Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Q's after 1st outting w/17z.

Hello Everyone,

We just got back from our 1nt test run of our ntu 17z, at a buddies cottage. We only had electricity. Gravity filled water tank to 1/3 before leaving, to use to wash up, and flush the toilet the handful of times we used it.

Here's a few questions I was left with. I figured you are the best source for information: (thank you in advance)

1. Black/Grey water tanks. How long would you leave these before dumping? I've read posts where people only empty them if they are full(ish), and others who dump every time they leave CG. (I didn't dump today as I figured the local dumpstation would be very busy for Memorial day, and we're camping Friday again. I'll likely dump Thursday night after picking up the 17z from storage.)

2. WD hitch setup. What is the 'creeking' noise when turning? Is everything set up correctly? On the way home, I noticed a creeking noise coming from the trailer when turning. I thought it was my sway bar at first, but then realized it still made the noise after sway bar was removed.

3. 12v Battery.
What do you do when you get done camping with the battery? Just leave it hooked up? Unplug the wires from terminals? Bring it inside to recharge it? (I left it hooked up)

Overall, we're very impressed with the 17z, compared to our pop-up we had last year!
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

1. I usually dump black tank when it's at least 1/2 full or more as if it's low it doesn't dump well and you have leftovers.

2. The noise is only your trailer ball & hitch as it's metal on metal. Don't lube it as that just collects dirt and can wear ball/hitch faster.

3. I leave my battery hooked up all summer as I tow every week and it charges while towing and if we go dry camping I'll need it. But I take off and store/charge during the winter.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

thanks CMC!

So, it sounds like everything I did(or didn't do) is OK.

1. I've heard ppl say they dump the tanks, every time they are out, so I was worried, as I didn't dump anything yet.

2. 'creeking' is normal, and I should just deal with it. I just wanted reassurance by WD hitch isn't hooked up wrong or something.

3. Battery will stay installed, unless I don't plan on using it for extended periods of time, then i'd pull it out.

Now, I just need to get used to towing the "big trailer", instead of my old pop-up. I was driving ~55mph the whole way, and pretty sure I annoyed plenty of Holiday traffic behind me. Oh well, I'm sure it'll get more comfortable with every time I tow it, or back it up into CG.
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

You did everything fine from what I can read.
We went from a motorhome to an x20e. Second trip was this weekend. We've borrowed the in-laws before, and camp with oodles of other trailers so we have the town to help raise us in a way.
If you have any questions sometimes all you need to do is ask someone else at the campground. The hosts are usually lovely people who have been camping since before we were born.
Have fun and it will be second nature for both of us soon towing the giant bricks behind. Haha
Itsmeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

1. I dump my tanks on every trip. If the place where I am staying doesn't have the sewer hookup to do it, then I do it when I get home. My neighbor's sewer line runs along the side of my property (due to an easement, long story) and it has a couple of clean outs along the way. That's a perfect spot for me to dump my waste tanks. I also try to spray the black tank down after every trip.

2. Other than what has already been mentioned, if you have the friction sway control, those things can be pretty noisy when turning.

3. The only time my batteries (I have two) aren't hooked up for charging is when I am hauling the camper down the road, and I guess even then, they may be charged by the truck's charging system. This is one of the reasons I don't use deep cycle batteries.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

j_shoe99,

Addressing your questions:

1. I dump after every CG visit so that the tanks are 100% empty for the next trip, why carry the extra weight, and depending on the tank locations the added weight may effect tongue weight.

2. Assuming that the WDH (if you have one) is adjusted correctly, I would refer to the installation instructions for lubrication instructions (they all have some). Also, a little grease on the hitch ball will minimize wear and noise.

3. I f you leave you battery in the trailer, disconnect the negative cable on the battery. I remove my batteries and put them on the work bench with a battery tender/minder attached to them, that way I now I'm starting with fully charged batteries.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
j_shoe99,

Addressing your questions:

1. I dump after every CG visit so that the tanks are 100% empty for the next trip, why carry the extra weight, and depending on the tank locations the added weight may effect tongue weight.

2. Assuming that the WDH (if you have one) is adjusted correctly, I would refer to the installation instructions for lubrication instructions (they all have some). Also, a little grease on the hitch ball will minimize wear and noise.

3. I f you leave you battery in the trailer, disconnect the negative cable on the battery. I remove my batteries and put them on the work bench with a battery tender/minder attached to them, that way I now I'm starting with fully charged batteries.

Bob
#1 & #2 is what I do also.
As far as the battery, for now I have been pulling the 30 amp fuse outside at the battery.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #8

If there is the option (water in holding tank or hose) I'll help raise the black tank level so it will dump properly.
If you have the wdh like I used to have for my last rv, with the two solid, sliding square bars, they sell a quieting device, basically a teflon-like plastic piece, or just a very light coating of grease will help immensely.
Unless there is going to be a hard freeze, my batteries stay hooked up. If kept charged they can avoid freezing, so I plug in at home. One worry with having them hooked up and stored is electrical fire, so many have installed cut-off switch.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #9

Be aware that if you leave the battery hooked up to the RV between trips, there is a parasitic draw from the radio and Co2 detector that will run down the battery. That's why there should be a fuse in-line with the neg cable near the battery that you can pull to disconnect power without having to actually pull off the cable. As was mentioned, a battery cut off switch is a popular mod to replace that fuse. The other option is to leave the RV plugged into 110V power, where the converter will keep the battery at full charge.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

I would put a little grease on your hitch ball, It doesn't take much. Also I think sometimes the leafsprings might make a little racket when you're turning really sharp.

I put a cutoff switch on my battery so I don't have to go through the hassle of disconnecting, but over the winter I might if we weren't fulltiming anyway.

If your black tank has something in it just fill the tank up with water at the dump station before you dump. We run a hose in our bathroom door so we don't have to hook up a hose at the dump station, but if you don't have a way in a couple of 5 gallons bucket fulls will help. That stuff will make your camper stink if it sits long.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

We pull our batteries when the trailer is in storage and keep them on a battery tendor in the garage at home. I think this helps maximize the batteries life and this way I know the are always ready to go. Takes 10 min to remove and place on tendor, little bit of a PIA, but worth it to me.

I dump after each trip, adding water to the black tank if it's not at least 2/3 full after using it on the trip. Occasionally I'll use a bucket to move some grey to the black if my fresh water tanks are getting low.

Hitches are noisy. A little concerning at first, but then you get used to the "expected" noise your particular hitch makes -- especially while turning.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #12

I used to pull the fuse and leave the battery in its box. After several batteries went on a "walkabout" I started removing it. There is some parasitic drain when in storage (stereo, smoke / CO detector).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote