Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #1

New 23J Owners going to Ohio

We are new 23J owners. We love hybrid camping so far. We will be heading to the state of Ohio during the month of July. We will be visiting family in the Columbus area and are willing to travel anywhere in the state with our camper. What are some of Ohio's best family destinations for camping and fun?

David
davenginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Mohican State Park is one of the nicest state parks I have been to. It is scenic, has a great pool, and over 20 miles of mountain bike trails. Plus, there is a lazy river running through it. You can walk down to a tube launch and cruise down the river. Get out, walk back, and do it again! But if you go, bring your own inner tubes. The nearest town gouges on the prices! (this one is a couple hours north of Columbus though.)

I also like a park called Cross Creek in Delaware. It is pricey and small, but the facilities are outstanding. They call themselves a camping resort. The sites are small and very close together. If you are into the rustic nature of camping, then this isn't the place for you. But if you like a pool, shuffleboard, super clean showers and laundry, activities, etc. then it is very nice.

Right across the road from this park is Alum Creek State Park. It is also nice. Great if you are into water sports and fishing. Also, their nature program for kids on the weekend is outstanding! Experienced naturalists with loads of activities. Showers ... not so great :S My family has never minded that part, though.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #3

Smile

Davenginny, Hope you enjoy your visit to Ohio! Before we settled down in a seasonal site, we camped in the state parks and really enjoyed them. Our favorites were Indian Lake near Russells Point, Salt Fork near Cambridge, Deer Creek near Mount Sterling, and Dillon near Zanesville. All are within an hour to an hour and a half from Columbus. They have nice sites with plenty of room. Indian Lake, Salt Fork and Deer Creek have really nice lakes if you enjoy boating, water sports, or fishing. Dillon also has a lake but I wouldn't get in it or eat anything caught from it. I agree with the previous poster about Mohican - very nice park. One word of caution with Alum Creek, it's one of the busiest state parks and the sites are smaller so you hear more noise. We enjoyed Indian Lake so much we found a seasonal site and we're there every weekend. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you're interested in these parks. Again, hope you enjoy your visit!

Mike & Michele Arnold with Maddie Jo & Molly (Cavachons)
2011 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2010 F150 4 x 4 Super Crew V8 w/Max Towing Package
2011 Bennington 24 SLi Pontoon
Headed to the Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

I didn't think about how busy Alum creek is. Good point. It shows how much people like it, which is a plus, but it is also a minus if you want a quiet stay. I've been to Deer creek twice. The campground is nice as well. The beach is quite a drive, and the hike to the lodge is long, but there is a pool there. When I went, the playgrounds were both in bad disrepair. But it is a quiet, nicely laid out park.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. I love mountain biking and can't wait to try out these Ohio trails. We are finalizing our plans this week. I will post updates on our trip later too.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

The Hocking Hills Area Never Disappoints

In addition to excellent camping, there are plenty of fun things to do for any age and physical condition. If you like site-seeing, Old Man Cave is a must. Wear comfortable shoes. I didn't do the stringlining - but it looked like a good time.

Welcome to Ohio,
Dale
Cincinnati, OH
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

If you like Amusement Parks, it's hard to beat Camper Village at Cedar Point.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. We are back in Georgia now. Our trip to Ohio was great! We visited family in the Columbus area and camped at Alum Creek State Park. My wife and I relaxed while my son fished and daughter visited with her cousin. We then went on to Niagra Falls from there.