Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

Post PUP VS Hybrid - our first weekend experience

Hi all,

After 7 years with a pop up camper we decided to upgrade and purchased a 2012 Jayco X18D. This past weekend we took our maiden voyage. We went to Devils Lake state park near Wisconsin Dells. It was cold, rainy, windy.... a typical April weekend in WI. AND WE HAD A GREAT TIME!!!

What a difference having some extra room, a bathroom, and a refrigerator makes. The last weekend in April is an annual camping trip we take, and our friends that we go with all have big 5th wheels and they didn't really mind the cold and wet, now I see why.

Everything was easier, set up, and tear down, keeping the camper clean, dry and warm, preparing meals, not having to go out in the pouring rain in the middle of the night to P.

Sunday turned out to be a nice day so we decided to stay until well after lunch... in the popup we would have left right after breakfast.
When we got home it only took a few minutes to unpack. My wife and I both said "really that’s it we are done?!"

As for the Jayco X18D, what a great camper! We had our two boys plus one brought a friend, and even with 5 of us in the camper we had room to move and didn’t feel like we were right on top of each other. We decided that we were just going to use everything freely and see what the campers are limits are. It was cold Friday and Saturday and the furnace ran almost all weekend. We used the shower, washed dishes, and used the camper bathroom freely. We never reached a holding tank limit and used less than 20lbs of propane. We did have to add a few gallons to the fresh water tank but everything worked like it is supposed to. Using the dump station was also a first for us. It was easy and not nasty at all.

Overall I would give this camper 5 Stars, it did everything we hoping it would do to make camping even more enjoyable for us!

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

Glad everything went well with you. I was glad to read that the dumping station was easy and not nasty.Like you we have moved up from a tent trailer. Our maiden voyage is set for may 18. Counting down the days!
sunstarsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

The bride and I were tent campers for several years and just got "busy" and haven't camped for years. As we're now emptynesters and I'm nearing retirement we started talking about camping again but I decided I'm too dang old and grumpy to sleep on the ground again (or even near the ground). So we decided to shop for a PUP. At the dealer I looked in the hybrid and was sold. I think it's a great comprimise between the available space and towed length.
That being said, our current plan (ask me again tomorrow) is after retirement to upgrade to a little larger hard-side TT or maybe a 5er (jury is still out) and do some longer duration outings.
We love our 23B but I find myself coveting my neighbors trailers.
Life is short and the world is big!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #4

In a popup, ready to go hybrid, need to upgrade from our Explorer first
jstor1 is offline   Reply With Quote