Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

New to all of this...

My wife and I have just started looking at travel trailer's and have decided that we are going the route of a Jayco Hybrid. The two we are trying to decide between are the 17z and the X18d. I am worried about towing. I have a 2010 Honda Pilot 4WD and it would be 4 adults in the car. We would also need to be carrying a generator and a yeti cooler loaded with ice.

Will my TV be able to handle pulling either one of these? I live in an area where there are few flat roads, and going to football games I-81 and I-64 will be up and down with a couple steep climbs.

I am looking at purchasing the WDH (I've read the foums quite a bit) from Harbor Freight and the brake controller will be installed by the dealer.

Thanks for any help.
Uvafan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #2

I think the biggest issue you will have is how much tongue weight you can have with the Pilot. Take a look at the GVWR sticker and see what it is. Then you can weigh your vehicle, add in the weight of all passengers and cargo, and whatever is left over is your max tongue weight. Tongue weight for a trailer should be ~13% of the LOADED weight of the trailer (not the advertised dry/shipping weight). The advertised max tow capacity is 4,500#, and in reality, this is always limited based on one of the other weight factors on your vehicle (likely GVWR in your case). My opinion is you should upgrade your vehicle before buying the hybrid, or get a pop-up.
jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

We have a Pilot with WDH and X18D, there isn't any doubt that by the numbers this is on the limit for the TV.
But it does tow, on the other hand I think we will be shopping for a new TV this fall to make us more comfortable.
robp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Jason is on it. A visit to the scales will give you your axle weights. The difference between the Rear GAW (from the scale) and the Rear GAWR (from the sticker on the driver's door jamb) will tell you how much more weight you can add to the rear which (UMHO) is the critical #. That will be the tongue, hitch and extra gear.
Don't go by the Max Tow weight and by all means don't believe the sales person telling you "no problems, you'll never know it's back there".
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

I can not help to much with the vehicle. I always recommend contacting the manufacture (not the dealer) with your vin number and ask lots of questions, such as tow rating, hitch capacity, if a WDH can be used on a unibody, does the TV have transmission cooler, etc.

Also I strongly recommend getting a GOOD WDH, preferably one with an integrated sway control such as Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer E4. Both good hitches, and will cost a lot more than a cheapie. A good hitch setup will allow for a comfortable driving experience.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

I agree with Rob, who has your same setup. It will be close to the max.

An aside, I would reconsider buying a WDH from Harbor Freight, only because of the quality or cheapness of many of their products. I would not chance the lives of my children when quality WDH is available.

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with the Honda Pilot's tongue capacity. We have a '14 x17z and the TW is 500lbs +\- That's with dual propane tanks, battery, spare tire. We generally pack light.