Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Open ground

This post is to just vent a little bit about my brand new Jayco X23B. I found that my battery was dying after 6 hours of being unplugged from shore power. I did some tests by shutting off breakers, which didn't help. I got my hands on a spare battery to make sure my battery was good, then a multimeter (and friend who knows how to use it). Anyways it turned out to be a bad ground coming off the battery. After grinding away the paint and reattaching, that issue went away. I also found that the 3 positive wires that were on a very large wire nut and wrapped with electrical tape (nice solid professional work) were corroding badly. There was no issue yet, but after seeing that I wanted to tidy up. So I ended up spending $10 for a large butt-connector and for added security 3/8" x 3" shrink wrap tube.

It's just frustrating to me after spending many thousands of dollars that I have to redo any factory electric after 4 weeks of ownership.
cgmoses74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

I got lucky on no serious electrical issues. But, the fridge's propane sub-system needed a field repair on our first real outing. Plus a drawer that has yet to be dealt with...

Quite the can-of-worms you've started here.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Our TT had the "Break-Away" switch wire in a compressed connector to the brakes and when I opened the 4x4 electrical box on the frame and pushed the wires to the side the break-away wire just fell out. The 12VDC "Accessory" receptacle wiring in the TT was reversed and the batteries frame ground connection was loose. Two of the low point drains did not close completely, the front cap gel-coat had to be removed and then painted...... But I have to admit, JAYCO never gave me a hard time on any of them... oh and a slide-out side window had to be replaced.

Welcome to the club

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #4

I'll be working on my trailer's wiring up front this weekend. They do realize these things basically live OUTSIDE right? Is the cost differential on a waterproof wire nut or butt connector really that big?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

The best line I ever heard was at the Sand Show at Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. A family was checking out a toyhauler and the husband had pointed out a couple of short comings with the trailer. Basically petty little maintenance issues like you have encountered. The response from the salesman, and I quote:

"They're all ====, we just sell the best ===="

I personally heard the sales person say this, and will never forget it. I was cracking up that he actually said this, and said it to the guys face.

Reality is, unless your dropping big money, he's right. I think expectations are a little high for a 20K trailer that bounces itself down the freeway, and lives outside. It pays to be handy if your going to own an RV, or most any other toy/luxury item.
OC Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #6

Yeah, I was really happy with my Jayco for awhile, and I still mostly am. But there is a lot of little stuff that bugs me, missed attention to detail. This was my first TT so I'm not sure if they are all like this or this is a Jayco quality issue. My floor is spongy, caulking jobs internally are so/so, the slide out motor broke my first week of ownership, the power converter box makes a high pitch hum when its just charging the battery (no other power on), the entertainment systen (Jensen) decides to work some days and not others, I have to cycle the fridge to gas a couple times to get the thing to light, and there's probably a few more I missed. Granted mine was a 2013 and I bought it used but it just seems like the quality isn't there. But maybe that's just they way they build them. Time will tell. I will for sure check out other manufacturers when I buy my next one.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

That is funny! My dealer had some similar comments to the manufacturers, but not so blunt.

I am not really sure if dropping big money makes a difference. My wife's aunt and uncle spent $240k on a brand new 2013 Class A pusher and had a list of 43 things after 2 months of being on the road. The worst one on the list that I heard was of a massive water leak from the top of the windshield. Maybe $240k isn't "big money" though! LOL
cgmoses74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

240k is big money for sure. I guess my point was quality is expected/presumed to be higher on a high end RV. Though that holds true with almost anything you buy.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

The really expensive RVs are built no better than the cheep ones.

I bought the smallest hard sided TT Jayco makes. Yet, I've got the same cabinets, range, sink, tanks, water pump, microwave, radio, etc. as a 5'r for 10x what I paid.

The only thing the extra money buys is features and conveniences.

I've been fixing cars for 40 years. Cadillacs and Lincolns are built no better than Chevrolets and Fords. Just more electronics to go wrong and less room to work in the engine compartment.

And proud of it!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #10

I was thinking more like a Prevost. And American cars are the same, but most would agree a Mercedes s500 is expected/presumed to be a higher quality than any caddy/Lincoln.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dan View Post
I was thinking more like a Prevost. And American cars are the same, but most would agree a Mercedes s500 is expected/presumed to be a higher quality than any caddy/Lincoln.
Yes, Mercedes is a better built brand than anything built in North America. But, for build quality and attention to details, look at Toyota and Honda.

My point, however, is that within a brand: Jayco, GM, FoMoCo. Airstream, Winnebago, Mattel, Levi Strauss, McDonalds, etc.; The quality of the production process is virtually the same. They start with the same ingredients/feedstock/parts and use the same workers using the same machinery to produce "variations on a theme".

And proud of it!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dan View Post
The best line I ever heard was at the Sand Show at Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. A family was checking out a toyhauler and the husband had pointed out a couple of short comings with the trailer. Basically petty little maintenance issues like you have encountered. The response from the salesman, and I quote:

"They're all ====, we just sell the best ===="

I personally heard the sales person say this, and will never forget it. I was cracking up that he actually said this, and said it to the guys face.

Reality is, unless your dropping big money, he's right. I think expectations are a little high for a 20K trailer that bounces itself down the freeway, and lives outside. It pays to be handy if your going to own an RV, or most any other toy/luxury item.
20K is still a lot of money and doesn't relieve the manufacture from doing quality work. A ground connection not made properly is not caused by the RV bouncing down the road, is is poor workmanship period.

As long as people think like this the manufactures will never change.
DHH57 is offline   Reply With Quote