Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #1

Kiwi versus Jay Feather

Hello everyone, I am looking at two units, a 2000 Kiwi 17 and a 2007Jay Feather 17 , from the photos (have not seen in person yet) they look very similay and have similar floor plans. The one difference could be in amenities, looks like Kiwi may be a little less frills.

Does anyone have historical knowledge of Jayco to tell me the big difference?
Is it simply older models against newer? Or more

Thanks!
DerryJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #2

So, I had the same question. Mine was referencing the 23b floor plan, but here is what I found. The Kiwi line was the original hybrid line, and it seems there was a lawsuit reference the name. Which led Jayco to change the name to Jay Feather, which is why the Jay feather's are newer, I think 2003 was the last year the Kiwi name was used. So they are basically the same, although the Jay Feather line does have different models, ie. LGT, EXP, Sport, Baja.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

My understanding is the same as Steveo32. The 23b floor plan hasn't changed significantly that I have noticed. I expect that applies to other models which were branded Kiwi.

My 2001 Kiwi 23b doesn't have a propane conventional oven. The microwave oven is mounted under the 3 burner range. That allowed a larger window to be over the sink/range counter. We like that it makes the cabin seem more open. We don't miss a conventional oven at all.

The newer 23b models (2004 on?) have a propane oven. The microwave oven was moved to above the range. That caused the window over the sink to be 1/2 the size of the Kiwi models.

The newer 23b models have an RV queen bed on both ends. Our Kiwi has a double on the back and queen on the front. Not a big deal for us, but might be for others.

Some research using older floor plan documents and sales literature should help to get you info on your models of interest.

Few travel trailers get used so much that they are worn out. In my opinion an older model can provide really good value. That is especially true for someone who is handy. One caution is to be very aware of any roof leaks and water damage. Any roof leaks eventually work their way down to the floor which can cause significant problems. I learned this fact the hard way.

Seeing that an older RV has many touch up roof patches isn't a bad thing. It shows that the owner maintained the roof system.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Good point for shoppers. Seeing signs of repairs is a good thing, not a negative.
I could mean the owner took care of it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #5

Thanks to all of you for your input, now I need to make some decisions. I do say the days when you and the family went for a relative short ride to the nearest RV dealer and picked one off the lot was much easier. Now with the web and the ability to see so m any used tailers just a biot further makes it a bit more nerve racking. Too many choices.

Take care!
DerryJay is offline   Reply With Quote