Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Moisture under beds

i have a x17z and almost everytime we've camped ive noticed moisture under the mattresses, no problem with mold because we just lift the mattresses in the morning and during the day. does anyone have any suggestions to keep it dry under the mattress or is this just a normal thing with condensation? thanks
Leedawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-34069.html

twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Wouldn't placing a sheet of styrofoam insulation board, maybe 1-1/2 or 2 inches thick, under the mattress get rid of the temperature difference that's causing the under-mattress condensation?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #4

Just leave a window cracked open a bit. The one we leave open is a small one above the sink in our X20E.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

I feel that you pay this kind of money for a top named camper, you wouldn't have this problem. I just used my 2016 16XRB camper twice and both times the mattresses got wet. Using fans and opening windows is not a fix. If I were told of this when I bought the camper, I wouldn't have. I had a regular Pop up for years and had no problem. Very disappointed!
dshartman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshartman11 View Post
I feel that you pay this kind of money for a top named camper, you wouldn't have this problem. I just used my 2016 16XRB camper twice and both times the mattresses got wet. Using fans and opening windows is not a fix. If I were told of this when I bought the camper, I wouldn't have. I had a regular Pop up for years and had no problem. Very disappointed!
Not to dismiss your concern, but this is an issue that's frequently discussed in RV forums like this one and rv.net. We bought our first hybrid in 2003and knew back then that condensation was a potential issue.

I had pop-ups and never had this problem either. It's because by it's nature a pop-up "breathes". Not all of the canvas on a pop-up is vinyl covered. This issue is unique to all hybrids no matter who the manufacturer is, and it's because the canvas is vinyl covered. No air can move through the canvas bunk ends. If you give the moisture a place to go you reduce or eliminate the problem. It's like the need to put a dehumidifier in a basement.

One thing that's positive about this, is that it doesn't happen in warm weather. Only when its cold and you're running the furnace.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #7

I think this is primarily a HTT thing. We have experienced a little moisture under the mattress, during a normal weekend trip I do nothing about it. When we close up and get home its all dried up.

As for general condensation issues, which HTTs are known for, we leave a side window on each bunk cracked open about 4 inches (in total) and have the opening in the upper most corner. During hard rains water never gets in. We also leave our bathroom roof vent cracked open about 1/2 to 1 inch. We do have a Max Air roof vent cover. Since doing this moisture is not an issue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

DocBrown, the problem with "it's frequently discussed in forums like this..." is you don't discover these forums until you've plunked down at least $25,000, and sold the tent trailer. Having never in 20 years had the issue with my 2 Coleman tent trailers, I'd never have dreamd I'd have it in a hybrid. The bed base on my Colemans was wood, also, which breathes better than the fiberglass wall which is now my base. It sounds like each person has pretty much found their own solution, but not all are the same. The theory that it only happens when it's cold and you are using the furnace is wrong. We are camping in So. Cal, it is not cold, and we are not using our furnace, and only the bed we are sleeping on has the wet mattress. The ones we are storing stuff on have no moisture. Good luck, Leedawg84, and if you get your issue fixed, let me know. I'm working on it, too.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

When propane burns it gives off a lot of moisture, we use 2 very small ceramic heaters. Just crack the kitchen window and leave the bathroom vent cracked open. We only heat enough to keep the chill off, and load up on the blankets for sleeping. Only run the furnace when we get out of bed in the morning.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #10

Vinyl

I thought about inserting vinyl inside the mattress cover, Bottom, to keep the body heat from going through to the cooler bed top.
dshartman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
DocBrown, the problem with "it's frequently discussed in forums like this..." is you don't discover these forums until you've plunked down at least $25,000, and sold the tent trailer. Having never in 20 years had the issue with my 2 Coleman tent trailers, I'd never have dreamd I'd have it in a hybrid.
OK, I'll play devil's advocate on this comment. Do you buy cars also without research? I'm betting you don't.

20 years ago when the Internet was young, yeah, it was tough to find out "real" info. But today? I won't drop $100 bucks on something without doing my due diligence. Everything you want to know about is out there, granted you have to wade through a lot of crap, but it's there. Google is your friend.

I'm not downplaying your concern, in fact I sympathize. But I can't help but wonder why you didn't research trailers before you dropped the money. And the good folks here are offering real advice that actually works, and yet it's getting dismissed.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #12

We researched, but never saw anything about the bed moisture until I asked about window condensation on another thread. Then I knew to watch for it.

And I'm not dismissing any advice, I've already tried several, and and so far, none have worked. More ideas are welcome. After reading this forum for several months, I figure if this is the worst issue we have, we are doing well.

Thanks, Chuck.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #13

Here's the strange thing. When we had our old hybrid, a Jayco Kiwi 17a, we'd leave a flap open a little in the bunk end. Worked great. Doesn't work in our X20E. As said above we stumbled on the solution by accident. Leaving the little crank out window open above the sink works great. And it's no where near the beds, it's in the middle of the trailer.

That said just keep experimenting with different ideas.

And you're right, this is a small issue.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Rabalin: When propane burns it gives off a lot of moisture.......
Hope you referring to your stove and not the furnace. Because the furnace is external combustion.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshartman11 View Post
I always do my research 1st and well in advance of making any purchase so I would have no one to blame buy myself. Yes, I have very little moisture on the bottom of mine in spring and fall but I knew that going in to this purchase and I'm overjoyed with this Hybrid. Last year I purchased the Jayco heating pads ( don't use the heat), put my sleeping bag on top and now I have 0 moisture issues under the mattress. Hope you experiment and solve this issue because you have a very fine Jayco product that will give many many years of enjoyment for you and your family.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

Yes HTT's have condensation issues.
Been a problem with water getting between the mattress and bed end doors.
Plenty of information out there on the subject.

The other well known thing that HTT's suffer from is caused by the same condensation under the beds.
It's delamanation of the outside fiberglass on the bed end doors.
It's also been talked about and battled with manufactures for years.

So be vilagant about solving the condensation issue. It will cause delamanation of the doors and you will need to replace them if it continues.

Something like this has helped some people
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #17

moisture

Intriguing thread, I did a ton of research and read threads on HTT until I was blue in the face and never ran across the moisture issue until after purchase, haven't even picked mine up yet (Monday )

I came from a pop up with a full heater and we never once had condensation/moisture issues, that being said there were giant air gaps everywhere especially around the pull out beds due to the design. Well ventilated would be an understatement. I think it also has something to do with how many people are sleeping in the unit. I build custom aquariums for a living, how is this a link you might be asking? In Minnesota where Im from there is problem in aquaria that results when you have excessive CO2 from breathing in smaller houses because it builds up. I have a client whose tank can't maintain proper Ph of 8.3 because they have 6 people living in a 800 sq ft townhouse, there is so much ambient CO2 the Ph stays well under 8.0 and doesn't really matter how much buffer you throw in there it will not climb to normal.

So that being said Im planning on leaving all my top roof vents open/cracked and just letting the forced air heat run wild if it wants to this will naturally aspirate the inside. Im also planning on the spongey mat things from the depot if necessary so thanks for posting that. Mold sucks, I deal with it all the time in the aquarium industry, ventilation is key some small fans would help to push the air around at night I bet a lot of exhausted breath hangs in those areas over the beds. Pros and Cons but I know Im going to love my HTT you can't expect campers to be perfect.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedawg84 View Post
i have a x17z and almost everytime we've camped ive noticed moisture under the mattresses, no problem with mold because we just lift the mattresses in the morning and during the day. does anyone have any suggestions to keep it dry under the mattress or is this just a normal thing with condensation? thanks
Here's a product used in the marine industry.
HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

This is apparently one of a hybrid's flaws. To eliminate mattress damage in mine, i waterproofed the bottom of my mattresses.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #20

How did you waterproof the bottom of the mattresses?
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote