Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Outdoor LED lighting

On my new X23B I found that I have one switch that powers my awning LED light strip as well as the orange covered light behind the steps. I'd like to put these lights on two separate switches. Has anyone attempted this? Thanks!
cgmoses74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

Same thing one the 23f I'm looking at the same thing but have not seen a mod. I'm thinking of adding a switch for the amber stair light off another 12v source and leave the led awing light as is. Anyone else tried anything.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

I was in the same boat with my TT.

I put one of these dimmers in the track, right in front of the LED light strip. To waterproof the dimmer, I just filled the ends up with some automotive sealant, and then put some larger heatshrink tubing over the connection between the dimmer and LED strip, and smaller heatshrink over the solder connections on the right side. To make room for the dimmer, I needed to trim/shorten the cover strip a little. With the way I cut it, it holds down the front of the dimmer so the whole thing is sitting securely wedged in the track. It's survived some pretty good rain, a week at the beach and about 500 miles of highway driving so far. The remote lives attached to the door of the control panel with velcro.

These dimmers won't work at the switch end of the circuit because it requires a dedicated ground, and the awning/porch light control has a shared ground. The dimmer works using PWM (pulse width modulation), basically by turning on/off the negative/ground line very rapidly - more off than on for dim, more on than off for bright. With the shared ground in the mix, you need to get it on the LED side of the connection where the grounds meet up. In my case, the ground for the LED strip meets up with the awning control where they come through the sidewall, which is about 16" to the right of where the dimmer is. That's why I chose to place it where I did.

When we set up camp, the switch awning/step light switch goes on and says on. If we need the awning LEDs, the remote turns them on/off. The dimmer also remembers what the last setting was. On its dimmest setting, it provides something similar to medium to full moonlight. If I ever find myself in a position where I want to annoy the neighbors or I'm hosting a rave , I have all of the various flashing settings to use at full power.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #4

Is it as easy as cutting the red and black wires and inserting this between and connect the red to red on each end and black to black?
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Just a thought, but why not pull the switch from inside the trailer, disconnect which ever one you prefer from that switch, and then just install a second indoor switch? I would think this would be the cleanest option, and fairly easy to do depending on the switch location.
OC Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGeek View Post
I was in the same boat with my TT.

I put one of these dimmers in the track, right in front of the LED light strip. To waterproof the dimmer, I just filled the ends up with some automotive sealant, and then put some larger heatshrink tubing over the connection between the dimmer and LED strip, and smaller heatshrink over the solder connections on the right side. To make room for the dimmer, I needed to trim/shorten the cover strip a little. With the way I cut it, it holds down the front of the dimmer so the whole thing is sitting securely wedged in the track. It's survived some pretty good rain, a week at the beach and about 500 miles of highway driving so far. The remote lives attached to the door of the control panel with velcro.

These dimmers won't work at the switch end of the circuit because it requires a dedicated ground, and the awning/porch light control has a shared ground. The dimmer works using PWM (pulse width modulation), basically by turning on/off the negative/ground line very rapidly - more off than on for dim, more on than off for bright. With the shared ground in the mix, you need to get it on the LED side of the connection where the grounds meet up. In my case, the ground for the LED strip meets up with the awning control where they come through the sidewall, which is about 16" to the right of where the dimmer is. That's why I chose to place it where I did.

When we set up camp, the switch awning/step light switch goes on and says on. If we need the awning LEDs, the remote turns them on/off. The dimmer also remembers what the last setting was. On its dimmest setting, it provides something similar to medium to full moonlight. If I ever find myself in a position where I want to annoy the neighbors or I'm hosting a rave , I have all of the various flashing settings to use at full power.

I did this same mod on my trailer recently, and I love it. Though mine isn't quite as clean as Dusty's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosmoses33 View Post
Is it as easy as cutting the red and black wires and inserting this between and connect the red to red on each end and black to black?
Yup, it's that easy. Just make sure you have the dimmer module faced the right way. It is specific to which end connects to the light and which end connects to the 12V source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dan View Post
Just a thought, but why not pull the switch from inside the trailer, disconnect which ever one you prefer from that switch, and then just install a second indoor switch? I would think this would be the cleanest option, and fairly easy to do depending on the switch location.
The dimmer module Dusty and I installed is actually FAR easier than fishing through the mess of wires, and then having to route another set of wires up to a switch in the box. In my case, that would be a monster project. Clipping 4 wires and putting this little module in line was WAY easier, albeit maybe not QUITE as clean, but still not bad at all. AND you get the added benefit of being able to dim that ridiculously bright awning light.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #7

My awning light wire runs down the awning support then enters the trailer at the bottom. It has a guard/cover towards the bottom. Couldn't I splice it there? Then not have to worry about the track and being super neat?

Was gonna post pic but I guess it has to have a webpage host it.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

That sounds like it would work as long as the wires go straight to the LED strip and aren't joined to any other wires.

The only other gotcha is making sure not to wire it backwards (direction or polarity). The label on the dimmer module is pretty clear about which end connects to the LED strip and the +/-, so that's actually somewhat hard to mess up as long as you're paying attention.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

See if this pic works.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosmoses33 View Post
See if this pic works.
I'm gonna say that if those red and black go to your awning light, you're good to go, and you got it easy. Look at it this way, if you mess something up, you can always just butt splice it back the way it was, but it's really easy.

On mine, I didn't have very much exposed wire to work with, and it was way up at the top of the awning where it connects to the side of the trailer. So once I got the dimmer module spliced in, I had a bit of a "wad" that I needed to tuck away somehow. My solution was to cut a small hole in the track that the LED strip rides in and zip-tie the whole mess up in there. Not nearly as elegant an install as Dusty... But it works, and that's what's important.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #11

Good deal, thanks for the responses. Part should be here tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #12

I got mine installed yesterday BUT
I tested it out by just twisting the connections together and it worked great. I installed the butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. I put one big heatshrink over the dimmer unit itself as well and now it doesn't work. The light comes on at the dimmed level I left it but the remote won't change anything. I outsmarted myself I guess. I'm thinking the mini torch used to "melt" the heatskrink must've melted something in the dimmer unit itself. I ordered another and will put it in Friday and sill just put some caulk on it to waterproof.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

I guess it just got wet. It rained during my install. It works today. Going to caulk it good now.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #14

Thanks for the tip! I order the controller and traced the wires to a panel I removed in the left cabinet, there I found the power wires for the awning and the LED lights. So now I can turn the factor switch on and via the remote turn the LEDs on/off or now dim! This was very simple and the controller is inside and the remote still works 25'+ from the camper.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #15

Neat job. Mine are factory and work fine, just no dimmer available. Now I know where to begin looking if I want to make any changes. Isn't this forum just great?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #16

That is freaking awesome guys!! DustyGeek, I owe you a 12 pack for this gem! The benefit of being able to dim the awning light and basically separate the step light is just great, because that light can be overwhelming...especially being it can ruin a good campfire with its light. I was going to add a separate step light so I could leave that on all night, but it doesn't look like that's necessary now. Plus much cheaper, so cheap I may order two of these so I have a backup remote. Thanks again and yes these forums are great!

Upgraded from REI Half Dome, The North Face Trailhead 8, Coleman Mesa popup.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugi View Post
Thanks for the tip! I order the controller and traced the wires to a panel I removed in the left cabinet, there I found the power wires for the awning and the LED lights. So now I can turn the factor switch on and via the remote turn the LEDs on/off or now dim! This was very simple and the controller is inside and the remote still works 25'+ from the camper.

25'?! Holy max distance Batman! Mine only works to about 10' (maybe?) if I'm pointing right at it, and mine is on the OUTSIDE of the tin box! Maybe I need to order another one to get another remote?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #18

I used it this weekend and it work sometimes at the 25' found that the remote at the camp ground was less accurate then when I was testing it. But I found range 15-25' the only disadvantage I found was as I understand it this unit turns the ground on/off to achieve the "dimming" which is great but when testing I found that the built in IRV DVDs player screen flickers on the tv when I'm dimming the outside light strip. Not a big deal since those lights would hardly be dimmed if we left the kids watch a movie. If the led strip is at full or off with that controller the tv/DVD is fine. At any dim setting the screen flickers. I May look into it more but for now it is acceptable and not being blinded while enjoying the camp fire is awesome. Next project is LEDs in the pantry and the outdoor storage compartments.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #19

mlugi - The TV screen flickers constantly or just when you are pushing the button on the remote to dim the LED light strip? Thanks

Upgraded from REI Half Dome, The North Face Trailhead 8, Coleman Mesa popup.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoses74 View Post
mlugi - The TV screen flickers constantly or just when you are pushing the button on the remote to dim the LED light strip? Thanks
Only when you used the remote to dim the lights ( any dim setting - there is a different flicker rate) full on or full off the tv is screen is fine. I've only tested this on the dvd screen not on an TV channel either but again we don't use it that much just a back up if the weather is bad and the small kids need a distraction for the storms.

Tags
outdoor step light, step light