Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #1

Jayco Newbie-First RV!

Hello there. I just bought my family our first RV! We got a 2017 Jayco Jay Feather X19H! No more tent hunting/camping. We are very excited to get the family out and camping. I am a newbie to towing a trailer and owning an RV. Any advise you can give me would be a huge help! Lots to learn and I know nothing. Very overwhelming. We're going out on our first 2 day camp trip tomorrow to get use to the trailer before our big memorial day trip! Any advise would be great. Thanks all!

KG-Washington
--2017 Jay Feather X19H
2015 1500 Silverado (V6 4.3)
Kygreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #2

Congrats on the camper and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here. Just make sure you have what you need to hookup water, sewer and electric. Food, drinks and some chairs. A lot things you can pack but what all you'll want is up to you. And if you forget something it's not the end of the world. Most importantly have fun!
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

If you are at a campsite with full hookups DO NOT leave the black water tank open. It will allow the liquids to drain away with the solids staying in the tank eventually plugging the tank.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

Congrats. Always nice to make a list and follow it on setup and take down. Stabilizing jacks are just for stabilizing. Level out camper before setting down jacks. I found the Andersen leveling wedge shortens down on the time it takes to level side to side. Also take it easy when towing, its not a race and take the turns wider and slower than normal. Have fun.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

To add to what the previous poster said -- RV trailer tires are only rated to 65 mph. It will suck if you're on an interstate and big rigs are flying past you, and it will take longer to get where you're going, but it beats a blowout. For your first towing trip, I'd stay off the interstate if possible.

If you get confused about something at the campground, don't be afraid to ask your neighbor. The vast majority of campers are friendly folk who are willing to help.

Also -- take note of the nearest Walmart to your campground. Walmart is the best place to pick up that piece of RV gear that you forgot.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #6

Thank you guys! All great tips! I really appreciate it
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #7

Congratulations on the 19H and welcome to JOF. Lots of great information here.

You indicate that you have never towed. One of the most white knuckle experiences for a new TT owner is showing up at the first campground and realising that you need to back into your spot around a couple of trees. Better to have a bit of a feel for how the TT responds.

I would spend a bit of time this evening in a big empty parking lot backing up the camper. Set yourself a bit of a course with pylons or just the parking lines and try backing around a corner then into a specific spot. Don't forget to keep an eye on the front of your tow vehicle too. I haven't come close to damaging my trailer yet, but have a nasty tendency to just miss hitting my truck front fenders because I'm too busy looking behind me.

Nice unit btw; if you have any 19H specific questions, happy to help.

As a fellow Canadian I will let you in on a secret. RV parts and accessories are often double the price in Canada. I order all my goodies from Amazon.com, shipping to a US drop box. Then we plan a camping weekend in the Adirondacks and pick up our stuff. By the end of the weekend, you've been away long enough to have a decent exemption coming back across the border. Figure there must be similar mail drops in Bellingham and I'm sure that WA has some great camping opportunities. With winter coming to an end, I have 5 packages already waiting in Ogdensburg for our first May trip.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

Thanks. Yea backing is for sure the worst part so far. Nearly took out my gutter when I brought the thing home! Question. When I'm hooked up to electricity at a 30 amp camp ground should run the water heater on Electric and leave it on? Or do I just turn it on when I need hot water?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kygreen10 View Post
Thanks. Yea backing is for sure the worst part so far. Nearly took out my gutter when I brought the thing home! Question. When I'm hooked up to electricity at a 30 amp camp ground should run the water heater on Electric and leave it on? Or do I just turn it on when I need hot water?
If you're on propane, you might want to only run it when you need hot water, but on electric, you can turn it on once you get set up and then turn it off when you unplug and leave for home. Make sure there's water in the water heater before you turn it on, though! I usually hook up the campsite water and let it go for 15-20 minutes, until I know the water heater is filling to a reasonable level.