Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Leak at base of front bunk while moving

Hey guys,
We've been camping in our 19H several times this fall in heavy rain and the camper has been dry. But while travelling home in the rain the front seems to be leaking. The area at the hinge where the white vinyl cover attaches to the board with Velcro is getting wet - mostly on the "passenger" side. That board has actually started to fall apart from water damage and the velco won't hold anymore. I think it should be fairly straight forward to replace that board, but I want to fix the leak first.
Anyone else have this problem?
Mike
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

Got a picture of the wet/damaged area?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

I have a 2006 19h that leaks in the same place. The culprit seems to be the bunk seal. Over time it looks like it loses shape/elasticity and a small gap is visible. I have not replaced mine yet, but other threads on here say the replacement seal is a standard D seal. Sounds like getting the glue off is the most difficult part. I wish the seal was in a small channel instead of adhesive.
Sw7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #4

I recall a long time ago that automotive body shops used to use a small amount of black "plyable" putty of sorts to fix a rubber seal that lost its shape. As long as the seal itself was still flexable, they would apply some of this stuff behind the rubber, to push it outward.

Another old trick my father in law used to do was to apply some brake fluid to a rag, then wipe down a rubber seal. He said it will make the rubber seal swell. I tried it once on a rubber seal used in an old 58 Apache pickup I had with a vacuum driven windshield wiper setup. After applying the brake fluid on that seal, the wipers did work again, as the seal did swell out, sealing it against the vacuum canister.

The bad part of brake fluid though is that it will mare paint, so don't do it if the rubber seal touches a painted surface.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote