Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Insulation / warmth for bed area

We will be going camping this weekend but now it's getting really cold at night. The heater in our J feather x17z does a decent job, but it feels like the bunk area is a still very cold. Is there something simple that can be purchased at a Home Depot, Walmart or whatever that one could put by the windows in the bed area that would help a little with keeping the cold out? Something that could be stuff in front of the window and then zip up the window area?
Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

I sleep on he outside and understand. Some people use Reflex bubble insulation and cut it to shape of the windows. When it is cold out we always have an electric site. So we have purchased a couple electric mattress pad heaters. They work great! If we do not have electric I like to place a thin fleece blanket on top of the mattress before making the bed, I find I stay much warmer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:03 AM   #3

On other threads in this site, I've read posts where folks buy thermal covers for the pop out sides for added insulation/warmth.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
On other threads in this site, I've read posts where folks buy thermal covers for the pop out sides for added insulation/warmth.
Blue tarp to make your own or buy ready made from Popup Gizmos. The reflectix would help as well.
We heated our X23B with a small electric space heater when it was cool outside and used the furnace as "backup".
We didn't put anything between us and the mattress and used a feather comforter with a light blanket over us and were comfortable down to the high 20's at night.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Blue tarp to make your own or buy ready made from Popup Gizmos. The reflectix would help as well.
We heated our X23B with a small electric space heater when it was cool outside and used the furnace as "backup".
We didn't put anything between us and the mattress and used a feather comforter with a light blanket over us and were comfortable down to the high 20's at night.
Quick question. When you use the blue tarps or even the thermal blankets do you cover the whole bunk end? Top and sides?
Kennedy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

I purchased some of the reflectix and it does make a small difference. it's still chilly in the camper but the reflectix definitely helps blocking the cold winds. Maybe next time i will just double up on the material...
Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Have you tried Pugs or making your own. Some have taken silvered tarps and placed them over the bunk ends. I have not used them, but many people on the forum swear by them.

As for wind I have never noticed wind to have much effect on the inside temperature.

If you are camping at an electric site, the electric mattress pads are wonderful. I also use a 1500 watt ceramic heater, instead of the furnace. The furnace does do a better job heating the HTT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

Pop Up Gizmos .com!! Their products are great. No issue with wind. Made to fit your unit. I've used them on a couple trailers to great effect.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

I have the super high wind Pugs and they seem to help. Remember, you can't have the RV zipped up tight with no air flow or you will have condensation issues. I bought a small ceramic heater at Walmart and that helped to keep warm air moving through the bunk ends. Flannel pjs, good sleeping bags, and a few extra blankets works too.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #10

I have this for heat and it's also my alarm system.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy64 View Post
Quick question. When you use the blue tarps or even the thermal blankets do you cover the whole bunk end? Top and sides?
We used the PUGS, never went the blue tarp route. I've seen pics of one of our posters who did and I recall he covered the sides as well as the top.
Several posts about electric space heaters, yes!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We used the PUGS, never went the blue tarp route. I've seen pics of one of our posters who did and I recall he covered the sides as well as the top.
Several posts about electric space heaters, yes!
I'm going to give the tarps a whirl in Oct and look into the pugs. I've got the space heaters after last Oct lol. Thanks for the info!
Kennedy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

I bought the Pop-Up Gizmos and made some window "fillers" out of 1/8" Corroplast and covered those with the refletix. All six tuck in nicely between the mattresses when we fold up the bunk ends. We used them last January in a campground with hook-ups and used the furnace and stayed really comfortable all night. Haven't tried boondocking in the cold yet, although on our trip to the Eastern Sierras in July it got down to about 40 degress one night (only used the pugs then).
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #14

Bunk End Insulation

We have a Jayco X23F and live here in Florida so we don't have the cold but do have HEAT! We just got back from 14 days in a State park at Long Key and before we went I went to Lowes and purchased 3/4" Styrofoam insulation with the silver on one side. I then cut them to fit the inside of the ends and side of the bunks. When we set up I slid them in with the silver side facing the outside of the trailer. I also install Gizmos when we set up and between the foam and the Gizmos we could not believe the difference in how much cooler the trailer was. PLUS the extra benefit of less light in the morning so we slept later! If you face the silver side to the inside of the trailer it could possibly reflect heat back into the trailer.