Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

LED Interior Lamp Bulbs?

Has anyone replaced their interior bulbs with LEDs? If so, what wattage or lumens did you get and where did you get them? The bulbs in my x17z look like a wedge base bulb and so far the replacement LED units seem pretty pricey. I'm looking to cut down my DC draw on the battery when dry camping and know that the old style bulbs use a lot.

Thanks!
Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

I got these. They are not cheap, but work well. Their output seems to me to be about the same as the standard bulb, and about the same color. In my double ceiling lamps, I just replaced one bulb and removed the other one. We have plenty of light.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #3

I have only replaced one interior fixture lamp with an LED. I don't burn my lights that much when boondocking and the cost just isn't worth it to me. I have a generator and the little bit that I run the generator to make coffee in the am keeps my batteries from running down too much anyway, so I'll stick with my incandescents/fluorescents until the cost comes down and the color gets better. I don't feel we are there yet.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

I don't know what type of bulbs your TT has but I have done both of these with good results. The 2nd one I purchased off of eBay for around $5 and it works just fine so far.

http://www.commandelectronics.com/le...s/K-900UPG.pdf

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3231wt_1177

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

I did every light inside and outside of my RV pricy YES but worth it... be aware some of them will knock out over the air TV..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Seann, that 2nd light above that I mentioned isn't regulated so it's supposed to not interfere. That's what a friend tells me although I haven't hit the problem yet with either.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I think I will wait and see how it goes. I'm a retired electronics technician and know for a fact that those diode lights are way over priced. I'll wait for the novelity to wear off and the price gets more realistic.
I have access to a 2 kw quiet Honda generator (my brother's) so I'll probably borrow that this year to recharge the battery as needed.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #8

I purchased my replacement "bulbs" at an RV show. All of my interior lights are now LED, and the outside porch lamp is LED. I purchased the bright white and like another poster, I only put one LED bulb in each of the double lamp fixtures. About half of my camping is dry, so I like to use as little electricity as possible. I paid $17 each. All of my bulbs have wedge bases.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
I purchased my replacement "bulbs" at an RV show. All of my interior lights are now LED, and the outside porch lamp is LED. I purchased the bright white and like another poster, I only put one LED bulb in each of the double lamp fixtures. About half of my camping is dry, so I like to use as little electricity as possible. I paid $17 each. All of my bulbs have wedge bases.
Which manufacturer did you use to replace your bulbs? Just the bulbs, right? Not the fixtures?

Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56 View Post
Has anyone replaced their interior bulbs with LEDs? If so, what wattage or lumens did you get and where did you get them? The bulbs in my x17z look like a wedge base bulb and so far the replacement LED units seem pretty pricey. I'm looking to cut down my DC draw on the battery when dry camping and know that the old style bulbs use a lot.

Thanks!
I was just looking at a ton of articles on this as well. We dry camp almost exclusively and the one thing that makes the most difference on the battery is the lighting. We can run the furnace all weekend but if we turn on those lights, we're done. So right now we have those LED under-counter lights all over plus we hang these small lanterns from S-hooks from the tent end holders. Works really well. I use those Command velco tabs to hang a dollar store push button light for the bathroom plus we have a lantern in there. But we need to do something to change all the lights out or get one of those Honda gennies because I can't stand the stress of always checking the battery to see if we can run the furnace or if we need to trickle charge the battery or switch it out. Solar - here we come!

But if anyone else has a great light, let us know! I was pricing the Command lights but then I think you have to replace the whole unit as well - right?

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
I just ordered one of these to test out in our TT. Hope it works well because it would make life so much easier (not to mention easier on the pocketbook!) until we can get our solar power configured and running!

Thanks for the tip!

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #12

It looks like my seller doesn't have them anymore. But what I did was buy a few units off e-bay from China. At about $5 shipped I played around with them and decided what I liked. Then did a bulk order to replace all the bulbs. I did not replace the fixtures.

Here is the one I settled on, but it doesn't look like it is available anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_2610wt_1139

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
I just ordered one of these to test out in our TT. Hope it works well because it would make life so much easier (not to mention easier on the pocketbook!) until we can get our solar power configured and running!

Thanks for the tip!

Kim
Let me know how it works out Kim. I assume you have the wedge type T10 bulbs?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #14

You'll notice they come with three different connectors. Kim, if you find they work for you, you can also buy them in a 10-pack and save a couple of $.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #15

I have a 17 replaced all my bulbs with led wedge bulbs. We run totally on solar. The bulbs are about $15.00 a piece. Worth it for the power saving and you will never need to replace it again.We bought the bulbs from a little shop in Sarnia Ontario. They an get you almost any thing in any quantity
Lounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #16

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...nection-/56015

this is the same replacement bulb as I bought but a little more expensive. I you like I could find out where my guy gets them from and post it. The I find the light as bright as the original but actually easier on the eyes
Lounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
You'll notice they come with three different connectors. Kim, if you find they work for you, you can also buy them in a 10-pack and save a couple of $.
Yes, we will! Thanks!

Kim

Posted from a glorious camp in AZ

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56 View Post
Let me know how it works out Kim. I assume you have the wedge type T10 bulbs?

Thanks!
Oh, you're so cute! I have no idea! It's whatever came standard in the X18D. By Command. 900 series.

I will post results in a couple of weeks when we receive the bulb.

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #19

I have replaced all of my 921 bulbs with LED stick-on boards. The first round I went with Command Electronics and LED TRAILERLIGHTS which really duplicated the 921 BULBs just fine. Plenty of light and had the WARM WHITE color. After doing the reseacrh and all it turns out you need to get at least something in the 400 LUMENSrange and the color should be WARM WHITE.

I didnt have to chage out any of the light fixtures as these LED boards just stick up inside the fixtures with doublesided sticky tape. The Command Electronic version board had the proper adpter cable to plug into the 921 socket in the fixture. The LEDTRAILER lights were for the outside lights on my my trailer. The change-over to LED lights will give you an 80% savings of power over the incandescent automotive bulb lights. They also dont have anywhere the heat generated as the incandescent light do. My fixtures were starting to turn brown from using the automotive type hot bulbs.

I thought I was good to go until our first camping off the power grid amd then I noticed I had alot of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) with the HDTV, the NOAH WX Radio, and all of my radio scanners and Ham radio units that operated in the VHF/UHF frequency band. This was enhanced more camping off the power grid as we was trying to use the OTA crank-up BATWING antenna HDTV. Doing so it would completely BLANK the HDTV screen and eventually go to the dreaded blue screen that says NO SIGNAL. As soon as you turn off the LED lights the HDTV would jump back to life with perfect picture.

This being what I go camping for with all my radios sure was a big surprise to be picking up the RFI signals from the LED lights. No one warmed me of this haha... Working with a bunch of the RV.net Ham Radio guys we determined the expensive LED SMD boards that had regulator chips on their boards was the problem area. They use a BUCK BOOST type regulation circuit on the boards to allow the input DC voltage to have a range of 8VDC to 30Vdc and still operate their LED board within specs. The BUCK BOOST regulator is what generates the RFI signals. It is within FCC specs but nevertheless it still radiated enough engery to blank out my radio/tv units that operated in the vhf/uhf frequency bands..

The fix turns out to get a LED SMD board that does not incorporate the on-board regulator chip circuit. It turned out Ebay was lisiting a real cheap LED board from China for $4.99 each that did not incude the regulator chip and I ordered one of those to see how it would do. It worked just fine with all my radios and HDTV. The boards were alot smaller but still was as bright as the high dollar SMD boards.

The ebay-china LED board has a vdc voltage spec of 12VDC-14VDC which is border line for the smart-mode charging DC Voltage of 14.4VDC but my LED boards do just fine with that. I have had mine in use now for around two years and only have one three LED group out of the 36 LEDs on the board that are now off. When it gets alot worse I will just replace the $4.99 board with a new one. price is sure right...

To save face with already having the other LEDs on hand I modified my DUAL light fixture to have a OFF-ONE-BOTH three way switch so I could switch in the non-regulated LED board by itself when camping off the power grid and then use BOTH sides when camping at a camp site on the power grid. I have a non-regulated SMD board in one side and the regulated SMD board in the other side of the dual fixture. If I get the RFI too bad to operate the radios then I can always switch back to the ONE position and still have lights on inside the trailer.

ALot of guys you will talk with says they dont have the problem but I dont think they realize the problem is there or they arent using sensitive radio equipment etc... The HDTV doesnt blank off when using the CABLE TV jack at the camp sites.

The bottom line on any of the LED purchases is to only order ONE or TWO not the whole batch you need and try them out and see if they are what you want. The different companies dont always tell you what the whole spec is. I lost about $150 by buying a whole replacement bunch and then had to convert those to yet a different LED board to be able to operate my radio equipment.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I have replaced all of my 921 bulbs with LED stick-on boards. The first round I went with Command Electronics and LED TRAILERLIGHTS which really duplicated the 921 BULBs just fine. Plenty of light and had the WARM WHITE color. After doing the reseacrh and all it turns out you need to get at least something in the 400 LUMENSrange and the color should be WARM WHITE.

I didnt have to chage out any of the light fixtures as these LED boards just stick up inside the fixtures with doublesided sticky tape. The Command Electronic version board had the proper adpter cable to plug into the 921 socket in the fixture. The LEDTRAILER lights were for the outside lights on my my trailer. The change-over to LED lights will give you an 80% savings of power over the incandescent automotive bulb lights. They also dont have anywhere the heat generated as the incandescent light do. My fixtures were starting to turn brown from using the automotive type hot bulbs.

I thought I was good to go until our first camping off the power grid amd then I noticed I had alot of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) with the HDTV, the NOAH WX Radio, and all of my radio scanners and Ham radio units that operated in the VHF/UHF frequency band. This was enhanced more camping off the power grid as we was trying to use the OTA crank-up BATWING antenna HDTV. Doing so it would completely BLANK the HDTV screen and eventually go to the dreaded blue screen that says NO SIGNAL. As soon as you turn off the LED lights the HDTV would jump back to life with perfect picture.

This being what I go camping for with all my radios sure was a big surprise to be picking up the RFI signals from the LED lights. No one warmed me of this haha... Working with a bunch of the RV.net Ham Radio guys we determined the expensive LED SMD boards that had regulator chips on their boards was the problem area. They use a BUCK BOOST type regulation circuit on the boards to allow the input DC voltage to have a range of 8VDC to 30Vdc and still operate their LED board within specs. The BUCK BOOST regulator is what generates the RFI signals. It is within FCC specs but nevertheless it still radiated enough engery to blank out my radio/tv units that operated in the vhf/uhf frequency bands..

The fix turns out to get a LED SMD board that does not incorporate the on-board regulator chip circuit. It turned out Ebay was lisiting a real cheap LED board from China for $4.99 each that did not incude the regulator chip and I ordered one of those to see how it would do. It worked just fine with all my radios and HDTV. The boards were alot smaller but still was as bright as the high dollar SMD boards.

The ebay-china LED board has a vdc voltage spec of 12VDC-14VDC which is border line for the smart-mode charging DC Voltage of 14.4VDC but my LED boards do just fine with that. I have had mine in use now for around two years and only have one three LED group out of the 36 LEDs on the board that are now off. When it gets alot worse I will just replace the $4.99 board with a new one. price is sure right...

To save face with already having the other LEDs on hand I modified my DUAL light fixture to have a OFF-ONE-BOTH three way switch so I could switch in the non-regulated LED board by itself when camping off the power grid and then use BOTH sides when camping at a camp site on the power grid. I have a non-regulated SMD board in one side and the regulated SMD board in the other side of the dual fixture. If I get the RFI too bad to operate the radios then I can always switch back to the ONE position and still have lights on inside the trailer.

ALot of guys you will talk with says they dont have the problem but I dont think they realize the problem is there or they arent using sensitive radio equipment etc... The HDTV doesnt blank off when using the CABLE TV jack at the camp sites.

The bottom line on any of the LED purchases is to only order ONE or TWO not the whole batch you need and try them out and see if they are what you want. The different companies dont always tell you what the whole spec is. I lost about $150 by buying a whole replacement bunch and then had to convert those to yet a different LED board to be able to operate my radio equipment.
Do you want to sell rour old ones?