Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

New Owner. first question

We just bought our first Jayco, a new 2012 X17Z. Still winter here for another 2-3 months so for now it sits beside the garage.

I'm happy so far with the build quality, however I looked under it today and noticed that the black water holding tank straps are not tight up against the tank. It looks like they would stop the tank from falling out if it dropped down but I expected to see them securely holding the tank like straps on a car gas tank.

The trailer has to go back to the dealer in the spring for de-winterization and to be checked over for first service and I can have them checked then. I was just wondering if I was missing something on how the straps were supposed to work. It looks to me like a sloppy installation; there are also wires hanging down quite low (looks like tank sensor wiring) that need to be tied up. I was just surprised to see this as the inside of the trailer looks to be pretty good quality.
Rick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Rick56! Without some pics it would be hard to say, but can you in any way wiggle the tank around or up and down if they are that loose? I would think the wires should not be dangling real low either. I think you have the right idea getting the dealer to address your concerns when you take it in for the other stuff. It may be nothing, but your mind will be eased about it either way. BTW on my black and grey tanks there are no wrap around straps like on a car gas tank either, only metal brackets holding the top lip of the tank to the trailer. The fresh water tank does have long angle iron straps that run under the tank and connect to the trailer on the ends.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

It's not unusual for the straps to be loose until the tank is full. Welcome to the JOF!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56 View Post
We just bought our first Jayco, a new 2012 X17Z. Still winter here for another 2-3 months so for now it sits beside the garage.

I'm happy so far with the build quality, however I looked under it today and noticed that the black water holding tank straps are not tight up against the tank. It looks like they would stop the tank from falling out if it dropped down but I expected to see them securely holding the tank like straps on a car gas tank.

The trailer has to go back to the dealer in the spring for de-winterization and to be checked over for first service and I can have them checked then. I was just wondering if I was missing something on how the straps were supposed to work. It looks to me like a sloppy installation; there are also wires hanging down quite low (looks like tank sensor wiring) that need to be tied up. I was just surprised to see this as the inside of the trailer looks to be pretty good quality.
Those galvanized straps hanging there loose are for assembly of the tank, they hold it up temporarily during assembly. If you crawl under there and look closely you'll see the tank has a flange that is resting on steel supports and the loose straps are not really functional.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #5

tbwill, that is exactly what they look like. I'll talk to the dealer about it in the spring and probably have them removed as they do not look like they really do anything.

Thanks for all the replies! I've been lurking here since the first of the year and this looks like a good place for all things Jayco!

This is my first Jayco. We are upgrading from a Coleman Columbia pup (8' box) so the x17z is like a Cadillac for us. It is just the wife and I (I'm retired) so we should have plenty of room. Can't wait for camping season!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

I just crawled under the trailer again and now I can see that all three tanks sit inside the frame. All three tanks do have the light weight strapping under them, either leftover from manufacturing or maybe as a last ditch effort to keep the tank from falling out if something ever happens (?).

Anyway, I'll ask the dealer about it in the spring. I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions here; I'm the kind of guy who after buying something new starts looking for problems and worrying about nothing in most cases. This is a terrible affliction and I hope most of you do not have it
Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Rick, there are NO stupid questions here. As a matter of fact it was a very good question! After paying good money for your trailer you are well served by being diligent with maintainance and observation.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #8

My 17Z has the same straps. They are loose but I've been told that is intentional to allow for tank expansion when it's full. Yep, the wires are the tank level sensors. I too noticed that the wiring seemed a bit sloppy and a few dangled down, just waiting to get ripped off by a branch or stump. I've crawled around the undercarriage and zip-tied a few wires and rerouted a few that appeared pinched. Easy fixes that come with a new camper. Have had it for 2 years with no disappointments!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

Yes, they are the tank sensor wires. My gray water sensor wiring looks funny though. It looks like all three levels are spliced toether and go to one wire. I would have expected to see each of three sensors to have it's own wire with the lowest 4th sensor being common. I have GOT to stop looking under this thing and wait until spring and my dealer checks it all out :hihi:
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #10

rick56 as tbwill stated those straps don't do anything, all the tanks are flanged and are held up by the steel frame of the tt. Larry
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

Rick welcome and I hope you enjoy your 17Z as much as I enjoy my 2010 17Z. I have some mods posted under the mod section of the forum and pictures posted at webshots. The only stupid questions are the questions not asked! I also moved up to the Z from a Coleman PU. Happy Camping!!!

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #12

We have a 19h and I saw that same thing when I talked to the dealer was told it is suppose to be that way when empty.
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #13

Do the tanks expand as they fill up? I looked but can't see how they can do that. One of the Jayco videos from their site shows the straps being installed, can't remember which one. Guess it's nothing to worry about anyway!