Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
tafische is bang-on with the wedding ring method (any tapping instrument will do). I asked the question about gauges myself and I think it was "taf" that suggested the ring-tap. I've used one of the color-changing strips in the past and would suggest you spend the $ on adult beverages instead (more useful). Weighing would be the most accurate I suspect but too much trouble.
Has anyone seen a 10# tank? like a "pony bottle" cave divers sometimes use. A 10# backup to a 30# tank would be like a 30% reserve.

RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Well be forewarned too like I said in the other thread - using your wedding ring for unintended uses can get you in trouble -- Mine is no longer round and has developed a crack...but I figure if I have not lost it in 20 years I am doing something right..lol...

They do make 4.5lb and 11lb tanks (and I am sure a few others) - but they are generally pretty expensive compared to a 20lb tank.

There are apparently some of the new gauges on the tanks that actually have some kind of float in the tank - now those should be accurate. I have not heard from anyone as to how well they work over the long haul.

2009 Jayco 26BH
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
I figure I'm pretty safe using the ring (we just wrapped up 36 years) since I'll be making sure the bride gets her breakfast and a hot shower. Not likely to damage it since it's titanium.
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
Wow - you guys are FANTASTIC! I've been out shopping for a tow vehicle all day and am exhausted! LOVE the tip for gloves - FOR MY HUSBAND! ; ). I put the food in and he will deal with the result. Great trade, I think. I love how you've all been married forever. We're just 11 years but I'm sure camping helps. LOVE the tip to save money on gauges to buy adult beverages. I'm gonna run with that one. Hubby hates it when I say, "But I saved so much over here so...". I tell him that I'm saving us right into the poor house. At least I'll have a new, paid-for trailer to go live in!

You guys are the best! And thanks.

PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
I just tried the hot water thing yesterday and that worked awesome. A little hot water is cheaper and easier than gauges or weighing the tank. Glad to have come across that advice here
2011 Jayco X18D
2003 GMC Safari
el.jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Have been on several trips with dual 20's and am really surprised to see how little was used. This is running fridge and water heater in transit and parked...had no electric at last 2 sites. Brought the tanks for fill yesterday and paid the minimum to fill them both - 5 lbs in one and 11 in the other. Seems to last a really long time to me.

Haven't had to run the furnace much yet though. I do have the RVQ and use the propane jack for that to cook on though.

Have fun!
Single father of 2 kids, 12 and 7 years old
2011 Jayfeather X19H
2008 Jeep Commander 4.7l
Equalizer E2 6000
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
We're going camping this weekend with ours. We got a full bottle when we bought the camper earlier this year, and I just checked it this morning and it's got a hair less than 2 gallons left in it. Since it's going to be a cold weekend at nights here (down in the 30s) I'm going to fill it up tomorrow before we leave town. We've several camps on it...1 night stay, 2 night stay (used the furnace one night since it was chilly), a 3 nighter, and two 6 night stays. All of those save for the one were without furnace. We did use our oven to cook brownies twice, and I made the boneheaded mistake of driving 2 hours with an oven burner turned on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there were a couple days in between there where we used the LP to power the fridge while we were en route to Disney World as well.

geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote