Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 02:07 AM   #11

If you mean while it's parked can you leave the jack so it's touching the ground then Yes! Put a block of wood or one of those plastic 'Lego' looking blocks under it for better support.

JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflava View Post
Thank you all for the kinds welcome! I do have one question so far - I'm storing the camper on an uneven ground. Can I use the front electric tongue jack as a stabilizer or do I need to retract it?
The tongue jack is for leveling front to back. Your stabilizers are for stabilizing. You cannot lower the stabilizers and then retract the tongue jack. The weight of the trailer when unhitched is carried by the wheels and tongue jack. The stabilizers are purely to reduce bounce and make it more livable. I repeat do not lower the stabilizers and then retract the tongue jack.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittychris View Post
The tongue jack is for leveling front to back. Your stabilizers are for stabilizing. You cannot lower the stabilizers and then retract the tongue jack. The weight of the trailer when unhitched is carried by the wheels and tongue jack. The stabilizers are purely to reduce bounce and make it more livable. I repeat do not lower the stabilizers and then retract the tongue jack.
Thanks for the repetition. Got it, weight distribution on the tongue jack and wheels.

However, curious about the stabilizers - each one says max weight of 2500 lbs. I believe my entire camper dry is about 3000+ lbs. In theory, if I were to lift all four corners of the camper on level ground only on the stabilizers, that would put about 750 lbs on each jack, well under each jacks limit. Is the frame the weak point?
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the repetition. Got it, weight distribution on the tongue jack and wheels.

However, curious about the stabilizers - each one says max weight of 2500 lbs. I believe my entire camper dry is about 3000+ lbs. In theory, if I were to lift all four corners of the camper on level ground only on the stabilizers, that would put about 750 lbs on each jack, well under each jacks limit. Is the frame the weak point?
Yeah the frame is the weak point. It's possible that the frame would be weak enough that it will bend since you've removed the weight off the wheels and the span between supports is longer. However, it's unlikely since your TT is so short but as they get longer it can be a real problem. Also, those jack type stabs are notorious for not maintaining upward pressure and will need to be reset after prolonged periods of time. So yes you could probably lift it with the stabs (they're basically car jacks) but they will start to backoff over time.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #15

Those stabilizers are very poorly made and would start bending if you tried to put all the trailer weight on them. As smittychris said, the tires and tongue jack handle the weight, the stabilizers are just there to help with the rocking motion while your moving around inside the camper.
JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

Fellow x17z owners, we've had two trips so far with the camper and are very happy. Two questions for you guys:

1: When the unit is not hooked up to electricity, how do you get the rig to run on the battery? Nothing works (the battery indicator shows full) unless I hook the camper up. Perhaps I blew of main fuse?

2: Our roof AC unit also has a "Optional Heat" setting. When I set it to that setting and turn the temp on hot, it doesn't blow out hot air. Is it supposed to blow hot air?

Thanks in advance!
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Fellow x17z owners, we've had two trips so far with the camper and are very happy. Two questions for you guys:

1: When the unit is not hooked up to electricity, how do you get the rig to run on the battery? Nothing works (the battery indicator shows full) unless I hook the camper up. Perhaps I blew of main fuse?

2: Our roof AC unit also has a "Optional Heat" setting. When I set it to that setting and turn the temp on hot, it doesn't blow out hot air. Is it supposed to blow hot air?

Thanks in advance!
1) Do you get lights? Should not be much more than that. Batteries are giving you 12volts which should power lights, gas heater, water pump, water heater ignitor and maybe some fans if you have it. If you do not at least get interior lights, you blew a fuse and check the panel.

2) It may not heat unless it is plugged into "shore" power. 120volts. I bow to the x17z gods for this one...
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #18

Great to have you around here and your only 4-1/2 hours to the Oregon Coast. Your first stop is a must " Fort Sevens State Park"
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 AM   #19
M&A

For the AC heat, you probably need something like this -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCAT6C...=I8J2E0QEB40XW
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #20

I had a similar setup with a x17a and a Mazda CX-9 to tow it. Not enough. I bought a truck and it's easy now!

I've since replaced the stabilizers because the old ones bent. Partly my fault. Well. All my fault. I replaced with the scissor kind. 100% better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote