, I have no complaints.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

We have a 2013 X23B we bought new. On our first trip we rolled into Carlsbad Caverns and the truck dashboard thermometer read 102 degrees. I was certain that the AC would not be adequate. I was wrong. It did in fact work. We only had one bunk end open and did keep the privacy curtains closed during the day.

Our only complaint would be with the shower. As designed it is all but useless. Water goes everywhere. I have seen some mods that help. We have settled on using the campground showers when at a campground and we use the outdoor shower when boon-docking.

No leaks at all and we have pulled this thing from Maine to California and Louisiana to Alaska on some pretty rough roads. Aside from a couple of screws coming loose on the oven and stove it has all been good.

We pull with a 2011 Tundra with a 5.7 Liter engine. Power to spare. I would recommend one of the combination WDH and Sway control hitches. Without the WDH the tongue weight of the trailer puts a definite tilt to the truck. The WDH evens things out nicely. The sway control is a blessing when a semi barrels past on the interstate. Here is a link to the kind our dealer installed. Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Safe travels - - Ed Brodt
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

We have a 23B and absolutely love it. The A/C is loud, but that does drown out any noises coming through the vinyl from outside.

The A/C keeps us cool and the heat works the same - we have no issues what so ever keeping the temperature where we want it inside the trailer.

The shower is serviceable but we use the campground showers more than the trailer's because the trailer shower is small.
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #10

We have a 2016 23B. Our A/C is so loud we have trouble hearing the TV, or even basic conversation in the camper while sitting at the dinette.. I had it looked at last fall, but they said it was within specs.. Will see what it sounds like when we get it out of winter storage.
johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoax View Post
We have a 2016 23B. Our A/C is so loud we have trouble hearing the TV, or even basic conversation in the camper while sitting at the dinette.. I had it looked at last fall, but they said it was within specs.. Will see what it sounds like when we get it out of winter storage.
I have thought about adding some sound deadening pads to the sheet metal to see if it would quiet it down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote