Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #1

No shower surround in 23B?

We are contemplating buying a 23B and noticed there is no surround in the shower. Has anyone had any problems with this? It seems kind of strange that there isn't one.

2012 Jayco JayFlight 26RLS

Me
Wife
Dogs-Spencer-Brittany, Josie-No idea
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

No shower surround in 23B?

I agree. Not sure why Jayco chooses to put surrounds in some models and not others. We had one added when we ordered our 228. The dealer said he called in some favours from the jayco rep and charged us $300. I know it's not worth that but we wanted a surround and that was the price we paid. I'm glad we did it.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #3

We never had a problem. We wiped shower down with a microfiber cloth after each use. Do that in the regular tub we have now.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #4

I never use the shower in our '06 but I'm STILL glad it has one!!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #5

We don't have one in ours...... but the one thing I'm not sure of is why Jayco went with the shallower tub in the 2013's??

Water gets on the floor when it's used! Others have problems with this too....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

We noticed the same thing in the x23f that we're looking at! Why, why, why? I can't imagine that showering with a wallpaper surround is going to work but you can't adhere a surround to the wallpaper so I guess we'll have to try it...if we can get the dealer to budge on his price a bit. So far still dreaming about camping in a hard side with its own bathroom...sigh....

JammerB
Suamico, WI
JammerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

A good friend of ours works at a Jayco dealership and told me that they have never had one come back with a problem regarding not having a surround. She doesn't understand why they don't have them either. I think we have decided to go with the Starcraft 227cks....which does have a surround. That isn't the only reason for our decision, btw.

2012 Jayco JayFlight 26RLS

Me
Wife
Dogs-Spencer-Brittany, Josie-No idea
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

We have been wondering if it's possible to install a tub surround. We're fine using the campground showers, but were just wondering if it's possible to put one in just in case. Any ideas?
Sanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

What were your other reasons? Doesn't Jayco make the Starcraft models?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerB View Post
We noticed the same thing in the x23f that we're looking at! Why, why, why? I can't imagine that showering with a wallpaper surround is going to work but you can't adhere a surround to the wallpaper so I guess we'll have to try it...if we can get the dealer to budge on his price a bit. So far still dreaming about camping in a hard side with its own bathroom...sigh....
JammerB
Suamico, WI
That wall covering isn't wallpaper, as in a paper product. It's vinyl, so the water shouldn't seep through. I have seen where people talked about putting a plastic wall surround in the shower. I think the easiest thing to do is just wipe down the walls when your done in the shower, and run the exhaust fan.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
That wall covering isn't wallpaper, as in a paper product. It's vinyl, so the water shouldn't seep through. I have seen where people talked about putting a plastic wall surround in the shower. I think the easiest thing to do is just wipe down the walls when your done in the shower, and run the exhaust fan.
This is true. We run the exhaust fan for 20 minutes after using the shower and wipe down the walls and it is dry as a bone.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
I agree. Not sure why Jayco chooses to put surrounds in some models and not others. We had one added when we ordered our 228. The dealer said he called in some favours from the jayco rep and charged us $300. I know it's not worth that but we wanted a surround and that was the price we paid. I'm glad we did it.
any chance you have a pic of that surround? Will be getting an x23f soon (if the wife would just make up her mind already).
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #13

I have a 2013 X17Z with no shower surround. I work for Benjamin Moore Paints and have been batting around the idea of priming the vinyl wallboard with
exterior primer then going over the primer with our satin finish exterior Aura
paint. My thought process on the solution of no shower surround is, if I prime
the factory wallboard with STIX by Insl-X ( STIX is a bonding primer made for PVC, Vinyl, Plastic, Glass, Tile etc. ) Then 2 finish coats of exterior Aura paint tinted to match the shower pan. Aura has excellent durability and is mildew resistant. I would remove and replace all the caulking around the shower with
paintable exterior caulking, then proceed with the painting. I would apply the
primer and paint with a foam mini roller and tape around the edges with frog tape I guess the bottom line is, if paint can hold up on the exterior of a house with sun, rain, sleet and snow it should hold up in an RV shower. Any thoughts or experience with this process let me know.
ProEFX Tow Mirrors
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #14

I recall that the surround is part of an option package. We don't have one and I don't see it as a problem. The water just runs right off. Our old Kiwi had a wet-bath and the same material used for the wall paneling. Never a problem in 10 years of ownership.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #15

Our '05 23B has a shower surround. We bought the camper used so I can't advise if this was placed in there by Jayco or by the first owners.
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #16

My old trailer didn't have a surround - just the vinyl wallboard. Wiped the walls down after most showers, but sometimes not. After 12 years, it still looked brand new.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #17

our x17z does not have surround. we use the shower regularly and have had no problems. When the camper was new we did have an expansion / joint issue where in the back corner of the shower the caulking had seperated. took it back to the dealer and had it repaired. I check there every time we use the shower and have had no issues since it was repaired. love being able to shower without using the campground showers.
ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote