Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #1

Plumbing questions on 2015 X23B

We are new TT owners. The 2015 X23B we bought was from an individual, so we didn't get the "new owner tour" like we would have gotten from a dealer. All of the original documentation came with the unit, but I find the owner's manual (Jayco 2015 Jay Feather Towables) to be a bit lacking in specifics. I read some older posts, but haven't found answers yet.

The most basic question: Where is the water heater? In order to put it in service, I have to find the three valves (inlet, outlet, and bypass), but so far I haven't found them.

Second question: The previous owner stated that he had the trailer winterized, so I need to de-winterize it. I found the water pump, with its inlet valve closed, and a clear tygon hose (open at the end) with its valve open. There must be more valving needed, but even after going underneath with a "creeper" I didn't find what I was looking for. (For our maiden voyage, we are planning a trip to a campground with water and electric, so we will be using city water and don't plan to add water to the fresh water tank.)

Helpful hints will be much appreciated.
cwilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

I don't have a unit like yours, but all propane devices, water heater, refrigerator, stove, will have exhaust vent to the outside. Look for a latched door about 15' x 15".
To dewinterize, you basically need to divert the pump input from that short section of hose (used to stick into rv antifreeze jug) to draw from fresh water tank. The valves to the water heater should be in the diverted position to isolate the tank from getting the antifreeze. Leave it like that until you've flushed the plumbing system with fresh water. Most will also sterilize the entire system by mixing up a combo of bleach and water and letting it sit in tank and pipes for a few hours, then drain and refill and flush with fresh water. If you detect residual bleach, do the flush another time with a vinegar and water mix. You may find ratios in your manual for these flushes, if not just ask here.
Remember to put the water heater valves into an undiverted position before use, making sure its full of water before turning on heat.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

"The most basic question: Where is the water heater? In order to put it in service, I have to find the three valves (inlet, outlet, and bypass), but so far I haven't found them."

Once you find the water heater on the outside, you will need to go to other side of HW heater on inside of trailer. Valving to bypass ect. will be located on the inside of the TT usually. It may be hidden behind a panel with 4 screws to remove.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Looking at pictures of your trailer the HWT is on the street side so its probably under one of the dinette seats for access. To get water flowing you need to close the valve on the short hose and open the hose to the water tank, then you can flush the lines and runs some bleach to sanitize. Here is a picture of the rear side of a typical HWT, leave the valves in the bypass position until you have flushed the antifreeze and then bleach, then switch over when full of clean water.
Attached Thumbnails
water.gif  
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Yes, I found the water heater controls, burner, and exhaust. The water heater must be in the enclosure below one end of the front dinette seating. There is no access door that I can find. All of the tubing must run back to the water pump area (under the refrigerator, which is about 8 feet back). I followed the tubing from the water pump with my hand, as far as I could, but still could not locate any kind of valves associated with the water heater.

So it seems like I have to remove the 2' x 2' cover (that serves as the seat for the dinette). I was expecting this to be more accessible, but I guess they have to cram a lot of stuff into the trailer wherever they can.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #6

Take the cushions off and you should be able to remove a piece of plywood over the HWT to gain access, sometimes they are screwed down mine just sits on top.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

OK, so yes, the water heater and valves are under the dinette seat. The water heater is bypassed. Note that the city water connection is just to the side of the water heater and it tees into tubing that goes to the plumbing system in one direction, and to the water heater in the other.

If we are camping with city water, can I just connect to the water and flush from the faucets until the water is clear? The only low point drain I can find is from the FW tank, and we don't plan to use it, at least not in the near future.

Mild rant: There was NO trailer-specific info from Jayco with this TT. Is that normal?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

Yes the city water connection goes directly into the water system, doesn't use the water pump and will not fill the water tank. So yes you can flush the system while hooked to city water. You should have two low point drains usually one sprayed red and the other blue, they will drain any water in the lines above the tank, mine sit on the floor in the compartment next to the HWT, look under the trailer for two tubes next to each other, valves will be inside above
Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

Thanks! I found one open tube under the trailer, but couldn't find any valves above it. There is an access door under the shower that I didn't remove yet. Could that be the "mystery location"?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

There is usually a low point drains sticker down low on the outside of the trailer near the drain tubes. This is what the valves look like from inside, you pull them up to open down to close.
Attached Thumbnails
0918 low point 03.jpg  
Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #11

OK, it's dark now so I'll check in the morning. I think I saw (actually more like felt) two valves like that under the bathroom sink, which would be near the Low Point Drain decal on the outside. There was not any colored tubing, though.

Let me say a big "thank you" for the great help!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #12

Sometimes they use colored tubing, mine are clear tubes spray painted only on the inside near the valves, where they show outside through the floor they are clear.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #13

I have the same model and year trailer. Yes, the low point drains are under the sink.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #14

Success. Thanks for all the help.

By the light of day, I found the two drain tubes (right above the gray/black tank outlet pipe). The two drain valves were under the bathroom sink. Opened all the faucet and shower controls, then opened the two drain valves, and all the anti-freeze drained into the bucket that I had placed beforehand.

Next step is to flush fresh water through the lines, align the water heater valves, and we will be all set.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #15

Great to hear you are finding everything. Now you need to sanitize the water system with bleach to kill off any bacteria before you drink or wash any dishes.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #16

Glad to hear your getting to know your htt. We love ours!

The screws that held the plywood seat cover in place to access the water heater came out the first time we accessed the area, and never went back in. Now I have quick and easy access.

The low point drains under the bathroom sink, I popped out the false panel so I can access the valves easier. That is also now the area where we store any chemicals.

I also removed the false panel behind the door to access the water pump. Having these things removed make maintenance easer and no one even knows.

Happy camping.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote