Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Jay Feather 7 Model 19XUD

Hello all! I'm VERY new to this, but I am leaning towards a Jay Feather 7 hybrid model 19XUD. I have a Toyota 4Runner with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. Wondering if anyone has this camper and what they think? Any insight/comments welcome!
Newbiewithoutaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 4Runner, towing capacity 5,000 lbs. We took a Jay Feather 165 Sport (16.5') to CA from Ohio. The 4Runner had plenty of power, but it was white knuckle all the way. Trucks would push me about 1 1/2 feet both ways when passing. Had to avoid winds best we could leaving at 6:00am and getting to where we were going by noon. Not a fun towing experience. We packed out at only 3,000 lbs on the TT.
Now have a 24RBS with Toyota Tundra V8, much more pleasant.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

I was looking at that exact same unit earlier this spring. I did not purchase that unit but here are the pros & cons:

JayFeather 7 is only 7' wide so it fits better alongside my house - pro
7' wide means that front and rear beds are shorter (problem for tall people) -con

Unit is also smaller (shorter and narrower) than other units so good to tow (less wind resistance and easier to see around with tow mirrors) - pro
Unit is smaller inside too - narrower and ceiling height could be a problem - con

Unit is low weight for the amenities making it easier to tow for SUV - pro

Jayco 2 year warranty - pro

I don't recall what the GVWR is on that unit, but the fact that it is the Jay 7 means it is lighter than the regular Jay, so it is easier for you to tow with 4runner. I liked the unit overall, but I ended up going with a 3 bunk hybrid with 8' width and 20' length. I have a full size truck so weight was not a big issue for me.
gdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #4

have same camper. bought in april. its been great. no issues other than some trim working its way loose inside and needing a nail or two. been out 11 nights, 93 and sunny, ac did great. spent two nights in may, 41 and rain, made a correct call to use the couch and dinette beds, keep the bunks in. heat would not have been an issue, but condensation for sure. i tow with a nissan frontier, 6200 lb tow capacity. trailer ways 3743 dry, max loaded is 4400 lbs. it doesnt work the truck at all on flats, western pa hills are no issue either. however, climbing the laurel ridge on extended steep grades, it gives my truck all it can handle, occasionaly dropping a gear and getting into the 4000 rpm range. however, towing the hills toward the allegeheny national forest last week, never went above 3000 during the 2.5 hour drive, which is what the truck runs typically unloaded. i run weight distro and sway bar, which would be a must. tounge weight isnt bad due to the dual axle. biggest issue would be your payload. im maxed witb family and dog, almost no gear. that would be what u want to check. i think.4 runner has plenty of power, it would be payload and tounge weight id be concerned about. any other questions about the unit id be glad to answer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
bprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

id also ad that the 7 ft would be critical. no way id tow a standard 8ft model. i have extended mirrors, and any wider i wouldnt see. i have no movement at all with trailers passing on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
bprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

Love our 19xud except for the condensation issue (working on that). Our 2009 Honda Pilot does a great job towing it except for in real windy conditions. The slideout is great. The bunks are on the short side though so best if you're under 6' tall.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #7

Hey Newbie, glad you signed up. The folks here are great and you'll get all kinds of experienced advice. I'm sure they've saved me from learning a lot of things the hard way. Go to the welcome matt and introduce yourself. Just so everyone will know, newbie is my Niece and is looking forward to lots of fun camping with friends, relatives and her beautiful dogs.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote