Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

NADA on jayco hybrid...

Hi! We are hopefully going to be new owners of a 2007 Jayco Jayfeather 19H. First-timers! We are having some issues in the negotiation process (private sale). The camper is in excellent condition - the bathroom mirror needs to be replaced - just cosmetic damage and some leak damage on the wood by one of the beds. Pin-hole leak in the sewage hose - but they said they will replace. The tires have NEVER been replaced - so 6-year tires... They are asking 10,500 and going by the NADA average retail showing 11,300. What they did was add the "standard" options into that retail price and also an inverter for $450, which the camper does NOT have. My bank - and I can see on the NADA site that you are NOT supposed to click anything that is standard for that unit - also there is a note that the value pak is already added into base price as well.... This would bring it closer to the 8300 base price - average retail for the unit. Any comments on this would be great!! I have researched to death and we are obviously nervous to get a unit that needs new tires or something else major. We also DO NOT want to pay too much for the camper.
Bowen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

I'd offer them the $8300 and walk if they don't take it. There are plenty of trailers out there to choose from...be patient and the right one will come along.

As far as the tires go, there are folks who would practically put new ones on every year almost. Inspect the tires closely and look for weather checking/cracking or any other damage that might be a concern. My 2006 has the original tires, was parked outdoors in the summer and spent Sept-May inside a building and I have no reason to suspect that they are on the verge of failure.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! IMO that`s too much money (10,500) for that camper, all things you listed being considered. And a 2007 is now 6 model years old. You also mention "leak damage". Water intrusion is the number one enemy of all RV`s, and there could be more damage then what meets the eye. Before putting that kind of money in a 6 yr old trailer with bad tires and other unknowns I would think new or keep looking around at other used units.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

Welcome to the JOF Bowen5! Ditto on the leak damage. With slides, there could be other water damage. Look well under the mattress etc etc

Check the tires well. We bought a three year old Casita a few years back. Tires had tread, but neither of us really looked at the side-walls; we had a blow out 1000 miles down the road (we were traveling). Checked the other tire and had some weather cracking. Also, apparently the OG never 'greased' the brakes. Here is a link posted earlier on tire info

2007? Never know what else may need to be fixed. I would suggest no more than $8300 if you are to buy the new tires and grease the brakes. Happy shopping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #5

I agree with all above. Tires need to be replaced every 5 years with good maintenece schedules so your overdue. Trealife left or not, dry rot is your enemy. If NADA is showing 10,500 then I would be 15-20% below with some of the issues you mentioned. Tough economy, water damage, old tires and beefed up NADA for comparison. Just do a Google seach for Jayflights for like prices regardless of size or location. Who knows you might find one a bit larger or cheaper in the process.

Being private you can take 10% of any dealer prices too as a start. Also check the build date on the yellow tag to confirm year.

Good luck and welcome.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the responses!

Great responses! Thx Well they will not budge enough. Before reading this I told them 9100 max pending inspection at a shop - but they came back saying 9800 and they believe their trailer is worth even more than the 9800 and this is with the old tires lol. So I will still be on the hunt!
Bowen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

You could probably find a new 19H for 13,000. Way too much
Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

It's amazing what some folks think they're used TT are worth!

In our looking on-line for used ones, some were asking almost what a new camper would sell for. One thing you may want to consider though is Jaycos' 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, something you don't get on a used one. For me, the peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Good Luck in your search!
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
It's amazing what some folks think they're used TT are worth!

In our looking on-line for used ones, some were asking almost what a new camper would sell for. One thing you may want to consider though is Jaycos' 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, something you don't get on a used one. For me, the peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Good Luck in your search!
The problem is many of these folks selling their trailers are underwater on their loans. They take out long term, high rate loans then after a few years decide to or have to sell and the principal on the loan is almost what it was to begin with, but the trailer has depreciated. To make matters worse, they may have overpaid to begin with and financed the taxes/fees as well increasing the principal even more. So they feel they have to ask a rediculous price when they sell to satisfy the loan or take a bath on it. That`s one reason there are so many over priced units on the market IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Good call holding off on the purchase. A quick search for a used 19H and I found they ranged from $8-12,000. Then, of course, I found a 2012 model for $16,000. Anytime there's even a light suggestion of a leak inside I'd walk away. No worries...your new trailer will find you soon enough!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #11

Smile

I bought my 19H when it was 6 years old. I paid $8,000 for it plus got a new hitch set up with it. The right deal is out there, it took me 8 months to find mine. Know exactly what you want and what suits you and your family. Good luck and be patient, the right Jayco is waiting for you.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
Good call holding off on the purchase. A quick search for a used 19H and I found they ranged from $8-12,000. Then, of course, I found a 2012 model for $16,000. Anytime there's even a light suggestion of a leak inside I'd walk away. No worries...your new trailer will find you soon enough!
16K is too much for a 19. We paid that for a fully loaded 23B
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker View Post
16K is too much for a 19. We paid that for a fully loaded 23B
LOL, If you paid 16K for a fully loaded 23B..... you didn't buy it, you stole it!
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #14

I just purchased a 2007 19H less than a month ago for $7800. And that includd the 4-point Equilizer WD system. They were asking $8500 which was in line with nada but worked them down a bit.
blupony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupony View Post
I just purchased a 2007 19H less than a month ago for $7800. And that includd the 4-point Equilizer WD system. They were asking $8500 which was in line with nada but worked them down a bit.
Don't know the options for either, but otherwise informative info for Bowen5! I'm guessing Crabby was right... the current owners could owe more than it's worth

What did you wind up doing Bowen5?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #16

Sometimes if a trailer is in top condition and there are not many available in a given town and so the seller can ask more.... We received top dollar for our used trailer but it was in near perfect condition. Like with houses, the market does determine the price. However in this case.. I agree with the others, there are some warning signs on the trailer you are looking at. if that many little things are damaged that you can see, there are probably lots that you can't. People who really look after their trailers generally fix things before even listing them... keep looking

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
LOL, If you paid 16K for a fully loaded 23B..... you didn't buy it, you stole it!
I just paid 16,500 for a 2011 x23j in new condition. It looks like it was never used. I even pealed many of the new stickers off from the inside, and that included the reese WD hitch. I think I got a good deal.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote