Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Just picked up a new to us EX-PORT 17C

2009 model with a/c...no oven.

It appears to be in really good shape and look forward to many nights using it. We have been tent campers for many years and it was time to get something with a shower as most of our camping is dry camping.

We mainly plan to use it as a base camp for our gold prospecting but will also camp with the it in the spring and fall.

After towing it home with our 1999 Isuzu trooper I am a bit concerned that my truck just does not have enough left in her to do this a lot. It struggled on some hills but otherwise it handled well on the 4 mile trip home without a wdh which I will be getting soon.
GoldMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on the new trailer, Goldminer. Got any pics?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Welcome and congratulations on your 17C. It is a great camper in a small package. We love our 17Z.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Congratulations on the new camper.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

Congratulations on the X17C. My wife and I LOVE our X17Z. Just the right size for us and our mountain bikes.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #6

... just the right size for us as well. Although on longer stays we pitch a screen tent for extra room. We have the floor-less type that goes over a picnic table.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. As soon as I have a chance I will get some pictures up. Spent part of the day cleaning it up inside. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #8

Hello Again everyone.

Sorry it's taking this long to get pictures up of our camper. We actually had the chance to actually take it out. This is a shot on one of the claims we prospect. The ride down was 5 hours in torrential rains and winds that took out numerous trees in the area.

My TV is a 1999 Isuzu trooper that just had it's transmission rebuilt and it burns oil like no bodies business (when towing). It towed well and even with gusts of between 30 and 40 mph it did well. On the way down I burned a quart of oil in 210 miles and over a tank and half full of gas!!! (22.5 gallon tank)

On the way back the gas was just at a full tank (right around 8 to 10mpg) and I burned another quart and a half of oil.

The camper is wonderful, what a big step up from using a large tent. Cooking meals is a breeze. Sleeping with the heat on 3/4 because it went down into the 30s over the weekend kept us warm and cozy. Ate breakfast inside the camper since it was such a cold morning. Used to cook and eat cold food before...LOL

We just have to iron out a few things...1) Charging the battery 2) Getting water to and into the camper. 3) Find more time to gold mine!

For number 1, I will get a generator once I can afford it. Looking at pushing the Honda 2000si to it's limits for air (if it works at all) or a Yamaha 2400siHC....Not sure yet. For number 2. We have a place to get water now, so I will just probably get the 45 gallon thing that camping world sells and then add a cheaper water pump from Harbor freight to get it into the camper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0713 - Copy.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	7548
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0713.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Oh I forgot to mention, once we got to the claim, it was nothing put thick slippery mud. The camper and my truck were caked in it when we got there...When I got home I had to pressure wash everything down.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

I hope this additional info proves useful to someone in the future.

We decided to get a Yamaha 2400ISHC generator to charge the camper battery, run the microwave and perhaps run the A/C.

It works great for the microwave and charging, However it would not start up the 13.5k BTU A/C with everything turned off and temperatures in the upper 70s. Altitude around 400 feet above sea level. So I decided to install a hard start capacitor to the A/C. Took about 10 minutes to install and I am happy to report that the A/C runs great now even with temps above 85 to 90F and an altitude of around 1000 feet above sea level.

So far we have successfully run the fridge, lights, converter, microwave at the same time with it and it is very quite and only jumps a tad over idle even with the air on.

Have had numerous camping trips in the camper and so far we love it compared to tent camping. The microwave is wonderful for reheating and having a fridge with freezer is amazingly convenient!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #11

I enjoy your posts....keep them coming!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #12

I used to own a 17c. It was a good little camper, but we outgrew it. The only issue that I ever had with it was that the rear break lights weren't sealed well at all, so water could get inside the break light covers. Once during a severe thunderstorm, they filled up, and actually leaked into the camper through the holes for the wiring. Once I figured out what was wrong, I sealed the top/sides of the covers with a small bead of silicone (over where the cover meets the camper), and that stopped the issue. I figured that if I ever need to change the bulb, I could still peal off the silicone to remove the cover if needed, and reapply more when done.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #13

I see that also. I plan to put a bead of caulk there as well. I will be doing that as soon as the rain stops. LOL