Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Last camping trip of the season didn't go quite as planned...

Sorry for the long-winded post...

I made reservations at one of KY's State Parks for this past weekend a while back. I've been there before, but it's been 15-20 years ago. I'd heard that they had made a lot of nice improvements over the years, so we decided to check it out.

We got there around 4:00, checked in, picked up our paperwork, and headed back to get set up. When we found our site, we got out to scope everything out and make a plan of attack. I looked everywhere, no electric or water to be found. I double checked our reservations and have the front office a call. The nice lady said she'd be right back to show me.

When she got there, she points to an electrical box an spigot 30' in front of our camper. When questioned about it, she said that I could just back into the area ("that's what everyone else does"), off of the blacktop into a mud pit. [emoji19]

I voiced my disappointment with this situation and she said she would look to see what else was available. [emoji15] OK, no problem. We settled on another spot and we headed for it. As I was backing in, already frustrated, I rubbed up against a tree with the front corner of the camper. Luckily, no damage other than a few rub marks. [emoji26] Now, I'm really frustrated. But I get settled in and start setting up. I'm almost ready to start folding down the bunks when the last shows up and informs me that she can't let us stay at this one, either. Seriously??? [emoji35]

That was the end of that. We decided to head on down the road. After a short discussion with the office, I did get a full refund.

By now, it's 6:30 or so. We headed a little further south on I-75 to Williamsburg at the Kentucky Splash Water Park. They've put in 17 or so full hook-up sites on the edge of their parking lot. Level, concrete patios, sewer, 20/30/50 amp electric, Wi-Fi, and cable TV for $35/night. 30 minutes to Cumberland Falls. I think we're going to try it again in the Summer and hit the water park, too. [emoji2]

Old 10-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #2

What a rough way to start but sounds like it ended well.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

We had our last trip this weekend at Harper's Ferry KOA. The site they put me in was incredibly tiny for a rig my size! Took me about a half hour @ 9:30 at night to get my trailer in. When all was said and done, the trailer sat evenly between the power posts. I had about 2 feet on each side between my post and the next door sites post. It was a pie-shaped site. Had plenty of room at the rear of the site but very close at the front of the site. Couldn't put my awning out all the way or it would've touched the neighboring sites trailer. Horrible! My opinion is, they need to sacrifice a couple sites to enlarge some very small so-called BIG RIG sites. About 10-12 sites had trees situated so you couldn't even open your awning at all!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

WE went to one place in VA (can't remember where it was now) and they had the ELECTRIC PEDESTAL for two trailer sites on same post... There was only one TV CABLE connection too... I had to dig around in the box to find an adapter.

To make it work one had to back in and the other trailer had pull in going foward and then you couldn't disconnect from the truck... The pedestals were in the front of the lot not the back... I was lucky to have 25-foot 30A RV extension cord with me...

When we left I took out my TV TEE connection and heard them hollar next to us "Hey our TV just went out" haha... They hollared the same thing when we arrived as I had to put out their cable to hookup my tee...

So there we was looking eye to eye at the next sites trailer's patio haha...

Glad they was friendly folks...

Thats a bit too personal for me...

One of the other reasons we like to camp off-road alot... Fish in the creek doesn't bother us too much...

Scratched that campground off our list...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

The websites always make em look so great...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
The websites always make em look so great...
I've gotten into the habit of checking out the satellite view of campgrounds on google maps.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

We ran into the same thing at the koa in Coloma, mi. One water spigot and one electric pedestal serving 2 campsites. And up by the road also. Luckily our site had them on the correct side of our trailer, but our neighbors had to run their water and electric under the front of their trailer and under their awning to hook up. Friendly owners, but won't be going back.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
I've gotten into the habit of checking out the satellite view of campgrounds on google maps.
I do the same thing! Works well!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote