Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Leaking Slide out

Hello and good morning all,
I have a problem that I doubt is unique. I recently purchased a 2012 X23B camper and went out this morning to check it out after a soaking overnight rain. I was quite happy with the results until I checked the bottom inside of the slide out. It is soaked! I know the quick answer will be that the gasket is the problem but after a quick check it looks fine. I am going to open it in a while to get a better look but I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this problem and , if so, what do I do to fix it. There is also some water damage on the floor in back of the sofa which is probably connected. I did use a heater yesterday but it really wasn't all that cold and there were no condensation issues apparent. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

May be related, but there was a thread the other day called DYI Awnings, where the member talked about preventing some leaks through the slide out using a small awning he made

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My BIL had a 2006 23B, but never experienced any leaks around the slide. He did however have an upper seal go bad on the HTT's front fold-out panel.

Moisture leaks can have many root causes, so until you can find where the moisture is getting in the recommended fix is difficult to comment on.

If the root cause isn't obvious, I would take a garden hose (with slide closed) and run water over the top seal area. Also, if you had a hard blowing rain check around the window(s) and the slide's vertical edge seals.

With the slide opened, check along the top edge slide roofing material seam, there is usually a 2"-4" wide piece of adhesive tape running the length......, check for any compromises.

I would also check the slide interior ceiling/walls for any signs of moisture, may help in narrowing down the possibilities.

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips, I took the couch completely out this morning and got a better look around. The only thing I could find so far is that the gaskets, which I believe are supposed to flip back and forth as the slide out opens and closes were not flipping correctly. I pushed them manually and checked again. This seemed to work but there is still water on the top of the slide out. I did have it open in the rain this morning so I will watch it closely. Luckily its going to rain all day (can't believe I said that) so checking it will be easy. I will also check the seam as suggested.
Camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

Check the gasket along the top of the slide. Twigs, sticks, acorns, etc can get in there and water may getting in where they are. Slide something in the crevice to see if there is anything lodged in there and remove anything in there so the gasket can make a good seal. You'd be surprised what you might find that you cant see.
techmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Also be sure and use a slide seal conditioner/lubricant so the seals don't grab and fold over.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Also be sure and use a slide seal conditioner/lubricant so the seals don't grab and fold over.
Tell me more about this. Products, where to buy, etc..
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #8

First I'm hearing about slide seal lubricant as well. So what ^ said.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

This stuff or any brand will do.

http://tweetys.com/premium-rubber-se...FU5rfgodbmMA1A

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote