Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
My own personal opinion, it's going to come down to how much you liked tent camping. I absolutely love our hybrid. You still get all the wonderful sounds of the wilderness as if you were in a tent, but with the luxuries of a full travel trailer. When you unzip all the windows it's pretty amazing to spend time in the trailer.

Now with as much as we enjoy our little x17z, once our kids move out here in a couple of years, the wife and myself will probably move into a standard trailer, something small like the hummingbird which was not available when we purchased our trailer. Also, had I known about hybrids not being allowed in some state parks due to bears, I probably would have looked at a few more standard trailers. But, I don't have any regrets purchasing our hybrid.

2016 Ford F150 XLT 2.7 EcoBoost
2016 Jay Feather X17Z
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Most of our camping is dry camping in the summer and we love our hybrid. Without a/c the hard side trailers can get pretty hot at night but having screens on three sides of you in a hybrid makes a big difference.

We've done some fall camping but only with electricity. Our little portable electric heater purrs away all night long; if it gets really cold there's always the propane furnace. Electric mattress pads make a BIG difference because there's not much on the bottom between you and the elements.

If you pack it up wet all you have to do is open up the ends for a while--no need to set everything up.

2009 Jayco 17C, 2015 F150, 2004 Ford Ranger
Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
We just bought our first trailer of any kind, so maybe my opinion will change, but I really like our hybrid. We shopped for small travel trailers, and they felt claustrophobic and dark to us. We didn't want anything big to pull around, and our x17z was the perfect size. To get a travel trailer the same size, we would have sacrificed room inside (because the hybrid beds are outside) and sleeping capacity. We can easily sleep five in our hybrid, without being cramped at all. Six is possible, if one of the people is really small and can fit on the fold-out couch. In the smaller travel trailers we looked at, four was really the max. Also, with the bunk ends out and all of the windows open/unzipped, the hybrid has a very open feel to it.
2013 Jayco Jay Feather X17Z
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
SteveMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
We had been tent camping for years. Once I decided that I needed hot & cold running water, a flush toilet and a shower... Fabric walls were NOT going to be part of the equation. Totally personal matter. I didn't want the extra chore of having to deal with wet/damp fabric walls after an outing any more.

Having chosen the glamping path, no regrets. Including having to haul a large & heavy box up and down the hills.
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
I keep reading all the pros and cons about popups or hybrids. We like to camp, we don't RV. After leveling, I work on the outside(cords and hoses) while my wife does the inside stuff(putting the support in and putting a fitted sheet and blanket on.) We don't need hospital corners and fancy comforters and pillows on the bed. If we get a little cool so be it, we camp to get out of town and enjoy the outdoors. If this isn't for you then get an RV so you can be just like home. Each to his own, that's why they make so many different kinds.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #16
I have a x23b and like it a lot. As far as setup doesn't take to long to flip the ends down or up. About 5 mins or so. I don't need a ladder to do it and I am only 5'6". We just leave the sheets on the beds for faster setup. I have closed it up in the rain. Just had to open it up when got home to dry out. I have also setup in the rain which is no biggie just walk in the door of the camper make favorite drink and grab a rain coat and good to go. The tent ends for us provide a little more camping and tenting feel. However yes you can here noises outside easily which is good and bad depending if it is a loon or a person in the next campsite. If the noise is unpleasant I just turn on the bunk fans for some white noise. It is nice towing a shorter lighter unit as well. With that all being said I do always have one eye open for a 5th wheel but just not sure if I want to spend the extra $$ and lose out on some of the tenting feel....
2014 6.6L Duramax 2500hd CrewCab
2011 x23b
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #17
Definitely gonna make the shift from a hybrid to a TT soon. Have had our 16 xlr for a year now. Condensation in the bunk ends is a battle and problem any time the outside temp drops to where you are not running the AC, even with pup gizmos. The set up and take down is not a problem for us, much quicker than with our old pop up but a little longer than with our A frame Flagstaff was. Manly becasue we now have to hook up to sewer. Looking at the Riverside Whitewater 19 footer.
BigGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #18

My wife and I just finished a 2 month camping trip and never opened the ends.
This weekend our son and his family are going camping in it and there are 7 of them.
Someday though we will have a hard sided tt for primarily just my wife and I.
2011 X23B
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #19
My family loves the 2013 X20E Hybrid we have. Most of the points mentioned are great. I really think it comes down to the type of experience you want. If you want quiet, go hard shell. If you want to enjoy the feel of camping under canvass and all the sounds that come with that, they you want a HTT.
Wayne, Kim, Mallory & Abby the Dog
2013 - Jayco Jayfeather - X20E
2012 - Toyota Tacoma DBLCB Sr5 with towing package
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
We tent camped for 15 years, moved to 2 different Coleman tent trailers for 20 years, loved them. Hubby wanted something newer, hard sided. I loved the tent trailer. I wanted the sounds and fresh air of camping. We discovered hybrids, bought the X23F last November. Love it. I can set up all 3 queen beds easily, but sometimes use a 6 inch foldable stool. We visit our kids and grandkids in SoCal for 5 weeks in spring, and Denver in fall. Hubby wanted the big one so we can fit in the grandkids, and I'm so glad now. Lots of floor space on a rainy day, easy set up and tear down, lots of storage. We've always carried a box of earplugs, learned from our tent trailer days. We cook and wash dishes outside, and use the bathroom sparingly - like when they closed all the campground bathrooms for renovation during spring break. (???) If I have to spend my camping time cleaning kitchens and bathrooms, I'll stay home.

Again, it's totally preference, but I would buy a hybrid again. Maybe sooner!

- Cathy
2015 X23F/2013 Ford F150

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote