Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
2008 Jayco 17c ex-port. For me there is significant camper usefulness. The OEM tires, ST185/80/D13 are legal and fine if they last a lifetime. If I recall, they are rated at 1,660 lbs. x2=3,320 with the remaining 180 lb coming from the roughly 300 lb on the hitch. The problem is they do not last a lifetime and cannot be found in stock in at least 8 states where I've had failures or wanted to get a spare. It is a three day order item. That makes it a poor choice.

The alternative in that size is the radial version which is sometimes available. It took 3 states for me to find 3 tires, but they are rated at 1,480 (memory), 180 lbs less than the bias ties and throw the belted tread off in about 2,000 miles. In my case the thrown belt did $350 damage to the camper black water system.

Thus 14" radials at 1,740 lbs (memory).

Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
2008 Jayco 17c. With the 14" tires & wheels replacing the OEM 13" I was towing yesterday after doing inflation (50#) checks. The camper was very lightly loaded, probably 2,850 lbs, about 100 lbs lighter than dry.

The two places where the camper always drags, it did not. I went over each very slowly, but at similar angles than when they do drag.

As I mentioned earlier, knowing then what I know now I would have considered 15" wheels and tires and tested to see if they would fit.

While in the hunt for a proper tire I was told by a tire veteran that the 14" would ride slightly higher and the sidewalls would be stiffer. I doubted the stiffness part since I moved from bias to radial, but working with the two it appears true. The 14" wheel and tire weighs about 44 lbs. The 13" OEM about 34.

Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer lift