Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #21

Since I don't know how to get snipped quotes into these messages . . .

Allamuchy Joe and Rustic Eagle -

You might notice that our signature has changed. After much reflection we have changed our x23b order to the x19h. That gives us nearly 600 more lbs. of cargo capacity and we like the idea of having some excess towing capacity. I'm thinking of increased safety, but the "big guy" is thinking kegger party. (Yeah, like THAT's gonna happen.)

AJ - Thanks for speaking your mind and sharing your concern. We can always upgrade later if/when we find a bigger TV that we enjoy as much as the MDX.

I had already downloaded the instructions that one of you suggested. This RV'ing thing is way more complex than I had contemplated, but I am slowing plowing my way along the learning curve.

These forums are great. I have learned so much in the past few days - and I keep all the notes and tips on hand.

Again, thanks for your help.

K
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
Do not see any mention of a brake controller for your TV. I am going to assume you have one or the dealer is installing one for you. Also look into putting a product called Refletix in the windows of your beds. It is available at Home Depot or other stores. Just cut it to fit in the windows behind the screens. It will help cool your trailer a lot.
I need to check out this Refletix as I have seen it several times in the Forum.

The MDX has a brake controller and I believe that the WDH comes from the dealer. I guess I will post a thread about which brand.

Thanks for your suggestions.

K
Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #23

With the x19h you can use a little more counter top space and what many of us have done is to add an extension on the end. You'll find when cooking an extra 12" or so comes in real handy. If your a little handy you can make your own for a custom fit like mine. With it raised you can still go in and out the door when it's in the raised position.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
snip...... This RV'ing thing is way more complex than I had contemplated, but I am slowing plowing my way along the learning curve. .....snip
Taking the time such as you have to understand the towing relationship between a TV and TT now will pay dividends, making for an enjoyable camping experience going forward. Also, you will be a sustaining resource for others as they enter the "newbie" world

Enjoy the camping season!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #25

Quote:

You might notice that our signature has changed. After much reflection we have changed our x23b order to the x19h. That gives us nearly 600 more lbs. of cargo capacity and we like the idea of having some excess towing capacity. I'm thinking of increased safety, but the "big guy" is thinking kegger party. (Yeah, like THAT's gonna happen.)

AJ - Thanks for speaking your mind and sharing your concern. We can always upgrade later if/when we find a bigger TV that we enjoy as much as the MDX.

I had already downloaded the instructions that one of you suggested. This RV'ing thing is way more complex than I had contemplated, but I am slowing plowing my way along the learning curve.

These forums are great. I have learned so much in the past few days - and I keep all the notes and tips on hand.

K
I think you will be very happy with the X19H. Your overall camping experience from leaving your driveway, towing your rig and camping will be much more enjoyable. My wife and I would have purchased the X19H years ago if the Honda Pilot we owned had a tow rating of 5000 pounds. The 4500 pound rating left us only with the X17Z option.

Enjoy your new trailer and we look forward to the first after-action report!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
With the x19h you can use a little more counter top space and what many of us have done is to add an extension on the end. You'll find when cooking an extra 12" or so comes in real handy. If your a little handy you can make your own for a custom fit like mine. With it raised you can still go in and out the door when it's in the raised position.
That looks so nice! We are not skilled in that way. Is this something we can just and attach? Also, what do you have over your burners? Again, is there something that just fits over the x19 burners? Your galley area is so functional and it looks great. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #27

Quote:
That looks so nice! We are not skilled in that way. Is this something we can just and attach? Also, what do you have over your burners? Again, is there something that just fits over the x19 burners? Your galley area is so functional and it looks great. Thanks for the tip.

I bought the Camco cover for the stove from amazon. Hard wood with a non-slip bottom.

Also I believe camco makes an add-on counter.
mnebinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #28

I'm 5'-8" and the DW is just 5' so for us the microwave on the bottom is safer and easier. Just so you know there is enough space for just the 3 burner range without the oven and the wave on the bottom. There's no information on that from Jayco but it all works. The space that the wave came from will double your storage. The door I bought used and removed the center panel and inserted ribbed glass to match the 2 doors above the sofa. Just buy a cutting board and set it on top of the range. The shelf extension is an easy make and got the brackets on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #29

My counter top extension was made from shelf material from Lowes in a 2'x4' sheet. Cut it stained it and mounted it, total actual work time is just under 3 hrs. With the shelf up you can still go in and out the door, shelf 12" wide- and 16" left to walk around.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
that the dealer can install so that we can carry our bikes on the back bumper of the TT?
  • Can someone tell me about a 12V converter for a Resmed C-pap? Do they work?
My CPAP works just fine in my 19h. Just plug it into an outlet.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
My CPAP works just fine in my 19h. Just plug it into an outlet.
Thanks, but I was thinking of dry camping. Would it run on a full battery, or . . . ? If not, we can use a generator but won't we also need a converter . . . or something?

Sorry, but I am so new to this that I don't even know how to ask the question.

K
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Thanks, but I was thinking of dry camping. Would it run on a full battery, or . . . ? If not, we can use a generator but won't we also need a converter . . . or something?

Sorry, but I am so new to this that I don't even know how to ask the question.

K

Finally a question that I can really answer!

For dry camping, the best thing to do is purchase a 12v cord for the CPAP machine. It'll be pricey, but it's a one-time expense. The cord has a cigarette lighter plug on one end.

I never got around to putting a 12v receptacle in my old camper. I just bought a cord from Harbor Freight that has the 12v female receptacle on one end and alligator clips on the other. I connected the clips to the battery on the tongue and stuck the other end into the bunk.

The downside to this is you can't use a heated humidifier as they require 120VAC to heat the water.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #33

Quote:

K
We will be picking up our X19H from Richardson's on August 11th. Maybe we will see you there!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #34

X19H with a Buick Enclave TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
I think you will be very happy with the X19H. Your overall camping experience from leaving your driveway, towing your rig and camping will be much more enjoyable. My wife and I would have purchased the X19H years ago if the Honda Pilot we owned had a tow rating of 5000 pounds. The 4500 pound rating left us only with the X17Z option.

Enjoy your new trailer and we look forward to the first after-action report!
I intend to pull my X19H with a Buick Enclave that has a 4500 lb. towing capacity with my included trailering package. Since the spec. on an unloaded 19H is 3350 lbs., I assume that I am well within my capability. Whaddayathink?

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnebinger View Post
Finally a question that I can really answer!

For dry camping, the best thing to do is purchase a 12v cord for the CPAP machine. It'll be pricey, but it's a one-time expense. The cord has a cigarette lighter plug on one end.

I never got around to putting a 12v receptacle in my old camper. I just bought a cord from Harbor Freight that has the 12v female receptacle on one end and alligator clips on the other. I connected the clips to the battery on the tongue and stuck the other end into the bunk.

The downside to this is you can't use a heated humidifier as they require 120VAC to heat the water.
You may also be happy with my follow up question . . .

I understand now about the alligator clips to the female 12 V, but next to the photo of that there was a male 12V to female 12V receptable, which looked slightly safer than those alligator clips. Is there a 12V outlet somewhere in the x19h?

Thanks for your previous answer. We are making good progress thanks to all the helpful people on the Forum.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarrin View Post
I intend to pull my X19H with a Buick Enclave that has a 4500 lb. towing capacity with my included trailering package. Since the spec. on an unloaded 19H is 3350 lbs., I assume that I am well within my capability. Whaddayathink?
Quote:
We will be picking up our X19H from Richardson's on August 11th. Maybe we will see you there!

Well, that IS exciting. We are planning to go thru that very thorough Pre Delivery Inspection that was posted on the Forum (PDI) but we don't know our delivery date yet. The PDI is quite involved so we hope that the dealership will be a good sport about it.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #37

Quote:
You may also be happy with my follow up question . . .

I understand now about the alligator clips to the female 12 V, but next to the photo of that there was a male 12V to female 12V receptable, which looked slightly safer than those alligator clips. Is there a 12V outlet somewhere in the x19h?

Thanks for your previous answer. We are making good progress thanks to all the helpful people on the Forum.

If the x19h is the same setup as my x18d, yes there is a 12v outlet for a television. You'd have to look at the floor plan and see how far the television is from the bunk. I'd need a 10' extension to use that outlet. And have the extension draped across stuff to get it to the bunk. If that's what you're wanting, I would look at adding a 12v outlet closer to the bunk.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Our TV is an Acura MDX with a 5,000 lb tow capacity.

There are some recent posts by "Allamuchy" - and in one he recounted how their original TV was a Pilot with a 4,500 Tow capacity and that there salesperson was very upfront about not overloading the towing capacity of the TV.

The dry weight does not include options (such as power awning; battery; propane; etc) and these can add 350 - 400# of weight. Your TV cargo capacity assumes a full tank and one person of 150 lbs. You need to subtract any additional weight from the 4,500 and then see how much tow capacity that you have. You also need to subtract the real weight of the trailer plus anything else you have loaded for a trip.

In our case we started at the 5,000 pounds on the plus side. Then subtracted the "real weight" of the trailer, which we thought of about 3,700 lbs. The excess people (more than 150 lbs) and the dog was another 275 lbs (the dog is HUGE ); then we assumed that we tow with a few gallons of water only; hiking gear; clothing; minimal food; bedding; etc. We packed as though going on a trip and weighed everything and that was 450 lbs for some fairly light packing - not including bike gear.

So the math was 5,000 lbs towing capacity less the TOTAL of (excess people/dogs; 40# water; 450# minimal "everything else")for a combined total of nearly 4,500# (Not including bikes).

When we regrouped at the smaller x19h - we discovered that we could pack more comfortably; include our bikes and still be about 300 lbs under our limit of 5,000#.

So now we figure that we will be heading out in the x19h at about 4,700 lbs with room for a toy or two for grandkids or a case of local beer for Papi because our TV is rated at 5,000#

For some excellent advice on this and more, Please read this thread and good luck. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21276

Either way, we will be following your posts and hope to share some local camping insights. Happy Travels.

K
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnebinger View Post
If the x19h is the same setup as my x18d, yes there is a 12v outlet for a television. You'd have to look at the floor plan and see how far the television is from the bunk. I'd need a 10' extension to use that outlet. And have the extension draped across stuff to get it to the bunk. If that's what you're wanting, I would look at adding a 12v outlet closer to the bunk.
Hmm. I need to learn a lot more about the 12V system. I didn't know we could install another 12V receptacle . .

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #40

My wife and I are from Corona and we are picking up our new X23B from Richardson's later today. I am excited!
kinga07 is offline   Reply With Quote