Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Pros and Cons of Hybrids vs. 24-25 foot Travel Trailers

Hey Forum!

I have been focused solely on researching the perfect travel trailer for our family of 4 (2 boys - 6 & 8), but have only been focused on Ultralight Travel Trailers (White Hawk, Jay Flight, Forest River Surveyor). I just spoke with a veteran RV camper who has owned it all, and she suggested I consider a hybrid for our first trailer. Her main "point" was that the kids will feel it to be more like tent camping because of the pop outs....

Anyway, I was wondering what your advice and thoughts were. For those of you who have owned Hybrid, do you see yourself wishing for a traditional travel trailer in the near future? Does it feel too "cramped" inside? How about the pop outs---are they warm enough? How about moisture with those that have canvas siding?

Any other considerations?

Thanks!

Erica

ebell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

We had the Jayco X23B. Loved it! We had up to eight people sleeping in it. Tents ends opened made it about 28 ft. long. Only weighed about 4000 lbs. dry. Only suggestion, make the beds with one person inside and the other outside. Even with the slide in you could walk around and access everything. We have upgraded to a fifth wheel now but always enjoyed our hybrid. Good luck!

richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #3

We owned a beautiful high wall PUP and looked long and hard for several years at different HTT units. We finally went with a TT over the HTT. The HTT cannot be beat for floorplan maximization, and they come in a wide array of layouts. Many of them are super nice. However, we determined that we were done with canvas. We were tired of being concerned about putting it up wet, maintaining the mesh (tears easily), losing insulation in weather (hot and cold), and noise and security. These were the main drawbacks that we decided to move on from with our PUP. An HTT would not alleviate these problem areas for us. So we went for a TT with a Murphy bed floorplan. It is not quite as open as an HTT, but it is a very nice compromise. Jayco has bunk house Murphy models and a hard sided slide out bed model or two.

That's just our take on it. We dealt with canvas a lot, and we were ready to move on from it. While an HTT does minimize the canvas impact, it still has canvas and the limitations that come with canvas. The biggest advantage of an HTT for us was the floorplan. With our Jay Feather 23RBM, we got a neat couple's camper with a ton of space and just enough versatility. See what you think about the Jayco bunk houses and Murphy models with bunks.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Our story is similar to Richie's. we bought the 23B to see how we liked trailering and upgrade if we wanted in deeper. We found it to be an excellent trade-off between towed length and sleeping space. Since the bunks fold up they don't occupy any of the interior living space.
We enjoyed the tent feel and had no issues with condensation. We spent a few nights in it where the temp dropped to the high 20's and were comfortable, blanket+down comforter and the elec space heater (saving propane) as the primary heat source.
We traded to a 39' 5er but still fondly remember and talk about the HTT.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Site Team

We never considered one mainly because I had canvas popups in another life and wanted a "roof" over my head.

Nothing wrong with them but if you camp a lot, IMO a hard roof is more desirable.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

Our first camper was a hybrid, and we really liked it the first 2 years.

After the 3rd year I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Therefore my advice is to do yourself a favor and go directly to a travel trailer.

It was my experience that hybrids take more time to set up and break down, and required carrying a 4' ladder with us to assist in that process. They can't be put away wet, nor are they as warm as claimed (and I had pop-up gizmo's). DW and I hated having to climb over each other to get in/out of bed, the kids sleeping together wore off fast. I could go on...

Just one man's opinion of course.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

The old saying is "buy your third trailer first", and that's what happened to us. We had a pop-up for five years and by the time we got rid of it, we couldn't wait to sign over the papers. We traded it in for a 19ft hybrid, which was great and we kept that for 9 years. But the hassle -- and for us, it was a hassle -- of setting up the bunk ends every time, being at the mercy of the weather both early and late in the camping season, dealing with the condensation and the possibility of mold and mildew if the tenting was wet, campground noises, setting up and tearing down in bad weather, etc etc, forced our hand into trading it in for our current Jayco. Now our setup time is literally half of what it was with the hybrid.

All of the stuff you either love or hate in a pop-up or travel trailer will also be in a hybrid; it is literally the best and worst of both worlds. Now that we've completed our second camping season with a TT, there's no way we'd ever go back.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

We had a "hybrid", and LOVED it..... for about two seasons... once we figured out that we needed to dry-out the fold-outs from rain or dampness; once we figured out that the "after-trip" work was as difficult as it was with a PUP, we looked for a hard side floor plan that we liked.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #9

When we were in the market for our first travel trailer, we were set on a hybrid. Then, after doing lots of looking, it seemed that any used HTT we went in to had a canvas issues. We then realized it was one more thing we didn't want to deal with.
However, if you need to keep weight down, pack a lot into a little package, and have the motivation to take some extra care of the canvas, I think they are great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Our story is similar to Richie's. we bought the 23B to see how we liked trailering and upgrade if we wanted in deeper. We found it to be an excellent trade-off between towed length and sleeping space. Since the bunks fold up they don't occupy any of the interior living space.
We enjoyed the tent feel and had no issues with condensation. We spent a few nights in it where the temp dropped to the high 20's and were comfortable, blanket+down comforter and the elec space heater (saving propane) as the primary heat source.
We traded to a 39' 5er but still fondly remember and talk about the HTT.
I'll chime in as we are completing our 4th season with our 2013 X23B.

Reds' comments are pretty much how I feel about our hybrid. We like the fact the beds are out of the living area. As far as noise and canvas goes, we like it. And with the A/C running it provides enough "white noise" you don't notice the crickets chirping. And where we camp, quiet hour is usually around 11:00 p.m., so that isn't an issue either. We really like the floor plan and it works for us.

Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote