Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Just bought a 03 Kiwi 23B - question about bunk?

We just got the trailer and we've had TTs before but never a hybrid. We put the bunks out yesterday and I noticed how the canvas doesn't fit snug where the canvas meets the trailer frame in the corners of the bunks. I can see the outside from the tiny space. I'm afraid bugs will come in through these spaces. Im wondering if I put the bunks up correctly. I don't recall seeing this when we looked at the trailer before we purchased it. We snapped all the snaps the canvas looks like it's on correctly so is this just how hybrids are? If so, how do you make sure no bugs get in? The space is not big but definitely enough space where a bug could come through. Also, the canvas beds are hot during the day even with AC on high. The guy we bought the TT from made foam panels to stick in the holes where the bunks are when not being used. Once I put the foam panels in place the TT cooled down quickly. Any suggestions on what to put in those spaces so bugs won't come in?
bluebonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

This is one of the few flaws I've found on our hybrids. We had an '03 Kiwi 17a and it was a bit worse than our current X20E. And yes, we got little flying creatures in through there on more than one occasion. All you can really do is "tuck" it in with your hand. Some folks used to stick a piece of foam behind it at each corner.

It's better in our X20E, a little more "slack" to tuck in and we haven't had bugs get in at all.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

We have Popup Gizmos (PUGs) for our bunk ends to keep the ends and the cabin cooler.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

I'm going to buy some PUGS for the bunks. I'm very worried about insects such as roaches or wasp getting through the tiny openings where the canvas meets the trailer. Any suggestions on what to put in those corners so no insects will get in are appreciated. I'm starting to think maybe the hybrid TT was not a good option for us since I'm so scared of bugs crawling on me while I sleep. ��
bluebonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #5

Unless you buy a new one with completely sealed bunk ends.... you're just going to have to deal with the occasional bug. It's camping though..... part of it. Even if it were totally sealed they can still fly on in when you open the door. Maybe try adding some foam in the corners. In all the years of tent and pop up camping we've done I have never woke up to something crawing on me.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

I'm planning to use that little gap to fish a LAN cable from my WIFI extender in to the trailer where my Wireless Router will be setup.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote