Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Just returned from the maiden voyage in the 16XRB - furnace question

Hi All-
My trip was great! Spent 2 nights at the beach close to my house (5 miles or so). Everything went well, and I was
SO proud of myself when backing into my spot - I dunno, I just got it right, yay! (As my nephew would say, "Like a BOSS!".)
Set up and tear down was so much easier than the pop up.

Anyway...last night was foggy and gloomy at the camp and I thought I'd take the chill off the inside of the rig with the furnace after the evening campfire and heading to bed.

My experience with my POP UP is that the furnace is simply controlled by the thermostat and it would click on without me having to light anything separately (as I must do for the water heater, for example).

I thought my new Jayco was the same, and I seem to remember at the dealership it turned on just fine.
Am I missing something? A switch? Or are you going to suggest I look for a blown fuse?

I ask this because earlier this weekend I thought one of the overhead lights didn't work and then DUH! Found a wall switch, LOL! The light works fine.

What should I be doing to get my furnace on? It's an Atwood, by the way. And I was plugged into shore power and LP was on.

Thanks all!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

First congratulations on your maiden voyage. In regards to the furnace, most likely your thermostat is like mine. On the bottom (if I recall correctly) there is a small lever you have to flip to turn the furnace on. This lever is known to be very difficult to flip. Then set the temp to your desired level of comfort. When you are done flip the switch to off. Just note if the furnace has NEVER been run it may stink for about 30 minutes as it burns off the manufacturing oils.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
First congratulations on your maiden voyage. In regards to the furnace, most likely your thermostat is like mine. On the bottom (if I recall correctly) there is a small lever you have to flip to turn the furnace on. This lever is known to be very difficult to flip. Then set the temp to your desired level of comfort. When you are done flip the switch to off. Just note if the furnace has NEVER been run it may stink for about 30 minutes as it burns off the manufacturing oils.
And to continue with what ja has said... Make Sure you open windows, doors, etc. while using the furnace for the first time.

The wife and I were awaken to a blaring smoke alarm in the middle of the night! The dealer failed to mention this procedure to us and we had to learn the hard way.

BTW, our swith is on the top of the thermostat and is hard to push to the ON position.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
BTW, our swith is on the top of the thermostat and is hard to push to the ON position.....
X2...

Did you prime your gas system by lighting / running the stove a few minutes? If you've opened the system or your TT has been sitting awhile....it's best to do this before trying to light a hot water heater or furnace

If your SWIFT is similar to mine, take the (interior) front cover off the heater by turning the (2) tabs (top / bottom) 90 degrees....behind the front cover is RESET and or POWER switch......good luck!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

I've found if the camper is sitting a month ALL the gas appliances need a prime. I start w/ the stove; after that gets working I move onto the H/W heater. That usually takes awhile to kick over. Than its the furnace.

I guess the gas seeps out somewhere or otherwise evacuates the lines. Makes no sense otherwise. It'd be nice to be able to purge the lines of air somehow before sitting there w/ the H/W DSI switch for 5 minutes. Maybe I shouldn't shut off the main propane valve when its in the driveway, but I do.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

Our switch was so hard to slide I thought it was going to break. Dealer didn't warn about burning off the furnace, but learned about it on this forum. Even with the windows and door open it still set off the smoke alarm. Glad every thing went well and have fun camping.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Oh my gosh you all are amazing, thanks.

And, THANKS to this forum, I knew to prime the gas lines by lighting the stove, etc.
I also knew about opening up the window/vent for the new furnace smell to dissipate but thanks for that reminder
The fan/temp control IS on the bottom. There is a plastic tab-thingy on top and I was afraid I'd break it - so THAT must be the switch referred to by Jagiven. Which way does it flip? I tried moving it in a sideways motion (like the bottom tab) but it wouldn't budge. Does it flip toward me instead? It seemed like it was a molded part of the cover, so I will re-look at it.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

If your thermostat looks like the one in the picture below....the upper RH lever is the on/off control.

It will be marked for on/off (off is to the right if I remember correctly). It will feel like it's stuck / jammed when you try to move it to "on".....don't be gentle with it.

Good luck!

Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  9.3 KB
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #9

Three B - yep it looks like that one except it is brown in color. You're right it feels glued in place. I'll try again when I head over there to the storage yard.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #10

I actually had to shine my flashlight on that switch because I was sure it wouldn't move (and it does) So grateful to read about burning off the smoke before first use! Whew! This forum is great!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
I actually had to shine my flashlight on that switch because I was sure it wouldn't move (and it does) So grateful to read about burning off the smoke before first use! Whew! This forum is great!
While you're at it burn off the oven too !
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #12

I'd make the suggestion to get a cheaper digital thermostat. I got one from Home Depot and installed it -- it only took a few minutes. The thermostat also doubles as a thermometer inside the trailer.

Joe
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
I'd make the suggestion to get a cheaper digital thermostat. I got one from Home Depot and installed it -- it only took a few minutes. The thermostat also doubles as a thermometer inside the trailer.

Joe
Just wonderin'.... What did you go with?
Gerard
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #14

I believe it was the Honeywell Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat. It is simple and gets the job done.

Unfortunately, I cannot verfiy because I have a dang lot of ice/snow between my house and the trailer. Spring can't come fast enough for me!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #15

Of course I had to sleep in it tonight, even if it's just in the driveway. So glad I found this forum before picking up the trailer. It's gonna be a cool one. Decided to try the furnace. Jumped out of my skin when the smoke alarm went off. I better let it run in daylight hours for a bit tomorrow so the neighbors don't get mad. Time to work these things before I go to the cg.
Tokensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #16

Oh thanks for the reminder! I knew there something I had forgotten. We will be taking our first trip in two weeks to Big Sur River campground. Busy getting everything ready, but forgot about burning off the heater and oven!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokensmom View Post
Of course I had to sleep in it tonight, even if it's just in the driveway. So glad I found this forum before picking up the trailer. It's gonna be a cool one. Decided to try the furnace. Jumped out of my skin when the smoke alarm went off. I better let it run in daylight hours for a bit tomorrow so the neighbors don't get mad. Time to work these things before I go to the cg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Busy getting everything ready, but forgot about burning off the heater and oven!
Our smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night at the CG!!

Scary......
Gerard
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokensmom View Post
I ran mine in the driveway with all the windows, doors and vents open for about 45 minutes to burn it off. Worked like a charm and never set off a smoke alarm. Luckily it was really cold that day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I ran mine in the driveway with all the windows, doors and vents open for about 45 minutes to burn it off. Worked like a charm and never set off a smoke alarm. Luckily it was really cold that day.
Luckily I was able to run mine with it open this morning and no smoke detector going off. All is good now.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Our smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night at the CG!!

Scary......
So glad I'm not the only one!