Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1

New 2007 23b owner!! Any suggestions or advice?

We are picking up our new/used camper this week. We are moving up from a 10 foot box pop up! I am terrified to pull it and back it in.. Fortunately, we will have seasoned big rig campers with us!! Please share any advice or must know information about your 23b! We are camping ten minutes from home, so we can run home if needed!!!
Thanks so much!
campergirl
Campergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

Terrified to pull and back it? Pulling it should not be much different than the pop up. Backing it you will find is much easier than the pop up. The longer axle to hitch distance is easier.

As for the advice read this thread in its entirety:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...aded-RV-moment

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campergirl View Post
We are picking up our new/used camper this week. We are moving up from a 10 foot box pop up! I am terrified to pull it and back it in.. Fortunately, we will have seasoned big rig campers with us!! Please share any advice or must know information about your 23b! We are camping ten minutes from home, so we can run home if needed!!!
Thanks so much!
campergirl
Congratulations! I have no advice (especially because my husband drives and my job is to stand in the campsite and yell directionals at him), but wanted to say hi as we too are picking up our 23b this week! Counting the hours til 5:30 Thursday. Virtual high five!! We are planning to camp out in the driveway this weekend for our test run before camping next weekend. (Incidentally, we too are upgrading from a pop up, so I especially feel your joy there!)
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Backing will be easier. I recommend practicing in a vacant parking lot by backing into an almost jack-knife position, slowly, with a person outside spotting you. When they tell you to stop, STOP. Look in you mirror and have your spotter place a piece of electrical tape on the front rail (above the diamond plate) just within view of the mirror unobscured by your tailgate. That way when you're backing at a campground, if you see the tape appear in your mirrorx you know you're about to jack-knife if you don't immediately correct.

Make sense?
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #5

Congratulations, you are going to love the 23B. We bought a used 2010 in the spring and have spent the entire summer getting to know the trailer. We use to have a 8ft pop up. As far as the towing just remember to take wide right turns. Can't give you any suggestions on backing up. Our first trip out we also camped with experience trailer campers, they gave us lots of little tips and even followed us into the dumping station and walked us thru it (which by the way is so easy). Oh I do have one tip lol I of course learned the hard way. Our first night in the trailer we decided to cook and use the stove. Well it was cold out so we did not have any windows open and I did not turn on the stove top fan on. The smoke detector went off lol. We could not open the door fast enough and were all fingers we had put the deadbolt on and could not figure out how to unlock it seemed like hours but was only seconds. So make sure you put the stove top fan on. I put the fan on and leave a window or two open. I cook outside mostly now I would rather use the campgrounds electricity them my propane. (I have a hot plate)

have fun!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

I tend to leave the bath vent open all the time (I also have a MaxxAir cover) and the bath door open (it gets pretty warm in there with the door closed). We were initially shopping for a PUP and I looked in a hybrid and was instantly sold. Once you get used to the wall of white that tailgates you should find it tows and backs pretty easy. Go slow and don't be afraid to stop, get out and take a look around. One of the serious selling points for me was the interior space (bunk-ends out) vs the towed length (bunks in). Since you're a PUP graduate you probably know about the pop-up gizmos. They make a difference by helping insulate the bunks.
If it's just the bride and I on an outing we only open the back bunk (we prefer that end). During the day we keep the curtains pulled to help keep the main cabin cooler. If we have additional guests for an outing I like to have an ice chest along for our beverages.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

We too were looking for a popup, but we could not agree on any. We absolutely love the 23B. Just invest in a good WD hitch with an integrated sway control. It is worth every penny and more.

As for backing up, you should be an old hat at it if you had a popup. You will find that it is easier as the wheel base is longer, but she will react slower. The DW and I we get out and discuss where we want the trailer parked and I usually look at the surrounding area and determine how far to pull forwards before backing in. I pull pretty far forwards before backing in. The thing I told my DW and kid, if they cannot see my face in the mirror(s), I cannot see them. I will stop backing up if they are out of sight for to long.

Good journeys

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

We had our 23b for 7 great seasons. It was almost as good as new when we traded.

Two suggestions if you don't mind. First, do a little research on the AC screws. You should check or have them checked. Too tight is as bad as too loose.

Second, check out Popup Gizmos for their end covers. Not only will they keep your bunk ends clean, they really reduce the heat loads on the bunk ends

I'm currently stressing about backing our new trailer. Practice helped a lot as did the reminder to take it sloooow. Lol

Hector
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstarsmoon View Post
Oh I do have one tip lol I of course learned the hard way. Our first night in the trailer we decided to cook and use the stove. Well it was cold out so we did not have any windows open and I did not turn on the stove top fan on. The smoke detector went off lol. We could not open the door fast enough and were all fingers we had put the deadbolt on and could not figure out how to unlock it seemed like hours but was only seconds. So make sure you put the stove top fan on. I put the fan on and leave a window or two open. I cook outside mostly now I would rather use the campgrounds electricity them my propane. (I have a hot plate)

have fun!
This also happened to us!! About 1:30 in the morning the alarm went off, and my wife flew out the camper!

I didn't realize what the problem was until I read about here!!

What a great site!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #10

I can't wait to oogle all the storage space!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw211 View Post
Congratulations! I have no advice (especially because my husband drives and my job is to stand in the campsite and yell directionals at him), but wanted to say hi as we too are picking up our 23b this week! Counting the hours til 5:30 Thursday. Virtual high five!! We are planning to camp out in the driveway this weekend for our test run before camping next weekend. (Incidentally, we too are upgrading from a pop up, so I especially feel your joy there!)
Campergirl is offline   Reply With Quote