Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
I open/close the bunk ends myself all the time with no problems. If you think it's a concern I'd go to a Jayco dealer and try it out yourself to make sure.

Regarding the second question...No leaks anywhere in 4 years.

I agree with the other comments regarding the noise that infiltrates through the tent ends. Most of the time we run the A/C fan to drown out the noise. Another thing that bothers my wife is having the kids sleeping out on the bunkend during a storm. She's afraid a tree or limb is going to fall through. Probably for these two reasons, our next RV will be hard-sided.

2010 Jayco 17Z
2007 Jeep Commander Overland 4x4 HEMI
go wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Hi Sherry,

My wife and I have an X18D and the beds are no problem at all when it comes to weight or ease of use. Step stool is handy when your not on level ground. We pull ours with a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 version no towing package. Last summer we took a 10 day trip that took us from WI to PA to NY and back to WI. We encountered some really severe weather on the way to our site by Niagara Falls. Pouring rain so hard even the bravest (or crazy drivers) had to pull over for a while. We had no issues with water getting into the camper and while there were times I wished for a little more power, we had no towing issues. Your Tundra will do fine with these campers.

The layout of the 18 makes for very easy access to everything while it is closed up. And when the beds are open this small camper seem huge. The only thing that we really miss with the 18 is a little more counter space and a double sink.

My only other comment would be that the table on the X18D will be a smaller bed than in the 20. If your short no problem, but it's something to really consider if you plan to turtle in bear country.

Good Luck

Rick, Michele, Two Boys and a Puppy named Twister!
2004 Toyota 4Runner V6
2012 Jayco X18D

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010930.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	10641We love our 2011 x23j and feel lucky we found it. The layout works best for us. As for noise, I don't mind it much. Most of the time we were sited with hardsides so it wasn't an issue. I worry more that my wife likes to fall asleep with the tv on and turned to the bunk end. I wonder how much the sound travels out.
This is our first trailer, owned a popup for years, rented 30' motorhomes a few times so this "turtling" is new to me. Sounds........ interesting! Might try it out this winter..... out in the yard!!
marshvegasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Site Team
Originally Posted by mtwaggin View Post

1. How many out there are single hybrid owners and how big of a pain is it to get those bunk ends in and out by yourself? Any hints or tips?

2. Anyone had issues with the front bunk leaking if you've been driving to a location in strong winds/rain?

3. If you have a slide (and this may be a super silly question) does it have the option of manually opening and closing it?

Oh and great to read on here about the pop up gizmos - that was new to me and looks like a great option as well.

Sherry in MT
We have a hybrid (19h) and a 5 year old so when we finish backing in my wife heads to the park with our son and I set up by myself. It's quite simple. I've never had a leak. I don't have a slide so I can't help much there.

There's a new member forum where you should introduce yourself: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forumdisp...-Members-Forum

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Our 2013 X20E is our second hybrid. Our first was an '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a (the "ancestor" to the X17A & Z). We bought it new and traded it for the X20E after 10 years of nearly flawless usage. Never leaked save for a small one after roof seam that dried out after about the first 7 years. That's just normal for any trailer, and it was an easy fix with Eternabond tape. We towed the Kiwi in many storms, and camped on many wet weekends. We had a lot of rain this past summer with the X20E, including towing for 3 hours in pouring rain, and no leaks.

My wife does most of the inside stuff except for the TV, I do the outside setup. The beds are REALLY easy. Our old hybrid had support bars like popups used to have. And you had to snap the canvas down around the wall. A bit of a pain. The new hybrids you just drop the bed down, put in the shepherds pole and you are done. I will warn you that the X20E's rear bed is a bit hard only because there is not a lot of room to maneuver the mattress to get the shepherds pole in. Once you get a "system" though its not bad.

I'm an average height guy and I have always carried some sort of step stool. It comes in handy for more than just closing the beds. More important you will need one anyway with the X20E to be able to clean the top of the slide before closing it.

We have never felt the need to use the pop-up "gizmos". They seem like a hassle and I like things simple. We have camped in 100 degree heat in the desert, and mid 20s in Montana. Never felt too hot, never felt too cold. Yes, the A/C or heat will run more, but it all keeps up just fine.

I will also say this. Hybrid trailers are not everyone's cup of tea. If you have never had a pop-up or tent, you may not like hearing the neighbors or outside noises at night or any other time.

Your Tundra will have no trouble towing an X20E with everything you want to put in it.

Have fun!
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
You all rock! Thanks for the information and I am a step stool toting camper. Having the motorhome I have a tall step stool so I can snap on the outside window cover. I did tent camp back in the day but mostly out in the boonies so didn't have to worry much about noise, my consideration will be the noise MY dogs might make more than noise coming in! LOL

mtwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote