Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Oh the Troubles I've Seen

Sorry in advance, this post might be a little long.

My family and I had been camping for a few years with friends and we had been using another friends P-UP. We decided last spring to purchase our own camper. after going to a show and looking at a lot of brands we decided on a 2015 16XRB. It fit our tow vehicle and we could keep all of our stuff in it. To much stuff in my opinion.

We had been out on about 4 trips 3 somewhat locally and 1 about 5 hours away. On the way home from the 5 hour trip I was hearing a noise. It almost sounded like the chains were hitting the pavement. I got home and looked around, saw nothing. I decided to take the wheel off thinking it might be a stone in the hub cap or something. When I got the wheel off I noticed there was a standard bearing cap on the axle. My unit was supposed to have the easy lube axle. I could not find what was making the noise. I called the dealer and explained to them about the missing grease fittings and also about the noise. They needed pictures to send to Jayco so I took it down to them. They took it apart and took the pictures and while it was apart they found my brakes were "blown apart inside the drums" They fixed me up and sent me on my way in a few days. Three months later and a lot of phone calls to the dealer Jayco had finally shipped the correct axle. I made an appointment for a month and a half later so we could take our final trip.

I took the unit down to have the axel replaced and winterized. While I was there I had pointed out a few concerns. The front bunk door seemed to have bubbles on the outside in the lower left and right hand corners. it almost looked like a sticker was not put on properly. I had also noticed from another thread (http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ild-30948.html) the frame of the front bunk looked like it was sagging from the inside. It had a large gap between the frame and the hole in the camper.

This brings us to today. I received a phone call from the dealer and they told me the axle had been replaced, it was winterized. All good right. She then proceeded to tell me "you know the bubbled area you saw in the front of the camper, we are going to have to replace the whole front portion of the unit". This is not just the front bunk this is the whole front of the camper. I am still in shock and I am not sure what to do or ask. I just said okay and left it at that.

I have a ton of questions now I have had time to think about the size of the job. Has anybody else here ever had to have this done? This is about a quarter of the camper they are replacing. It is like removing a complete wall from a home and replacing it. Is it ever really the same after that?

Still in total shock

Thanks for listening
5fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Welcome!

What a bummer. Yes I have heard of others having this problem, with Jayco and other brands. The good part is they are taking good care of you and getting it fixed.

I am not impressed with Dexter Axle's brakes. The X20E is our second hybrid, the first being an '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a. Both had brake parts fall off inside and could have destroyed the assemblies and drums. I caught it early both times and fixed it myself. On my X20E it took me several times over the first summer to get the brakes all adjusted properly too. One brake would consistently lock up. Everything has been fine ever since.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Sorry. The high point is it looks like your dealer and Jayco are stepping up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #4

I bought a 2015 x23b last spring and I noticed same bubble issue on the whole front of our camper also first time out. Dealer looked at it and said that our whole front had to be replaced also. I camped all summer and now its going in for repair next month. Also the molding around the door has totally come out. They are going to have it at the least 2 weeks that's why I waited until winter, there was no way they were taking my camper for that long after paying all that money! Apparently the vaacum seal doesn't always "seal" and it's common. All I care is that it's covered under warranty and ready to go for spring
#campingamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

"after going to a show and looking at a lot of brands we decided on a 2015 16XRB."

Unfortunately, that is probably the worst way to make your choice...this is a very troublesome challenging industry. Yes, there is a better way to go about things...actually a whole series of things you need to do next time around.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fold View Post

This brings us to today. I received a phone call from the dealer and they told me the axle had been replaced, it was winterized. All good right. She then proceeded to tell me "you know the bubbled area you saw in the front of the camper, we are going to have to replace the whole front portion of the unit". This is not just the front bunk this is the whole front of the camper. I am still in shock and I am not sure what to do or ask. I just said okay and left it at that.

Thanks for listening
The only thing I would make sure of is that one gets a commitment for how long it was going to take. Two weeks would be my goal. If you do not give them a dead line, they may drag their feet.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

A one and done post, mostly to vent it appears. It'd be interesting to find out how the repairs went, but I'd doubt the OP is coming back.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
A one and done post, mostly to vent it appears. It'd be interesting to find out how the repairs went, but I'd doubt the OP is coming back.
No, not one and done. I just received a call yesterday from the dealer. They said they completed the installation of the front of the unit and they just needed to take care of the front bunk. Even though it is 25 degrees out this morning I am excited to get it back. We will not be camping until around April so I was not in a rush. I would rather have them take their time with it so it is done correctly.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
"after going to a show and looking at a lot of brands we decided on a 2015 16XRB."

Unfortunately, that is probably the worst way to make your choice...this is a very troublesome challenging industry. Yes, there is a better way to go about things...actually a whole series of things you need to do next time around.
Trust me there was a lot of research done before making our final decision. Jayco was one of the brands that was at the top of our list. Sometimes I feel it is just the luck of the draw. I know people that have never had any issues with their campers and there are people with bigger issues than mine.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
No, not one and done. I just received a call yesterday from the dealer. They said they completed the installation of the front of the unit and they just needed to take care of the front bunk. Even though it is 25 degrees out this morning I am excited to get it back. We will not be camping until around April so I was not in a rush. I would rather have them take their time with it so it is done correctly.
Thanks! You only made the one post and didn't acknowledge anyone's comments so it appeared you weren't coming back. Glad it's working out.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
I think that dealer is a keeper. That is how everyone wishes it was handled.

April will be here before you know it.

Cheers.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #12

I was a bit dissapointed when my trailer (at the time was 6 months old) had to have the entire roof replaced due to a few broken rafters. It took over a month to get the new rafters as well as the approval from Jayco, but so far so good. My trailer is 3 months shy of 2 years old now and is in the shop again. I have had it in the shop for a bunch of minor stuff over the last couple of years, but nothing has never not been covered - including a blown tire and damage to the trailer. I am really glad Jayco has the 2 year warranty. I have used it a ton - more than I thought I would.

Note: when I call to schedule, the service people know my name before I tell them. That can be good and bad.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

Between the holidays and nothing to really report I thought I would wait until I get the camper back to update the thread.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I think that dealer is a keeper. That is how everyone wishes it was handled.

April will be here before you know it.

Cheers.
It is funny you say that. When I was having the problem with the wrong axle installed it seemed the communication from the dealer was lacking and it seemed to me like they really just didn't want to deal with it. Then when it came to the front end it was a totally different experience, more along the lines of the way I think everything should be handled.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
A little of topic, sorry

Doc maybe you could PM me the answer.

I'm curious to know how you adjusted your breaks to get them all applying equally? Is there a trick?

I know how to adjust them individually with the brake tool, but I do have one wheel that locks up on occasion.

Did you just adjust each one until you didn't lock up and didn't feel a pull to one side?

Thanks
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #16

A quick update: I got the camper back yesterday. It looks as good as new. It looks like they really did a great job on everything. At this point only time will tell. The service manager said it was water leaking in on the side molding that caused the bubbles. Thanks for everybody that responded to the thread.

Happy Camping