Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Cool Outdoor Speakers

Hey folks, we purchased a 2011 X17Z last year and I was wondering has anyone installed or had installed outdoor speakers? I noticed our Jensen stereo has speakers A and B but it only looks like A is hooked up to the two speakers in the ceiling inside the trailer. Is there a way to hook up some outdoor speakers to the B outlet? We like to plug in our ipod and it is a pain to have to take another stereo for outside.

We don't need anything booming just some quite tunes for relaxing with a book and a drink.

Also what about wireless speakers, I would think the install would be easier but what about quality? I am thinking I can put the wireless unit above the head unit in the cupboard and then just put the speakers outside somewhere when we want to listen.

Thoughts?
rip-cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #2

our came with the outdoor speakers and they work great. Awesome feature. However I am not sure how you would install them.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

My outside speakers are installed here...
I can fade to the inside speakers with the jensen AM/FM radio or have both sets of stereo speakers going at same time...

They sound great and look great.....
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #4

I am picking up our 2012 X17a tomorrow and was actually wondering the same 2 things. Granted I could run speaker wire, but before doing all that I just may try the wireless option first. I want them basically for the same reason, some music on while sitting around relaxing, nothing too loud. And if I could hook up my droid, it would save me from making cds. Who does that anymore?
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

I have seen stereo speakers mounted to the pass-thru storage door of the TT trailers... I guess it is pretty easy routing cables to this area... My speakers have the plastic cones on them "Marine quality" don't remember the part number but just search for outside speakers. Mine are only 4-inches in diameter.

I ran both wires to the speakers... Probably not a good idea to depend on frame ground with speakers...

Thought about the wireless ones too at one time.

Was looking at them on display at Walmart just the other day... I guess those would work ok...

My pride and joy back up is a outstanding AM/FM radio made by CRANE. Mine is called CC RADIO PLUS and runs on DC batteries or 120VAC plug... Is multi-band and has AM/FM/TV AUDIO/NOAH WX BAND. of course the TV audio went away when the Natl Broadcast changed to digital TV... This is by far the best sounding portable radio I have ever owned. It is expensive however... Comes with nice carrying case...

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

That looks good but I am a little worried about cutting a hole in the side of the trailer. Also how would I route the wires down to the floor? The head unit is up in the cupboard and I don't think I will be able to route the wires down through the wall.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #7

That is why I was saying I have seen some mounted in the door of the storage area. Ill look around google images and see if I can find a photo where someone has done this...

these trailer walls however are not very thick and you can come up with several ideas to either mount speakers or at least add outside speaker jacks in a flip box like the cable TV is using to gain entrance. Then you could just plug in a set of speakers and hang them on a screw head close by...

My speakers on my OFF-ROAD POPUP are water tight. I see see the back side inside a cabinet on the inside of the trailer. Have never seen any water come thru it...

Mounting cables is a trick sometimes but usually you can get to where you want to go and still be inside a cabinet somewhere.

If you have to go outside the cabinet along the walls there is WIREMOLD cable management strips from LOWES that can be painted to fit your decor and are excellent for using for RG cables, extension cords, video cables etc from point A to point B... looks something like this...
LOWES has a package of 12-feet of WiREMOLD with a bunch of corners and like items CORDMATE II C210

I always enclose my interior wiring in something like half-split plastic conduit or whatever. I also love to use PVC electrical boxes when i have to through a wall or cabinet side etc... Always looks professional instead of just poking a hole through the walls... many places to hide your wires and still looks good - My wife is an excellent inspector for my projects...

Type in "RV OUTSIDE SPEAKERS" into google search and when it loads up select IMAGES from the left side to find many many pages of RV speaker photos and links... Might find something there to catch your eye. there was several images of an outside speaker box you could mount to the side of the trailer and just run a small cable through the wall and not have to cut a large hole in the trailer side.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-cord View Post
Is there a way to hook up some outdoor speakers to the B outlet? We like to plug in our ipod and it is a pain to have to take another stereo for outside.
Yes you can add a second set of speakers. If you unscrew your radio and pull it out of place, there is a "rats nest" of wires behind it. Get your stereo book and find the wiring diagram and you will find the connection to wire a second set of speakers to the "B" setting. I have not done this mod yet, but it is on my list.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #9

You can do it. When you’re out camping look for similar trailers with outside speakers and talk with the owners. I am sure one of them will let you look in their cabinets to see how they are mounted. On my 23B you can look in the lower cabinets and see where they cut big round holes to mount the speakers. You can even see the light of day through these holes.

As for routing the wires, take a little time and look for signs on where your wires run. For example the kitchen light wires run under a false floor in the kitchen cabinet. In our pantry there is a false back wall held in by a few screws. Next to the pantry is the wardrobe, there is a false wall section between the floor and the lower fixed shelf.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #10

Here's my solution. I plug my iPod into this fm transmitter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000E6I1N

I then turn the TT radio to the correct fm frequency put out by the transmitter. I then turn a battery powered boom box outside to the same station. That gives you the same music playing inside and outside. The transmitter goes pretty far, I'd say about 50' before it starts dropping off. The transmitter runs on AC or dc so it will work even when you don't have power.

It's a much safer option then putting holes in your TT. The only thing you have to do is open the transmitter and turn a little screw to increase the range of the broadcast. It takes 2 minutes to do and is necessary to really get the unit working good.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

I just had an idea, what about running a set of speaker wire down and around to under the couch into the storage area/boot. I could attach a speaker plug somewhere in there and just plug-in the outdoor speakers when I want. The downside is I would have to leave the door slightly ajar to run the wires out. That way I don't have to drill holes in the trailer or the frame. I could just put the speakers back in the boot when I am done.

Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

That will work. You could also run the wires out through the bunkend near the hinge. Also you should be able to shut the door on speaker wires.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #13

I use a Rocketfish wireless speaker; sounds great and has very good range. I can hook it up to the camper radio, ipod, ipad, my android phone, just about anything that plays/streams music and I can put the speaker right where I want it on the campsite and it's weather-resistant.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...&skuId=9426089
Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-cord View Post
I just had an idea, what about running a set of speaker wire down and around to under the couch into the storage area/boot. I could attach a speaker plug somewhere in there and just plug-in the outdoor speakers when I want. The downside is I would have to leave the door slightly ajar to run the wires out. That way I don't have to drill holes in the trailer or the frame. I could just put the speakers back in the boot when I am done.

Thoughts?
That's an option but then you probably have to drill holes in the radio cabinet and then you'll have wire running along the inside of the trailer.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote