Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

New Hybrid . .. soft floor .. is this normal?

Hi .. if possible I would appreciate a few opinions concerning the floor in your hybrid or ultra-lite TT.

Last year I bought a brand new 2012 x23B. We didn't get to use it that much last year, but this year we have used it more. We have taken the trailer on about 8 camping trips . .. approximately 30 nights of camping. We have had a few small issues - first outing the arm of sofa fell off it was not screwed into wood .. I fixed this myself, shower head will no long shut off, I have small nail points coming through the walls in some of the washroom including in the shower and this is also noticeable on the outside wall of my pantry, toilet paper holder has come off twice now and appears to be screwed into only paneling, furnace stopped working . it appeared to be a loose connection in thermostat . I tightened a screw in thermostat and all appears well since.

I have some real concerns about the floor in this trailer. I realize the trailer is an ultra-lite and the floor is somewhat flexible due to its light-weight construction. However, the floor is increasingly getting more soft along the floor seams - where two pieces of flooring come together. There is a seam to the left of the kitchen sink - at the left side of the kitchen sink by the bank of drawers - that is getting increasingly soft. I can see a line coming in the cushion floor (linoleum). The floor sinks noticeably when one side of the seam is stepped on and a line appears in the linoleum. I am not an engineer, but I don't understand why Jayco would have a floor seam in the place where people consistently stand still - at the kitchen sink. I can notice this in other seams in the trailer as well - in the bathroom, over by door, but it is very noticeable by the kitchen sink. This trailer has been cared for and there are no leaks or water damage. I have spoken to three other x23B owners - ranging from 2005 to 2009 - an all say the floor is somewhat flexible, but nothing like what I am experiencing. We have only taken this on 8 camping trips - what will the floor be like in 5 or 6 years?

I just would like some feedback about the floor in some hybrids and ultra-lites? My trailer has extended warranty until 2017 and is still under Jayco's 2 year warrantly until May 2014. Thanks for any feedback .. much appreciated.
jaycocaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

I would take it to the dealer ASAP....and document your other issues with them as well.

Good Luck!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
I would take it to the dealer ASAP....and document your other issues with them as well.

Good Luck!
X2

I have an Jay Feather Ultra Lite and the floor is solid. Doesn't sound right.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

Thank you for your responses.

I live three hours from the nearest dealer, but I will certainly be contacting Jayco.

I just wanted some feedback from other owners.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

I just took mine if Friday for the same reason. It started small, but started to grow. I have an X19, and it started at the cabinet by the stove and went toward the bathroom.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Your problem doesn't sound like my problem but I started noticing my OFF-ROAD POPUP floor seemed like was being soft where you first hit the floor coming thru the main door. I suspected this might be a rain area underneath the door. Once you notice something then you always start really looking hard at it haha...

I finally got under my trailer and looked over everything and all was ok. It was just a larger section that didn't have as much frame support on the bottom side. I added a full length of 1-1/2 inch angle between two sturdy frame sections and that solved the spongy feeling...

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
X2

I have an Jay Feather Ultra Lite and the floor is solid. Doesn't sound right.

JMHO,
Doug
I agree. I have a 19H that is several years old and my floor is rock solid

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Site Team

This does not sound normal to me, I know its a pain to drag it to the dealer but I think you should have it looked at well before warranty expires.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #9

I felt my floor was soft as well on my 23j. I took it to our local dealer and they said it was normal but if it gets worse at least it has been documented with Jayco.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I felt my floor was soft as well on my 23j. I took it to our local dealer and they said it was normal but if it gets worse at least it has been documented with Jayco.
Good documentation is really important!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies.

Just wanted to have an idea of what others experienced before I call Jayco. For those with a Jay Feather, when you walk on your floor can you tell under your foot where the floor seams are .. where two pieces of the floor come together under the linoleum (cushion floor)? is it noticeable?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #12

I can tell you on our X17Z it was not. That doesn't sound normal to me.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #13

I've got a soft spot right in front of the stove area of my x23b. I plan on bringing it up during the trailers appt next week. The rest seems pretty solid and I just assumed it's my heft + a seam or something. I'll be curious what they say when I bring it in.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

I can't tell where there is a seam.

I just got word back from the dealer that there is a problem with my floor. They are waiting on Jayco to get back with them as to what to do with it. They have not given me all the details yet, but I hope to find out more this week.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycocaper View Post
Hi .. if possible I would appreciate a few opinions concerning the floor in your hybrid or ultra-lite TT.

Last year I bought a brand new 2012 x23B. We didn't get to use it that much last year, but this year we have used it more. We have taken the trailer on about 8 camping trips . .. approximately 30 nights of camping. We have had a few small issues - first outing the arm of sofa fell off it was not screwed into wood .. I fixed this myself, shower head will no long shut off, I have small nail points coming through the walls in some of the washroom including in the shower and this is also noticeable on the outside wall of my pantry, toilet paper holder has come off twice now and appears to be screwed into only paneling, furnace stopped working . it appeared to be a loose connection in thermostat . I tightened a screw in thermostat and all appears well since.

I have some real concerns about the floor in this trailer. I realize the trailer is an ultra-lite and the floor is somewhat flexible due to its light-weight construction. However, the floor is increasingly getting more soft along the floor seams - where two pieces of flooring come together. There is a seam to the left of the kitchen sink - at the left side of the kitchen sink by the bank of drawers - that is getting increasingly soft. I can see a line coming in the cushion floor (linoleum). The floor sinks noticeably when one side of the seam is stepped on and a line appears in the linoleum. I am not an engineer, but I don't understand why Jayco would have a floor seam in the place where people consistently stand still - at the kitchen sink. I can notice this in other seams in the trailer as well - in the bathroom, over by door, but it is very noticeable by the kitchen sink. This trailer has been cared for and there are no leaks or water damage. I have spoken to three other x23B owners - ranging from 2005 to 2009 - an all say the floor is somewhat flexible, but nothing like what I am experiencing. We have only taken this on 8 camping trips - what will the floor be like in 5 or 6 years?

I just would like some feedback about the floor in some hybrids and ultra-lites? My trailer has extended warranty until 2017 and is still under Jayco's 2 year warrantly until May 2014. Thanks for any feedback .. much appreciated.
Hi all

Our new 2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite 221 has the very same thing going on with the floor, I called Jayco and they said that they have had others with the same problem, they are going to take up the linoleum and overlay the floor with 1/4" plywood and over lap the existing seams, and then put down new linoleum. The said this is what they have been doing and it does a good job.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #16

I sold my popup because parts of the floor were getting soft (with full disclosure of course). I have not had any issues with my Jayco so far.

Once the floor starts going... id be worried!

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #17

We traded in our 2011 19H for this very reason. We noticed the floors were soft in certain areas at the end of our first camping season. Last spring we took it in to be repaired under warranty and it was not able to be fixed at the dealer. The luan/foam/luan sandwich construction was causing it. The top layer of luan was compressing into the foam. It was noticeable when you stepped on it and you could actually see the edge of the luan under the vinyl. It was becoming soft in 3 areas, at the doorway, at the stove/sink area and by the sofa. They were going to send it back to Jayco for the repairs as the entire floor needed to be pulled up and then they were going to put another layer of luan down. Originally it was supposed to be ripped up and seamed in the bathroom door way which was unacceptable to us. It was a brand new trailer and we didn't want a seam in the floor. Also because the floor is done first and everything is laid on top of it there would have to be quarter round installed on all edges of the floor. We ended up trading it in. We felt this was a big thing to go wrong with a new trailer and didn't want to chance it once it was out of warranty.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #18

So I had mine in to take a peek and the service folks said they checked with jayco and the floor flex there is within designed limits.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

I just got word from my dealer today that the sponge is normal. They said there was not rot or damage, so they won't fix it.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #20

Makes me glad I went with Starcraft, they don't use the laminated floors.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote