Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

Unhappy Leak in X23B

Hi fellow hybrid owners/lovers -

I just posted in the problems and issue category but thought I would post in the Hybrid group as well

I have a leak in my new TT - 2012 X23B.

The water seems to be traveling from the back wall behind the sink out to the middle of the room and making a puddle.

The wood that supports or holds the cabinets was cracked and moldy. the other side was bowed.

This happened after a heavy rain storm while we were camping two weekends ago.

It is in as a warranty issue, but the issue can't be replicated. I asked if this is considered a continuing issue if it can't be fixed in two years under warranty, and was told it wouldn't be covered.

I am attaching a PDF link below - pics were all upside down when I tried to post.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. We are also emailing Jayco due to the feedback we just received from the RV shop.

Thanks!

http://www.detourmarketing.com/leak.pdf
Equal-izer 6K
Campin' Muds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #2

Did they pressure test the water lines as well as test the trailer itself to see if any leaks around running lights or vents?
2013 Jayco X23B
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

After a couple of outings in our X23B I started seeing a leak in just about the same place. Mine turned out to be the removable under-sink cold water section of plumbing for the filter. If your awning was up then the stove vent, outside speakers and window are possible culprits, maybe the light by the door. On the roof there's the radio and TV antennas and then the A/C but water coming in there would have to find its way to the area under the sink.
Post your findings and how your dealer handles your problems.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

They did run a full pressure test and didn't find any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpetrey View Post
Did they pressure test the water lines as well as test the trailer itself to see if any leaks around running lights or vents?
Equal-izer 6K
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Those are all great places for leaks to start. I will suggest those to the dealer. I was a little steamed at the lack of enthusiasm towards the issue. They asked if they should continue to look for the issue. The cabinets have been fixed but that doesn't mean much if the issue hasn't been resolved. We also sent a message to Jayco. I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks for the possible entry points. I will ask if they tested with the awning out or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
After a couple of outings in our X23B I started seeing a leak in just about the same place. Mine turned out to be the removable under-sink cold water section of plumbing for the filter. If your awning was up then the stove vent, outside speakers and window are possible culprits, maybe the light by the door. On the roof there's the radio and TV antennas and then the A/C but water coming in there would have to find its way to the area under the sink.
Post your findings and how your dealer handles your problems.
Equal-izer 6K
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Two things come to mind;

1) The cracked board. That board was split when the trailer was assembled. The funny thing is mine is cracked in the same spot, it is usually due to the screw either being installed to close to the edge of the board or if there is weak wood grain there. It happens.

2) Check your slider window behind the sink. There are little slots to allow the rain water to drain to the outside. However these are very small slits and can plug very easily. Or if it rained so hard and fast that the drains could not keep up. Then the water would overflow the slide channels and potential go down the wall.

What I would be concerned about is mold abatement. Mold is never good! If the dealer and Jayco does not fix it, I would contact your insurance Co, they have very good lawyers, and I bet they would go after Jayco/dealer to fix it right.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Thanks Jagiven. Good to know about the split board. I was worried the wood got warped and split due to the water issue. I will also offer the slider window as a potential culprit. Our awning was up, but there still might have been water making it way down the trailer.

It had to be leaking for a while for mold to start. Funny thing is I thought I would be dealing with leaking tent ends not a leak in the center of the TT.

We did hear back from Jayco via Facebook and they said to call CS at their 800#.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Two things come to mind;

1) The cracked board. That board was split when the trailer was assembled. The funny thing is mine is cracked in the same spot, it is usually due to the screw either being installed to close to the edge of the board or if there is weak wood grain there. It happens.

2) Check your slider window behind the sink. There are little slots to allow the rain water to drain to the outside. However these are very small slits and can plug very easily. Or if it rained so hard and fast that the drains could not keep up. Then the water would overflow the slide channels and potential go down the wall.

What I would be concerned about is mold abatement. Mold is never good! If the dealer and Jayco does not fix it, I would contact your insurance Co, they have very good lawyers, and I bet they would go after Jayco/dealer to fix it right.
Equal-izer 6K
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #8

Keep us updated.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin' Muds View Post
They asked if they should continue to look for the issue.

Hmmmmm, Let's see......................... No, I think we'll just let it completely fill with water, add some fish and have a large portable aquarium.

There's just some people that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a TT, much less "try" to repair one.
I think getting Jayco involved was a good move. Let us know how this unfolds. And Good luck!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #10

I have another call into the dealership asking for an update - had to leave a VM. I also talked with CS from Jayco and she, Lisa, was very nice. Lisa asked for my VIN. Apparently they might be contacted and info/issues is logged under the VIN. There was no info logged that the dealer contacted them about my TT. Lisa was going to talk with their tech people and contact the dealer to find out what the situation is and then get back to me. Finger crossed!
Equal-izer 6K
Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #11

Heard back from the dealer. Sounds like they did their due diligence with the leak but I haven;'t seen the repairs to the cabinets yet. I will share pics. Not really that impressed that the leak wasn't found on the sink side. Apparently they found two leaks on the slide side and one on the rook with were all caulked/resealed. Time will tell if we see the leak again. If there was mold/rotten wood from teh cabinets, does anyone think there might be more in the wall? I called Jayco as well and explained the situation. They assured me they were going to look into the issue and get back to me... no call back. I will follow up with them by the end of the week of I don't hear anything. I will keep everyone posted on any new developments. Not the best feeling with this experience but I hope it will be the last.
Equal-izer 6K
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #12

Thanks for the update, hope it all works out for you.
2013 Jayco X23B
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #13

I have had a water leak in my 23j as well. I boughtr a brand new 2011 23j this year (last years model), I want to upgrade to the 2012 model with the crowned roof....Jayco has not been helpful at all...I am very dissatisfied with the customer service that they have given me. THis is the second brand new Jayco i purchased.....not sure if I will purchase another one in the future.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #14

Where was the water leak on your 23J? I am not having any leaks as of yet, but would like to know where yours was so I can inspect that area on my trailer.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #15

They said it came in from the air conditioner seal and ran back along the ceiling into the walls, it puddled up under the shower...
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote