Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Opinion request: Will I have frozen pipes?

I just took our HTT out for the first time in 2017 this past weekend. While at the campground, I de-winterized, hoping to not have to winterize again until the fall. I'm looking at the forecast for this week, and they're calling for it to get down to 25-degrees on Wednesday night and 31-degrees on Thursday night. I'm not concerned about Thursday, but is that Wednesday temperature low enough that I should re-winterize? My first inclination is to not risk it. I have antifreeze in the garage and can use it. But, I'm starting to wonder if it's unnecessary for one night. I don't have a way to blow out the lines, but do you think if I ran the faucets dry it would be okay? The daytime temperatures this week won't be lower than around 50.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with your trailer. Do you have an enclosed underbelly? If so, you could consider running the furnace if/when the temp goes below freezing for the night.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Probably should have mentioned -- I have an x17z with no enclosed underbelly.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

RV Antifreeze is cheaper than trying to find a leak.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
rv antifreeze is cheaper than trying to find a leak.
^^^^^
x2
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #6

Okay ... you're probably right. That's what I was thinking ... that it wasn't worth the risk. I was just hoping a bunch of people would rise up and tell me I'd be fine. It's not so much that I mind the 20 minutes it takes me to winterize, it's that I'm going to want to do a driveway-based de-winterizing before taking the camper out again next month.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

its really not a big deal. Goes faster each time you winterize and de winterize. I agree its not fair that spring came a little bit and left quick.. going down to 0 tonight.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

I went ahead and did it. I may not have been as thorough with it as previous times, but I figure for one cold night it's plenty. The part that's a hassle is that I'm camping next month at a state park which won't have a full hookup, and the process of de-winterizing puts a number of gallons of liquid into the grey water tanks. I'll probably de-winterize in the driveway before going.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #9

If it was my htt, I would drain the low points, then connect the air compressor and blow out the remaining water.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #10

I agree with those who recommend winterizing again. It's cheap insurance. Don't forget to drain the water heater as well.
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If it was my htt, I would drain the low points, then connect the air compressor and blow out the remaining water.
Good plan, if you happen to have an air compressor.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
I went ahead and did it. I may not have been as thorough with it as previous times, but I figure for one cold night it's plenty. The part that's a hassle is that I'm camping next month at a state park which won't have a full hookup, and the process of de-winterizing puts a number of gallons of liquid into the grey water tanks. I'll probably de-winterize in the driveway before going.
Psst, don't tell anybody, but when dewinterizing, I just let the grey tank drain onto the driveway. Not the black, just the grey! The AF is non-toxic and nothing from my HTT's kitchen sink is going to harm my lawn. My house, my rules...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Psst, don't tell anybody, but when dewinterizing, I just let the grey tank drain onto the driveway. Not the black, just the grey! The AF is non-toxic and nothing from my HTT's kitchen sink is going to harm my lawn. My house, my rules...
I picked up one of those orange buckets at home depot and I dump both my grey and black into that when de-winterizing, I dump that bucket down the toilet in my house. There's nothing nasty in either tank as I completely flush and dump at the end of the season.

I have dumped my grey water in the gutter before, but my neighbors don't get it and I don't want to have to explain it to them again.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #14

The people who will tell you that you will be fine don't have to fix it if they are wrong.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #15

This time of year is such a crapshoot for a lot of us.

Do whatever makes you sleep well at night and check the weather forecast daily if you decide to keep it unwinterized (as I am). An air compressor is a good investment for sure as being able to just blow out the lines, and dump a few cups of antifreeze into the drain traps, really only takes about 10 minutes. I've found that my low point drains actually drain my hot water heater too, so unless I'm parking the camper for the whole winter, I don't even worry about bypassing it this time of year.

I think it's wise to factor in a certain margin of error with respect to any forecast temps. What if it ends up being 4 degrees colder than forecast, and it lasts for an hour longer?

In this part of the country anyway, the 'weatherman' is right on target about 40% of the time.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I picked up one of those orange buckets at home depot and I dump both my grey and black into that when de-winterizing, I dump that bucket down the toilet in my house. There's nothing nasty in either tank as I completely flush and dump at the end of the season.

I have dumped my grey water in the gutter before, but my neighbors don't get it and I don't want to have to explain it to them again.
That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I've been meaning to get one of those buckets and now I have an excuse for it. I probably won't bother dumping the black tank, though. There's not much down there, and when I de-winterize, I don't bother with the toilet. It de-winterizes itself as we use it at the campground.

I thought about dumping the antifreeze from the grey water tank in the driveway, since we all know it won't cause any problems. But, my neighbor's dog is on a lead that runs right up to my driveway, even though I've asked the neighbor a half dozen times to shorten it up and keep the dog out of my yard. I'm sure if I dumped anything pink in my driveway, I'd hear it from him. Dumping it in the toilet inside the house is a better answer that won't tick anyone off.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:

I use a bucket under the low point drain to grab most of the AF without sending it into the tanks; and that I flush down the toilet in the house - probably gets 80%. But my tank discharge is only a few inches from the ground, making a bucket there impractical. I guess it depends a bit on slope of your drive and closeness of the neighbors when dumping your grey tank to ground as well. I also sanitise the fresh tank when I dewinterize, so I am dumping quite a lot of water.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #18

When "driveway de-winterizing" do you folks just hook any old hose to the camper for water, since you're just going to drain the water out anyhow? Our green garden hose is within reach, but it's a pain in the rear to disconnect and I'm not sure my potable water hose would make it to where the camper is parked.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
When "driveway de-winterizing" do you folks just hook any old hose to the camper for water, since you're just going to drain the water out anyhow? Our green garden hose is within reach, but it's a pain in the rear to disconnect and I'm not sure my potable water hose would make it to where the camper is parked.
I use my normal 'white' RV hose. I have 2 of them, and I need both to reach the spigot outside.

I wouldn't have a problem using my normal garden hose though if I had a reason to go that route.. all getting drained anyway right?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
I use my normal 'white' RV hose. I have 2 of them, and I need both to reach the spigot outside.

I wouldn't have a problem using my normal garden hose though if I had a reason to go that route.. all getting drained anyway right?
X2,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote